What's new

With The Philippines’ president Ferdinand Marcos watching, US Army HIMARS fires 6 times but misses target in South China Sea

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

With The Philippines’ president Ferdinand Marcos watching, US Army HIMARS fires 6 times but misses target in South China Sea​

By SETH ROBSONSTARS AND STRIPES • April 26, 2023
Fuo6H6-agAEkdgh

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. uses binoculars to observe the live-fire sea drills of the Philippines and the United States on April 26, 2023. (via Twitter/@bongbongmarcos)

SAN ANTONIO, Philippines — The Philippines’ president was on hand Wednesday as one of the U.S. Army’s best-known weapons missed its target — a decommissioned warship floating miles away in the South China Sea — during a live-fire exercise.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. observed from a tower as the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, or HIMARS, fired six times at the Philippine navy corvette, invisible over the horizon, and a narrator over a public address system described the action down range. U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Carlson sat beside Marcos.

The two HIMARS launchers — designed to strike targets on land — missed each time, but a barrage of ordnance from U.S. and Philippine artillery and aircraft eventually sank the vessel.

“Shore-based fire against a ship is exceptionally hard,” Lt. Col. Nick Mannweiler, a spokesman for Marine Corps Forces Pacific, said during the drill at Naval Station Leovigildo Gantioqui.

The training was part of Balikatan, an annual joint exercise involving more than 17,000 U.S. and Filipino troops that wraps up Friday.

Balikatan, the largest ever in terms of troop numbers, demonstrates further evidence of a decided shift by Marcos toward the Philippines’ longtime ally the United States. His predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, employed a friendlier approach toward regional rival China, which nonetheless continued to assert control over maritime territory the Philippines claims in the South China Sea.

The HIMARS’ failure to hit a vessel at sea wasn’t a big deal, according to Mannweiler. The training tested troops’ ability to sense a ship and pass targeting information to weapons operated by the U.S. and Philippines, he said.

The training “sets the condition for more fruitful work like this in future,” Mannweiler said.

Once the HIMARS was fired, artillerymen from the 25th Infantry Division and their Philippine counterparts pounded the boat with 105 mm and 155 mm rounds fired from howitzers. Those rounds were on target, said U.S. Army Maj. Jeff Tolbert, a spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division.

Finally, U.S. and Philippine aircraft took turns attacking the target boat with guns and bombs. An Air Force MQ-9 Reaper drone soared overhead, feeding images of the target to commanders calling in the attacks.

A Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II stealth fighter delivered the final blow, and the vessel sank around 2:50 p.m., Tolbert said.

The HIMARS launchers belong to 5th Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., said battalion commander Lt. Col. Tim Lynch.

Marcos inspected one of the launchers before the live-fire exercise. That launcher, dubbed Wild Bill, is part of Outlaw Platoon, said Alpha Battery commander Capt. Cody Dobiyanski, who showed Marcos around.

The U.S. provided HIMARS batteries, designed to strike targets on land, to Ukraine last year. It’s been credited with evening the odds for the Ukrainians, who are battling Russian invaders.

In combat, U.S. forces would likely use a torpedo or Harpoon missiles against a warship, Mannweiler said.

Philippine army Col. Mike Logico, director of the Joint Command Training Center, told reporters that Marcos understands the challenges of a large-scale bilateral exercise.

“What we demonstrated was the capabilities of the HIMARS and probably also its limitations,” he said.

Last edited:
HiMars is...fake?
This is a naval target, and rocket artillery does not have the same trajectory as artillery shell, it's usually will miss the target if you are doing shore base missile attack, unless that attack is guided.

As the article said

“Shore-based fire against a ship is exceptionally hard,” Lt. Col. Nick Mannweiler, a spokesman for Marine Corps Forces Pacific, said during the drill at Naval Station Leovigildo Gantioqui.

and

The HIMARS’ failure to hit a vessel at sea wasn’t a big deal, according to Mannweiler. The training tested troops’ ability to sense a ship and pass targeting information to weapons operated by the U.S. and Philippines, he said.

