What's new

Why U.S. rail travel is so expensive

I still wonder , here travel by train cost you 1/5th to 1/7th the cost of travel by air .
our country is not as big as China or USA but still . its hard for people from this corner of the world to accept there is logical reason for trains be more expensive
It's not train being expensive, but air travel is REALLY cheap in the US. I have had $1 ticket from New York to Atlanta.

The thing about air travel is, every bit of infrastructure in the US are long established, it's already paid for since the 1950s, and unlike railway, you don't need to continuously maintain tracks and other surface infrastructure like crossing or signal system, all you need is to look after the aircraft and the airport. That's account for the reason why air travel is so cheap in the US.

Whether you like to have it or not got nothing to do with me, many Americans still want it and you, as a Chinese, have no say for Americans, Americans can speak for themselves.
Define "Many"

I always have a say on what American want, as I hold a US Passport myself, I have the right to vote on the issue according to my State and Federal Government. I know voting is not something you do in China, and you have absolutely shit power in China, again, what happened in China may not work for the US. Just because you as Chinese have no say on what China can or cannot do, I, as an American, can speak for what American will or will not do. PLUS, it didn't stop you, A NON-AMERICAN, to try to speak for "Many" American. LOL....

Again, it's dumb to think one system can work anywhere.

It's not train being expensive, but air travel is REALLY cheap in the US. I have had $1 ticket from New York to Atlanta.
China also has one Yuan flights (0.14 USD) , but thorse are very rare cases, I traveled a lot in US, getting around in US is expensive, not cheap

1. Red eye flight off season flight are cheap, don't think average flight is cheap. And you need take into count of end-to-end cost. Airport usually locate far away from city center while HSR is go through city center often connect to Metro station. And no luggage check-in no delay always on time, a lot quicker.

2. White American actually is afraid of share train with black American, consider it a mess and dangerous.

3. In Europe, number of middle size counties have its own HSR, but interconnection and management is a nightmare.

4. Take California HSR for example, delay and delay over budget politic quarrel, a total mess.

5. You feel tired jet legged after a flight, nothing after a HSR trip. You decide to go from Hangzhou to Shanghai for a business trip at lunch, hop on metro order e-ticket on phone, still manage to go back home at late dinner time. Without HSR, you need private flight to manage that.

Last edited:
China also has one Yuan flights (0.14 USD) , but thorse are very rare cases, I traveled a lot in US, getting around in US is expensive, not cheap

lol. When were you travel a lot in the US? 1970s? NYC to LAX is only $250 and that's not from low-cost carrier like Jet Blue, it's United

NY-LA.jpg

It's less than 10 cents per mile (2600 mile from NYC to LAX), if that's not cheap, then tell me what is?

On the other hand, If I buy a HSR Ticket in China from Beijing to Shenzhen, it will cost me $230 USD for 1300 mile journey. That's around 20 cents per mile, it's twice as expensive than that plane ticket

lol. When were you travel a lot in the US? 1970s? NYC to LAX is only $250 and that's not from low-cost carrier like Jet Blue, it's United

.View attachment 899478

It's less than 10 cents per mile (2600 mile from NYC to LAX), if that's not cheap, then tell me what is?
I can find cheaper air fare than that in China, many airlines have membership big discounts and special package program in China. but no matter how cheap they are, many people still prefer train ride, it's more comfortable and enjoyable, but people in US just don't have this option.

On the other hand, If I buy a HSR Ticket in China from Beijing to Shenzhen, it will cost me $230 USD for 1300 mile journey. That's around 20 cents per mile, it's twice as expensive than that plane ticket

️北京(BJS)飛去深圳(SZX)平機票低至HK$614

I can find cheaper air fare than that in China, many airlines have membership big discounts and special package program in China. but no matter how cheap they are, many people still prefer train ride, it's more comfortable and enjoyable, but people in US just don't have this option.
It's not discounted price, and it's not even low cost airline price, it's regular "I just need a ticket Price so I type the destination on the first ticketing website I can find" If I were to dig into loyalty program, or even low cost loyalty program, then I can probably get a lot more cheaper than that.

