What's new

Why public transit in US is so awful?

And how do you know that our living standards are incredibly low we live near D.C. so everyone have a own cars I have 2 cars so we don't need mass public transport system
Because everyone is forced to buy cars. You sound like someone who listens to lunacy-spreading conservative channels like PragerU. Car centrism is destroying the US. There are so many reasons why car-centric cities are disastrous, anyone who has studied urban planning at even the most basic level knows this.

Cars are a significant source of air pollution, emitting greenhouse gases and harmful pollutants like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. This contributes to smog, respiratory problems, and climate change. Car-centric cities promote heavy car usage, leading to higher emissions and worsening air quality. EVs won't be changing this as the production of electric vehicle batteries involves the extraction and processing of raw materials, such as lithium, cobalt, and nickel. Mining and processing these materials have severe environmental consequences, including, CO2 emissions habitat destruction and water pollution.

Car-centric planning leads to urban sprawl, with low-density developments and extensive road networks. This increases infrastructure costs, as more roads and utilities need to be built and maintained. It also results in longer travel distances and increased car dependency. As cities spread out, people need to travel longer distances between home, work, and essential services. This leads to increased traffic congestion and longer commuting times, wasting time and pollution. Expanding urban areas necessitate further roads and highways, which increase vehicle traffic and emissions. The constant flow of traffic also contributes to noise pollution, affecting the well-being of residents. As cities sprawl, more infrastructure, such as roads, utility networks, and public services, needs to be extended. This incurs higher costs for construction, maintenance, and operation, putting a strain on local budgets and resources. If all of this wasn't enough,
urban sprawl leads to the loss of community cohesion and a sense of place. With residents spread out over large distances, social interactions and a sense of belonging to a community diminishes, impacting overall well-being and mental health. When cities prioritize cars over pedestrian-friendly spaces, people are less likely to interact with their neighbours and communities. This can negatively impact social cohesion and a sense of belonging.

Relying heavily on cars can result in traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. This leads to wasted time and increased stress for commuters and results in economic losses due to decreased productivity and increased fuel consumption. Car ownership isn't cheap so not everyone can afford it. Car-centric cities marginalize low-income communities that struggle to access essential services and opportunities due to limited or no public transportation options.

Car-centric cities require vast amounts of land dedicated to parking spaces, which could otherwise be used for more valuable purposes like housing, parks, or community spaces. The focus on car infrastructure comes at the expense of investing in public transportation, alternative mobility solutions, and sustainable urban planning. This limits the city's ability to adapt to future challenges and opportunities.

Car-centric cities discourage physical activity and active transportation options like walking and cycling. Lack of safe pedestrian and cycling infrastructure can lead to sedentary lifestyles, obesity, and related health issues. In Europe, streets belong to people, not cars.

Don't even get me started on noise pollution. Cars contribute to noise pollution in urban areas, affecting residents' quality of life, sleep patterns, and overall well-being.

Why Cities Are Banning Cars Around The World​

Why do you think so many countries that have higher living standards than the US focus so heavily on building public transport systems? Do you think European and Asian states are stupid for going out of their way to invest billions in building multiple public transport systems?

Why Public Transportation Sucks in the US​

The Car Paradox: How Car Centric Infrastructure is Ruining America​

How highways make traffic worse​

How to make traffic better, not worse​

Why Transit Cities are Better for Everyone​

This comparison between Hong Kong and Houston should be eye-opening for Americans.

The fact that Americans love advocating for equality and climate change while choosing to ignore public transport is mind-boggling to me. @That Guy Thank God Canadians aren't like Americans regarding public transport.

Last edited:
which part of Beijing's subway you like to compare with? just tell us

46 Chinese cities have underground subways, which one you like to compare with? with cities? which lines?

微信图片_20230405222013.png

View attachment 941260View attachment 941261

View attachment 941263
Just stop comparing old New York subway station and newest Chinese subway station this is not fair to me

Just stop comparing old New York subway station and newest Chinese subway station this is not fair to me
The world's largest economy should have the best public transport systems on the planet. I am not a hater of the US but it pisses me off greatly when I see the state of public transport in the US, especially when you compare the US with the rest of the developed world.