I can try to go deeper into the topic, but I doubt you would understand any of that unless I gave you a full artillery gunnery course

This is a naval target, and rocket artillery does not have the same trajectory as artillery shell, it's usually will miss the target if you are doing shore base missile attack, unless that attack is guided.

As the article said

and

I can try to go deeper into the topic, but I doubt you would understand any of that unless I gave you a full artillery gunnery course
Then probably it's still a good weapon, giving it 10 times it maybe can make a correct hit eventually.

Then probably it's still a good weapon, giving it 10 times it maybe can make a correct hit eventually.
Are you seriously quoting me on this issue?

I mean, have you tried to hit anything out at sea? First the parabola is difference because you are at sea and the earth is round. And then you need to put buoyance and the trajectory into calculations. You would have 5 variables (relativity of target, the bearing of the target, the status of the sea, the flight path and trajectory) instead of 3 variables (target, flight path and trajectory) to match up if you want to hit the ship afloat.

But then sure, with your extensive training on coastal artillery, what do I know? I bet you Mr Beijing himself can fire a Chinese Artillery and hit that ship with 1 hit kill and turn it into dust. LOL

Please don't quote me on stupid comment again

Are you seriously quoting me on this issue?

I mean, have you tried to hit anything out at sea? First the parabola is difference because you are at sea and the earth is round. And then you need to put buoyance and the trajectory into calculations. You would have 5 variables (relativity of target, the bearing of the target, the status of the sea, the flight path and trajectory) instead of 3 variables (target, flight path and trajectory) to match up if you want to hit the ship afloat.

But then sure, with your extensive training on coastal artillery, what do I know? I bet you Mr Beijing himself can fire a Chinese Artillery and hit that ship with 1 hit kill and turn it into dust. LOL

Please don't quote me on stupid comment again
I m agreeing with you, it's still a good weapon, 6 times don't mean anything, 10 times are more reasonable

Last edited:
I m agreeing with you, it's still a good weapon, 6 times don't mean anything, 10 times are more reasonable
That's why talking technical military stuff with you yahoos are pointless.

If your definition of "Good Weapon" is for you to hit a ship with ground base rocket artillery, then your definition is wrong. Because it's pure luck you are talking about, as 2 of the variable I mentioned before constantly changing, you cannot dictate how current flow and how the tides goes, and being a naval target, they don't stay at one place. Because even a ship is unpowered, it will still drift in 3 axises, up and down, forward and backward, and side to side.

So if you can hit it, you can hit it with 1 round fired, because it would have been a complete luck base allotment. Which make your point moot.

That's why talking technical military stuff with you yahoos are pointless.

If your definition of "Good Weapon" is for you to hit a ship with ground base rocket artillery, then your definition is wrong. Because it's pure luck you are talking about, as 2 of the variable I mentioned before constantly changing, you cannot dictate how current flow and how the tides goes, and being a naval target, they don't stay at one place. Because even a ship is unpowered, it will still drift in 3 axises, up and down, forward and backward, and side to side.

So if you can hit it, you can hit it with 1 round fired, because it would have been a complete luck base allotment. Which make your point moot.
It's still a good weapon, "allies" are still going to buy them.

It's still a good weapon, "allies" are still going to buy them.
Sure, not as good as the Chinese rocket Artillery? Which can one hit kill any ship....LOL

Tell me, when do China replace all those shore base anti-ship missile with those wonder MLRS?

Sure, not as good as the Chinese rocket Artillery? Which can one hit kill any ship....LOL

Tell me, when do China replace all those shore base anti-ship missile with those wonder MLRS?
Irelevant to the thread, 6 strikes with no kills is ok, don't worry.

Irelevant to the thread, 6 strikes with no kills is ok, don't worry.
It's only irreverent because you know shit all about artillery.......

On the other hand, what kind of stupid arse would think you can sink a ship even with 6 hits from a 90kg M30 Warhead......

Seriously, don't quit your day job.

Back
Top Bottom