And for the last time, you can think whatever you want, do NOT expect everyone to think the same, what works for China may not work in the US. We don't have this option not because we can't build it, but because it can't survive, the aviation industry is too well developed to beat, Amtrac tried that with Acela back then when everybody is talking about the bullet train, it didn't work, it's not like there are no HSR before China built it, you are not the first one to ask why US did not have HSR like the one they do in Japan back in the 90s.

I mean, if you have spare billions dollar to burn, you are more than welcome to come to the US and build a HSR to have people "Try" it, otherwise it's just bullshit talks, and we can all bullshit.

价格“跳水” 百元机票让你“说走就走”​

中國民航新航季新開逾400條國內航線 東航推1折機票不足200元​

撰文:孫聖然
出版:2022-10-28 12:30

And for the last time, you can think whatever you want, do NOT expect everyone to think the same, what works for China may not work in the US. We don't have this option not because we can't build it, but because it can't survive, the aviation industry is too well developed to beat, Amtrac tried that with Acela, it didn't work, it's not like there are no HSR before China built it, you are not the first one to ask why US did not have HSR like the one they do in Japan back in the 90s.

I mean, if you have spare billions dollar to burn, you are more than welcome to come to the US and build a HSR to have people "Try" it, otherwise it's just bullshit talks, and we can all bullshit.
Let Americans talk, I know many American they really love China's HSR and dream to have them in US. You can't speak for Americans.

价格“跳水” 百元机票让你“说走就走”​

中國民航新航季新開逾400條國內航線 東航推1折機票不足200元​

撰文:孫聖然
出版:2022-10-28 12:30

Let Americans talk, I know many American they really love China's HSR and dream to have them in US. You can't speak for Americans.
And you can??

Dude, between you and me, I am guessing my US Passport get me "That Much" closer to speak for American??

So If I can't speak for American, what make you able to tell me American want High Speed Rail? I think I know my country better than you....

And lol, I can travel on any Sydney Train for Free until Friday, maybe Train IS for the future, we should just ditch our cars and planes.

Dude, quote the regular price, don't quote the discount or special event price.

Dreaming about HSR is good, but having a viable business plan for an HSR is better. :D
Dude is funny, you have to give him that.

On one hand, he keeps saying "I can't speak for all American", but this Chinese dude lecture me about what American want....LOL, so for whatever reason, me, as an American, who just voted in midterm by the way, have no say on other American, but him, AS A CHINESE, can say on behalf of American and tell me that All American (His word, not mine) want HSR....

Funny ain't it?

Last edited:
Dreaming about HSR is good, but having a viable business plan for an HSR is better. :D
No one forces them to have it, China's HSR is strongly backed up by the government, the government measure the cost with the overall benefits the HSR can bring to overall local economies, if you only think about cover the cost by selling train tickets, HSR can never be "viable".

And you can??

Dude, between you and me, I am guessing my US Passport get me "That Much" closer to speak for American??
So you are an American?

So you are an American?
No, I am an Australian, Swedish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Iraqi and whatever I have been accused of in the history of PDF..........

I am whatever you accused me to be.

No one forces them to have it, China's HSR is strongly backed up by the government, the government measure the cost with the overall benefits the HSR can bring to overall local economies, if you only think about cover the cost by selling train tickets, HSR can never be "viable".

Thank you for the admission: HSR is not viable without huge ongoing government subsidies. End of story.

No, I am an Australian, Swedish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Iraqi and whatever I have been accused of in the history of PDF..........
So I guess you yourself even don't know what you are, life must be very confusing, isn't it.

Thank you for the admission: HSR is not viable without huge ongoing government subsidies. End of story.
Not by only selling tickets, but why do many countries have HSR? cause not everyone takes your standard of "viable".

So I guess you yourself even don't know what you are, life must be very confusing, isn't it.
First of all, I know what I am, you just don't think that way.

Second of all, having their passport does not identify you as their nationality. As I said, I have 5 passport, and "American-Australian-British-Chinese-Swedish" this is not a nationality.

And you are asking a question that have no answer, unless you have another nationality, you don't really know shit.

And this is way beyond HSR, I suggest you drop it.

Not by only selling tickets, but why do many countries have HSR? cause not everyone takes your standard of "viable".

Their money, their standard of viable. Our money, our standard of viable. See how that works? :D

Back
Top Bottom