The world's largest economy should have the best public transport systems on the planet. I am not a hater of the US but it pisses me off greatly when I see the state of public transport in the US, especially when you compare the US with the rest of the developed world.
You have bogus logic almost in USA everyone have so we don't need mass public transport system and public transport systems in third world countries has worst emission problems than USA

You have bogus logic almost in USA everyone have so we don't need mass public transport system and public transport systems in third world countries has worst emission problems than USA
Yes, the rest of the developing world is dumb as f**k for investing hundreds of billions of dollars in building public transport networks. Do you think Europeans, Hongkongers, Singaporeans, South Koreans and Japanese can't afford cars? If you had a functioning brain you would have thoroughly read my previous post. I can cite countless research papers that have proven how disastrous car centrism is but of course, all those researchers are wrong because you sir have declared that public transport is useless if you have a car. Imagine having your head buried so far beneath the surface that you deliberately ignore all facts presented to you, heck your own media is stating how disastrous car centrism is.

Yes, the rest of the developing world is dumb as f**k for investing hundreds of billions of dollars in building public transport networks. Do you think Europeans, Hongkongers, Singaporeans, South Koreans and Japanese can't afford cars? If you had a functioning brain you would have thoroughly read my previous post. I can cite countless research papers that have proven how disastrous car centrism is but of course, all those researchers are wrong because you sir have declared that public transport is useless if you have a car. Imagine having your head buried so far beneath the surface that you deliberately ignore all facts presented to you, heck your own media is stating how disastrous car centrism is.
USA has much less population than you refer so cars are easily available to everyone and lot cheaper and mass public transport is only good for big cities like New York/LA and not quite good for small cities or suburb

New York subway stations are not US subways, you can compare with any subways station of any cities in China, we don't only like to compare the best. besides, you claim that Beijing's subway is the same as bad as New York's, but just can't anwser where, why you just can't anwser this simply question, you pathetic liar.

微信图片_20230726012356.png

Because everyone is forced to buy cars. You sound like someone who listens to lunacy-spreading conservative channels like PragerU. Car centrism is destroying the US. There are so many reasons why car-centric cities are disastrous, anyone who has studied urban planning at even the most basic level knows this.

Cars are a significant source of air pollution, emitting greenhouse gases and harmful pollutants like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. This contributes to smog, respiratory problems, and climate change. Car-centric cities promote heavy car usage, leading to higher emissions and worsening air quality. EVs won't be changing this as the production of electric vehicle batteries involves the extraction and processing of raw materials, such as lithium, cobalt, and nickel. Mining and processing these materials have severe environmental consequences, including, CO2 emissions habitat destruction and water pollution.

Car-centric planning leads to urban sprawl, with low-density developments and extensive road networks. This increases infrastructure costs, as more roads and utilities need to be built and maintained. It also results in longer travel distances and increased car dependency. As cities spread out, people need to travel longer distances between home, work, and essential services. This leads to increased traffic congestion and longer commuting times, wasting time and pollution. Expanding urban areas necessitate further roads and highways, which increase vehicle traffic and emissions. The constant flow of traffic also contributes to noise pollution, affecting the well-being of residents. As cities sprawl, more infrastructure, such as roads, utility networks, and public services, needs to be extended. This incurs higher costs for construction, maintenance, and operation, putting a strain on local budgets and resources. If all of this wasn't enough,
urban sprawl leads to the loss of community cohesion and a sense of place. With residents spread out over large distances, social interactions and a sense of belonging to a community diminishes, impacting overall well-being and mental health. When cities prioritize cars over pedestrian-friendly spaces, people are less likely to interact with their neighbours and communities. This can negatively impact social cohesion and a sense of belonging.

Relying heavily on cars can result in traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. This leads to wasted time and increased stress for commuters and results in economic losses due to decreased productivity and increased fuel consumption. Car ownership isn't cheap so not everyone can afford it. Car-centric cities marginalize low-income communities that struggle to access essential services and opportunities due to limited or no public transportation options.

Car-centric cities require vast amounts of land dedicated to parking spaces, which could otherwise be used for more valuable purposes like housing, parks, or community spaces. The focus on car infrastructure comes at the expense of investing in public transportation, alternative mobility solutions, and sustainable urban planning. This limits the city's ability to adapt to future challenges and opportunities.

Car-centric cities discourage physical activity and active transportation options like walking and cycling. Lack of safe pedestrian and cycling infrastructure can lead to sedentary lifestyles, obesity, and related health issues. In Europe, streets belong to people, not cars.

