What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

Well Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was born in Mecca to a Meccan mother and a Bengali father. His father's family had migrated to Bengal over 400 years ago from Herat in Afghanistan. Still he considered himself and Indian nationalist. He had first generation Meccan blood from his mother's side and was born in Mecca but still called India his home.

Jinnah on the other hand belonged to a Hindu Rajput family and only his grand father-Poonja Gokuldas Meghji- had converted to Islam as a Khoja shia and became a founder of Pakistan and a proponent of Two nation theory.

India is not defined by a particular ethinicity, language or even a single religion. It has thousands of years of migrations of various people and cultures that settled in India and called it home and were part of the evolution of the Indian culture. Similarly, Indian influence spread to Indonesia, Thailand, and even Central Asia were most of these countries have stan (including Pakistan). Sthan is afterall a Sanskrit derived word meaning Place. Similarly, scientific knowledge passed on from India to Baghdad led to the golden age under the Abassids. While in the East, Buddhism and spread of the Cholan empire at different times of history influenced the culture and evolution of societies there.

I think we're talking about Hindi-Urdu here, not India and Pakistan, or Jinnah & Kalam. Please stop diverting the topic being discussed.

Saying that urdu is more in common with persian than hindi would be incorrect... I would say that Urdu is kind of a classic indus language. However, our literature is definitely influenced from Farsi.

his is wrong. Urdu is an Indo-Aryan language which descends form Sanskrit, like all Indo-Aryan languages and Sanskrit spread out from Central Eurasia down to the Indus, hence it's not an indigenous language, no Indo-European language spoken in the region is "indigenous"

Why the fuss?? I don't now what is so intolerable in giving it a thought. Urdu anyway is not a native language of Pakistan but it was born in Uttar Pradesh in India.

The people who migrated to other countries from the sub-continent before partition still speak Hindustani which is unadulterated either by Sanskrit or Persian.

Urdu is neither "indian" as it developed under Mughal rule. True they derived it from Central Sanskrit dialects spoken there, but it is a foreign language there due to that.

Urdu is a khchdi of 60,000 Hindi words mixed with random 4000-5000 mixed words from random languages.

So as such it is >90% Hindi.

There can never be a pure khichdi. You can reduce or increase the ratio of dal or rice. It still doesn't make it "pure".

spoken urdu and hindi are the same .. yes huge difference in alphabets and writing styles

btw

why there are 26 pages of argument in this place , can any one summarize the argument in a sentence please !?

Urdu was the language of army cantonments. The first army cantonment where it evolved was of Lahore. It is said about Urdu:

* Punjab gave a birth to it.
* UP brought it up.
* Daccan enriched it.

spoken urdu and hindi are the same .. yes huge difference in alphabets and writing styles

btw

why there are 26 pages of argument in this place , can any one summarize the argument in a sentence please !?
The Hindi which is used in the Indian movies is very close to Urdu. Expect the difference of little vocabulary, it is very much like Urdu in the Indian movies. However, the Hindi used in the Hindi news is very different in terms of vocabulary. Hindi poetry is just the same like Urdu poetry. Joint mushiras (Poetry Recital Sittings) of the Pakistani and the Indian poets are very popular and likable for all.

spoken urdu and hindi are the same

Not the same. In the common spoken Hindi some Urdu (words which were actually taken from Arabic or Persian or turkish and this was done to bring the Urdu language speakers close to the Hindi language speakers and later on this was used to make Urdu look like Hindi and make people believe the Urdu is same as Hindi and people fall for it.

Listen to the real Hindi and tell me how many words you understand.

Urdu IS NOT Hindi or same

However, the Hindi used in the Hindi news is very different in terms of vocabulary. Hindi poetry is just the same like Urdu poetry. Joint mushiras (Poetry Recital Sittings) of the Pakistani and the Indian poets are very popular and likable for all.

The bold part proves what i am trying to say.

Because in mushairas they use Urdu being a very poetic language compared to Hindi, now they make sure that the previous Urdu words used in songs are replaced with Hindi words and in the process they have Fxxxed up the songs big time, mixing little Urdu with many Hindi, Punjabi, English words all together

Last edited:
Not the same. In the common spoken Hindi some Urdu (words which were actually taken from Arabic or Persian or turkish and this was done to bring the Urdu language speakers close to the Hindi language speakers and later on this was used to make Urdu look like Hindi and make people believe the Urdu is same as Hindi and people fall for it.

Urdu IS NOT Hindi or same

The bold part proves what i am trying to say.

