What's new

Why is Pakistan so dirty?

In India it's because of attitude, education, sense of ownership. Probably same for Pakistan.

Over here, people don't care for what happens outside their homes if the inside is clean. Lack of education means that they don't really get the impact of throwing garbage outside. Even municipalities of smaller cities just sometimes throw their garbage outside the city limits at random. And because we do't feel pride or ownership of our public spaces, we don't care.

But given how we roll as a culture, I can bet that if they made garbage collection genuinely profitable for everyone, not only would garbage vanish people would be fighting to collect each other's garbage to sell.

No civic sense in public, that comes from education and taking responsibility. I grew up in Karachi and in 70s and 80s it was relatively clean and organized city. now !!!

Islamabad is a very clean city. Dare i say as clean as any western city . Amongst the big cities , Lahore is clean and tidy

1 - Unplanned urbanization
2 - Poor infrastructure for sanitation
3 - Absence of census hence the inefficient budget allocation
4 - General attitude of citizens towards hygiene and sanitation

Precisely.

I am thinking of starting a civic sense / basic decency group or drive. I have seen so many times that when people litter, drive like idiots or the wrong way (on a way one-way street), etc., and I ask them WTF they're doing --- they're reaction is either aggressive or incredulous (like what's the big deal / what am I doing wrong?!). So, I think the very first baby step is to establish a baseline of what is right and wrong.

No civic sense in public, that comes from education and taking responsibility. I grew up in Karachi and in 70s and 80s it was relatively clean and organized city. now !!!

Way too much of an influx of who were essentially feudal barbarians --- now their land is worth something, they have Land Cruisers and they want the Paris life (which, in Pakistan, means either Islamabad, Karachi or Lahore depending on which city your lands are closest to).

Secondly, the grey and black economies have created a class of people whose refinement and manners have remained those of a caveman yet their bank accounts have swelled to beat those of tax-paying industrialists (e.g. various clerks, etc., in the civil service --- especially lucrative departments like Customs, Tax and the respective city Development Authorities).

I am thinking of starting a civic sense / basic decency group or drive. I have seen so many times that when people litter, drive like idiots or the wrong way (on a way one-way street), etc., and I ask them WTF they're doing --- they're reaction is either aggressive or incredulous (like what's the big deal / what am I doing wrong?!). So, I think the very first baby step is to establish a baseline of what is right and wrong.
Agreed to the hilt. First step should be inclusion of civic sense in our curriculum and second should be fines for throwing away garbage from cars and homes.
I have seen municipals and town committees are trying a lot to prevent open garbage landfills yet in the absence of any law they are helpless.

Ok, I personally never throw garbage on the streets in Pakistan and always encourage others to keep these clean as well.
Cleanliness includes both personal and collective hygiene.

Because this is what being a Muslim really means "Cleanliness is half of faith".

LOL, I often end up cleaning public places e.g. in parks from the garbage left by others.

This is my personal contribution, AFA cleanliness is concerned. Which I'll continue doing as long as I live.

Most of the people donot know what are they talking about- our Pakistan has come a long way and its better than most of neighbors in terms of cleanliness, all countries have problems instead of highlighting it on this thread we should try and make it right.

It is urgent need, i am very fed up bad driving of our people, poor cleanliness so a nice campaign is very good idea and something is always better than nothing.

Awareness can bring changes, Gov. should help create and sponser TV Advertisements that shows how to keep your city clean.

Back
Top Bottom