Don't even get me started on noise pollution. Cars contribute to noise pollution in urban areas, affecting residents' quality of life, sleep patterns, and overall well-being.

Why Cities Are Banning Cars Around The World​

Why do you think so many countries that have higher living standards than the US focus so heavily on building public transport systems? Do you think European and Asian states are stupid for going out of their way to invest billions in building multiple public transport systems?

Why Public Transportation Sucks in the US​

The Car Paradox: How Car Centric Infrastructure is Ruining America​

How highways make traffic worse​

How to make traffic better, not worse​

Why Transit Cities are Better for Everyone​

This comparison between Hong Kong and Houston should be eye-opening for Americans.

The fact that Americans love advocating for equality and climate change while choosing to ignore public transport is mind-boggling to me. @That Guy Thank God Canadians aren't like Americans regarding public transport.
story of Islamabad as well. its a car centric city that simply raises the cost of living for most people.

More stealth trolling from the OP as usual

story of Islamabad as well. its a car centric city that simply raises the cost of living for most people.
Islamabad currently has a metro bus service between Rawalpindi and Islamabad and the red, orange, green and blue lines intra-city buses. However, this is far from enough, Islamabad's public transport networks need to be greatly expanded.
As a Pakistani Living in US, watching a Chinese and American arguing over who's Subways is better from my Japanese made Lexus car, with Lipton tea and Oreo lol aap bhi enjoy karo Sir.
American MRT systems are a joke even compared to the MRT systems being used in India let alone Chinese MRT systems.
More stealth trolling from the OP as usual
CNBC's analysis is very fair. The US needs to get its sh*t together and start developing world-class public transport systems like the rest of the developed world. Leftists like you should be protesting about the lack of public transport systems in the US.
USA has much less population than you refer so cars are easily available to everyone and lot cheaper and mass public transport is only good for big cities like New York/LA and not quite good for small cities or suburb
Of course, I am not talking about small cities. I am talking about metropolises like LA, Chicago and Houston etc. Warsaw has less than half the population of LA and its population density is slightly lesser than LA's but its public transport network is vast. Warsaw has an extensive bus and tram system crisscrossing the city as well as an excellent metro system running from north to south and a second line that goes from east to west. Over 1,900 buses operate in and around the city,

The tiny city of Copenhagen has 1 million fewer people than Houston and its population density than Houston's and yet its public transport networks are vast. The S-train network is the backbone of Copenhagen's public transport system. It consists of several lines (A, B, C, E, F, and H) that connect the city center with its suburbs and neighbouring towns. The S-trains are frequent, reliable, and run from early morning until late at night, making them a popular choice for daily commuters. Copenhagen has an extensive driverless metro system with two lines: M1 (green line) and M2 (yellow line). The metro connects major areas within the city and is especially useful for quick and efficient travel between the city center and the outer districts. The city bus network covers virtually every part of Copenhagen, making it easy to reach destinations not directly served by trains or metro. Copenhagen is surrounded by water, and the harbour buses (Havnebusser) offer a unique way to get around the city. These water buses connect different areas along the waterfront, providing an enjoyable and scenic means of transportation.

Dublin is another European city that has a similar population density to Houston. DART(Dublin Area Rapid Transit) is an electrified suburban rail service that runs along the coast of Dublin, connecting the city center with coastal areas like Howth, Malahide, and Bray. Dublin's tram system, LUAS, consists of two lines: the Green Line and the Red Line. The Green Line connects Sandyford in the south with Broombridge in the north, passing through the city center. The Red Line connects The Point (near Dublin's Docklands) with Tallaght and Saggart in the southwest. LUAS offers a fast and efficient way to travel through the city and has interchanges with both DART and Dublin Bus services. Dublin Bus operates an extensive bus network that covers the entire city and its suburbs. With numerous routes and frequent services, Dublin Bus is a popular mode of transport for daily commuting and getting around the city.

I can keep on giving more examples and please don't tell me that the people of Warsaw, Copenhagen and Dublin can't afford cars.