Because in mushairas they use Urdu being a very poetic language compared to Hindi, now they make sure that the previous Urdu words used in songs are replaced with Hindi words and in the process they have Fxxxed up the songs big time, mixing little Urdu with many Hindi, Punjabi, English words all together
We feel Hindi to be a very different language when listen to its news. Hindi Urdu poetry are more or less in the same language.

I know some Indians at university but they never speak Hindi, prefer speaking English. So I don't know how they actually speak, in movies you understand everything unless there is religious figure of hinduism or something who speak something else its not urdu. Very slight different from top of my head, they pronounce z at j like jindagi or jyada, you still understand but I don't think it's correct way to pronounce them. I'm Pakistani so I prefer our own accent, Indian accent is little bit hard on the tongue and they speak very fast sometimes. My personal opinion.

That is what i am saying they are two different languages and not same

Because they use Urdu words as Urdu being very poetic language compared to Hindi.
Hindu and Sikh poets also contributed a lot to Urdu poetry. Firaq Ghorakpuri and Kanwar Singh Bedi have been great poets of Urdu language.

Hindi in Delhi is different from Hindi in Mumbai and is different from Hindi in Hyderabad and so on . There is no 'real' Hindi in the spoken sense.

We feel Hindi to be a very different language when listen to its news. Hindi Urdu poetry are more or less in the same language.

That is because, the one spoken in news channels is the one which is Sanskritised. You will not see it spoken the same way in normal way of life.

Let me give you an example. I am half Tamil half Malayali with ancestors from Kerala. The Tamil I speak, is very different from Tamil in Chennai. I can converse and they can understand what I say and vice versa. But, Tamil news is way over my head.

Because they use Urdu words as Urdu being very poetic language compared to Hindi.

Let's not get into which language is better. Just because, you have listened and prefer a language, does not mean the other is not poetic. Its a matter of opinion.

Hindi in Delhi is different from Hindi in Mumbai and is different from Hindi in Hyderabad and so on . There is no 'real' Hindi in the spoken sense.

That is because, the one spoken in news channels is the one which is Sanskritised. You will not see it spoken the same way in normal way of life.

Let me give you an example. I am half Tamil half Malayali with ancestors from Kerala. The Tamil I speak, is very different from Tamil in Chennai. I can converse and they can understand what I say and vice versa. But, Tamil news is way over my head.

Let's not get into which language is better. Just because, you have listened and prefer a language, does not mean the other is not poetic. Its a matter of opinion.
I think there is nothing bad if words are borrowed from other languages in an adequate way. All the languages of the world have been borrowing words from other languages. The British colonial rule in the subcontinent caused the induction of about 500 Urdu/Hindi words into English.

Hindi, an artificial language created by ancient Hindutvavaadi's in their hatred for Urdu which contains Farsi and Arabic words.
https://www.facebook.com/justicekatju/posts/1039565006084045

It does not sound the same without Urdu. "What has been dying is not the language, but the credit given to the language. Most people don’t know that many of the words spoken in Hindi films or news channels are Urdu. Urdu writers such as Salim Khan, Javed Akhtar, Sahir Ludhianvi and Shakeel Badayuni have contributed immensely to Hindi cinema. In fact, many Hindi film titles are in Urdu, like Mohabbatein, Kurbaan, Dil, etc. Most Hindi film singers and actors take classes in Urdu diction. Had it not been for Urdu, would we ever have timeless Bollywood dialogues like “Mogambo khush hua” or “Kitne aadmi the” or “Main tumhara khoon pee jaaoonga”? Yes, “khush”, “aadmi” and “khoon” are Urdu words. And here is the flipside to the Hindi-Urdu marriage. Urdu has so often been used in Hindi cinema — which is a good thing — that Urdu words are now mistaken as Hindi — which is a bad thing. Hindi has helped Urdu grow in popular culture, but in the process, it has stolen (for lack of a better word) many Urdu words and added to its lexicon. How many of us know that “paani”, “duniya”, “gussa” and “baad” are Urdu words? In Hindi, these words are translated as “jal”, “jag”, “krodh” and “pashchaat”. Some people, thankfully, call this mixed lexicon “Hindustani”, thus acknowledging the frequent use of Urdu in Hindi. In fact, even as the government goes overboard in promoting Sanskrit, its ministers use Urdu words like “Ram-zaade” or “Haraam-zaade” to put their messages across. it would be great to see if praise for Urdu is not limited to just its poetry, but also extends to its simple, humble words that we use in our everyday lives. Ummeed hai hamari khwahish poori ho ". - The Indian Express #BollywoodWithoutUrdu #IshqUrdu

Look, how artificial the conversations sounds in artificial Sanskrit filled Hindi:
11218955_705344102904691_8014537693222340150_n.jpg

11892051_705654512873650_8928193762030474059_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom