What's new

Why U.S. rail travel is so expensive

We will build it if and when we determine we can make a proper case for building it. Get it?
like now?

like now?

LOL.

If you read your own link the companies have failed to make a viable business case for any of the lines, and are now begging for government subsidies to make them. That is not the way USA does things. This is not China, thank heavens! :D

LOL.

If you read your own link the companies have failed to make a viable business case for any of the lines, and are now begging for government subsidies to make them. That is not the way USA does things. This is not China, thank heavens! :D
See, I told you they should just give up

So they should give up trying, it's a waste of money and time.

No, they should keep evaluating to see if and when a viable business case can be made for it. If and when HSR is viable for USA, we will make it happen.

I still wonder , here travel by train cost you 1/5th to 1/7th the cost of travel by air .
our country is not as big as China or USA but still . its hard for people from this corner of the world to accept there is logical reason for trains be more expensive

Well not only the upfront costs of development but also the government subsidizing plays a key role in prices.

Earlier I posted how the Chinese rail system is almost $1 Trillion in debt. They aren't actively soaking the ridership to reclaim that money. So whether they charge $1 or $500 for a ticket isn't telling the whole story on actual costs.

Some countries in Europe have had HSR since the 1970's. If they are charging high prices 50 years later this is probably reflecting close to actual maintenance costs as you'd expect they have recouped their initial building investment by now.

No, they should keep evaluating to see if and when a viable business case can be made for it. If and when HSR is viable for USA, we will make it happen.
Ok, they can keep pouring in money for nothing for another decade, it's their choice, not our business.

Well not only the upfront costs of development but also the government subsidizing plays a key role in prices.

Earlier I posted how the Chinese rail system is almost $1 Trillion in debt. They aren't actively soaking the ridership to reclaim that money. So whether they charge $1 or $500 for a ticket isn't telling the whole story on actual costs.

Some countries in Europe have had HSR since the 1970's. If they are charging high prices 50 years later this is probably reflecting close to actual maintenance costs as you'd expect they have recouped their initial building investment by now.
How does the cost compare to raising GDP by 3%

it's their choice, not our business.

Our money, our choice. Now can we please stop? Don't you have to catch a wonderful shiny new highest technology high speed train to somewhere in your own country? :D

2. White American actually is afraid of share train with black American, consider it a mess and dangerous.

Not just the train but also the buses check it out
Oh wait I'm mistaken this video is about an African who says Chinese people are afraid to sit near a black man on the bus or subway.

Why you think developed means people living a lifestyle in line with Western expectations ? are you being overly narcissistic?

How are you defining meeting the definition of developed in the last 10 years?

Why is some farmer who lives a perfectly happy life on some island country in the middle of the pacific somehow not living a "developed" life.

I'm pretty sure the definition of "developed" is set to some Western defined standard of "achievement".

Ok, they can keep pouring in money for nothing for another decade, it's their choice, not our business.

How does the cost compare to raising GDP by 3%

Why don't you increase your train speed by 1000X and see if it increases your GDP by 1000X.

There is this notion of diminishing returns...

Last edited:
How are you defining meeting the definition of developed in the last 10 years?

Why is some farmer who lives a perfectly happy life on some island country in the middle of the pacific somehow not living a "developed" life.

I'm pretty sure the definition of "developed" is set to some Western defined standard of "achievement".
Development level is defined by UN and many international organizations. who told you western life style is "developed", you are a super narcissistic guy.

Why don't you increase your train speed by 1000X and see if it increases your GDP by 1000X.

There is this notion of diminishing returns...
Who told you to increase train speed by 1000X will see increases of GDP by 1000X? are you really this dumb?

Broken US infrastructure doesn't bother me the slightest, enjoy.
Do you see US boasting about our sorry state of infrastructure the way you guys boasts about China's rails? But it is telling, though. It must sucks for your shiny new HSR that you, every few months, bring it on to vainly try to impress the Americans here only to find we do not care.

Back
Top Bottom