The public transport networks of Islamabad will definitely be expanding but the problem is the pace at which they are expanding. This article gives a little hope:

New mass transit for capital on the cards

Top official says service aims to provide superior and affordable transport facilities to citizens
Zulfiqar Baig | April 26, 2023

1690365056330.png

A metro bus comes to a terminal after the resumption of the service on Wednesday. PHOTO: EXPRESS

ISLAMABAD: Under the vision of Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif, city managers have started thrashing out an inclusive and a comprehensive plan to provide modern and full-fledged mass transit service to the citizens of Islamabad and its surrounding areas.
Sources said that the latest public transport system will be introduced in Islamabad by 2024. After this, the people of Islamabad will have good quality and comfortable transport service with affordable fares.

The metro bus service between Rawalpindi and Islamabad and the red, ornage, green and blue lines intra-city buses are already providing much relief to the people facing inflation and increasing fuel costs, 200 buses will be run on the 13 routes initially under the new mass transit service, top officials said.

Officials sources said that the prime minister, soon after coming to power, inaugurated a metro bus service from Peshawar Mor to the New Islamabad International Airport and he wanted to cover more routes and destinations under the new mass transit service.

The sources said that now, the government is introducing the Silver Line on the under-construction IGP Road, the Green Line from T Chowk Rawat to the Islamabad airport, up to Murree Expressway to Margalla Road and from Margalla Road to Taxila.

According to the sources, on the directives of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, city managers have put together a plan to launch the new transit bus service. The prime minister will lay the foundation of the transport project very soon, they said.

According to the sources, the public transport project, which has been prepared with the help of experts from a top university in the capital, will have 13 routes initially and it will be expanded over time.

Under the project, Route-1 will be from Police Foundation to Faiz Ahmed Faiz Station, Route-2 from Allama Iqbal University to Pothohar Station, Route-3 be from Shifa International Hospital to I/8 Markaz, Route-4 from PIMS Hospital to Embassy Road via G-7, G-6, Melody Market, NADRA stop, Route-5 from D-12 to G-10, Route-6 from F-11 to F-8 Markaz, Route-7 from G-11, G-10, G-9 and G8 Markaz.

Similarly, Route-3-A will be from PIMS Hospital to Secretariat via Jinnah Super Market and Super Market, Route-3-B from Aabpara to Taramri Chowk, Nilore and up to Khana Bridge, Route-9 will be from Pirwidhai Chowk to Faizabad, IJP Road, Route-10-B will be from 17 to 26 Number Chungi, Route-11 will be from I/16 to 26 Number Chungi.

Sources said since the metro bus service operating between the twin cities and on some routes in Islamabad was providing affordable and quality travel facilities to the residents of city areas, there was a dire need to expand the project and provide modern transport facilities to the residents including women and students of far-off areas, who have to change two to three vehicles to reach their destination.

Red, orange, blue and green lines witness a flood of passengers and travellers daily which calls for its expansion to cover more areas and destinations, officials said.

The metro bus service is covering 22.5 kilometres from Islamabad Pak Secretariat to Rawalpindi Sadar. The orange line is covering 25.6-km area from the Peshawar Mor interchange to the Islamabad airport, The green and blue lines introduced in July 2022 cover intra-city routes. This mass transit has an e-ticketing system. The red line is run by the Punjab Mass Transit Authority while the remaining services are run by the Capital Development Authority (CDA).

Passengers enjoy the facility of the modern buses after every five minutes and of the shuttle service at after 25 minutes.

The officials said that work on new metro bus stations on the motorway was also under way for the facilitation of the citizens.

According to CDA Chairman Noorul Amin Maingal, providing comfortable and low-priced transport service to the masses was their mission. In the first phase, he said, work on important highways and roads will be completed on an emergency basis.

Talking to The Express Tribune, he said that after the completion of IJP Road, the Islamabad Expressway, Margalla Road and the Bhara Kahu Expressway, a new public and mass transit will be introduced on these routes. “The transport network will be upgraded under the one-link, one-transport programme. The citizens of Islamabad will enjoy the latest facilities of transport by 2024,” he said.

Sources said that under the proposed mass transit project, modern air-conditioned buses would be run on the routes to ferry thousands of commuters including women, students and office goers daily.

A large number of people including students travel within the city areas and its suburbs but owing to the non-availability of decent transportation, they have to face a lot of difficulties as they have to change two to three buses or vans to reach their destinations.

The proposed mass transit will also help do away with the monopoly of private transporters, the officials said.

Back
Top Bottom