What's new

Why do Sylhetis find it difficult to mix with Bengalis?

@Mage It’s not about Sylhet separating from BD, or anything like that.

It is about what I have seen from them and their behavior with Pakistanis.

You guys need to chill. We can discuss this in better ways.

Maybe you have a different experience.

I wonder if many of the literate people of Bangladesh know his name. His full name is Syed Mujtaba Ali. His famous books are Chacha Kahini and Deshe Bideshe. Both the books acclaimed literary praise.

There may be other books that I am not aware of but I remember now one story where the illiterate house servant threw away the Bengali translation of Quran but kept the books of songs written in Arabic/Urdu script with full respect in the shelf. He was a disciple of Rabindranath Thakur and visited Shanti Niketon many times to meet his Guru.
He is respected in West Bengal to a great extent. We have to read his works to sail through 10+ or 12+ exams. In fact I do have his full biblography.

His contribution to Bengali literature is immense. He introduced lucid ('Ramya Rachana') form of writing. Good example Dese Bidese. He also translated numerous books into Bengali. In fact he was proficient in 15 languages. He had a keen sense of humor.

Trivia - 1. He was born in Karimgunj of Assam.
2. He revered Swami Vivekananda and edited his biography.

He is respected in West Bengal to a great extent. We have to read his works to sail through 10+ or 12+ exams. In fact I do have his full biblography.

His contribution to Bengali literature is immense. He introduced lucid ('Ramya Rachana') form of writing. Good example Dese Bidese. He also translated numerous books into Bengali. In fact he was proficient in 15 languages. He had a keen sense of humor.

Trivia - 1. He was born in Karimgunj of Assam.
2. He revered Swami Vivekananda and edited his biography.
Dada Bangali? Jantam na ekhane eto Banglai ache. :cheers:

Meeting them in the US, UK, and Canada, every single Sylheti always tries to convince me that they are different to Bangalis and closer to Pakistanis.

They are most of the ones who attend masajid, go on tableegh, and keep long beards. There are some Bangladeshis also who do that, but mostly they have a secular outlook.

I noticed that all Sylhetis prefer the company of Muslims, like Pakistanis and Arabs, and don’t feel shy about it while there is a significant group (not all) of Bangalis who prefer the company of Indian Hindus (even having no problem dating Hindu males/females) and become timid and self-conscious around other Muslims.

The Sylhetis also generally tend to support Pakistan/Kashmir and other Muslim countries and see their origin in Turkic, Persian, Pukhtoon groups.

Most Bangladeshis in the West of the recent new immigrant generation have a lot of anger and resentment towards Pakistanis, but the earlier immigrants from Bangladesh (80s/90s) and Sylhetis don’t have those negative feelings generally.

Sylhetis are the only non-Bengali mainstream group in Bangladesh. They can speak Bengali with heavy accent and so many Urdu words but they are culturally quite distinct from Bengalis.

An Assamese can also speak Bengali with an accent, so does Sylhetis. They have been living with Bengalis for a long time hence they have learned Bengali language to communicate with Bengali people. This does not make them Bengali. They are very distinct people who are more similar to Assamese culturally. Now don't believe if someone says an Assamese is a Bengali.

There are other minority ethnic groups like Chakma, Khashia etc. Sylhetis probably are the major non-Bengali race in Bangladesh.

Bengali vs Sylheti clash is a funny one in Bangladesh. Sylhetis are generally Conservative Muslims and find it hard to adapt Bengali culture. They have their own culture.

Sylhetis support Pakistan more than Bengalis because of religious affiliation and cultural similarities.

This is not even an ideology. This is like supporting two rivals. Similar like our Brazil-Argentina dichotomy. But unlike Brazil-Argentina which have a massive fan following in Bangladesh, opinion on India or Pakistan are not strong. Other than some rootless rajakar or some 5th column Hindu like @Riyad, no one in Bangladesh has any special love for either these two countries.
Yes, completely agree! "Ideology" was just, choosing wrong word from me! It's support actually!

Last edited:
Anyone with a Pakistani stamp on the passport have to go through a lot of trouble to visit another country.

Not me lol. So much for "anyone".

The image you have built for yourselves.

Better than yours swamp-boy.

Why are you tagging the rakhine Baloch? He is an undercover agent. He pretends to be on your side while actually he is on the other side.

Lmao whatever you say weeb.

At least angry beards is not our national symbol like yours.

Good, we keep the Sunnah alive by maintaining long beards. Something you guys are genetically unable to do.

Sylhetis are the only non-Bengali mainstream group in Bangladesh. They can speak Bengali with heavy accent and so many Urdu words but they are culturally quite distinct from Bengalis.

An Assamese can also speak Bengali with an accent, so does Sylhetis. They have been living with Bengalis for a long time hence they have learned Bengali language to communicate with Bengali people. This does not make them Bengali. They are very distinct people who are more similar to Assamese culturally. Now don't believe if someone says an Assamese is a Bengali.

There are other minority ethnic groups like Chakma, Khashia etc. Sylhetis probably are the major non-Bengali race in Bangladesh.

Bengali vs Sylheti clash is a funny one in Bangladesh. Sylhetis are generally Conservative Muslims and find it hard to adapt Bengali culture. They have their own culture.

Sylhetis support Pakistan more than Bengalis because of religious affiliation and cultural similarities.
This guy is full of lies.

Sylhetis are not classified as non-Bengali tribals in Bangladesh. 98% people of Bangladesh are classified as part of Bangali ethnicity and Sylheties are part of it.

Good, we keep the Sunnah alive by maintaining long beards. Something you guys are genetically unable to do.
:astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh::astagh:

I can see how good you have done. Totally. The image you have built for yourselves. Anyone with a Pakistani stamp on the passport have to go through a lot of trouble to visit another country. Kudos to you.

Why are you tagging the rakhine Baloch? He is an undercover agent. He pretends to be on your side while actually he is on the other side.
My favourite Panjabi bangali... :lol:

Popped out right after 9 months of 71.

I’m starting to like your post. Keep it up. You have dispensed some hard truth in this post.

See? You cannot let your cover to be blown. You are doing great. Soon Rakhine State in Baluchistan will be a reality.
Last time, i shut down ur arse on the same issue.

Today again you are doing the same thing without any reason.

Now, there can only be one reason for that? You feel betrayed that we left your sorry arse back in 71?:lol:

Last time, i shut down ur arse on the same issue.

Today again you are doing the same thing without any reason.

Now, there can only be one reason for that? You feel betrayed that we left your sorry arse back in 71?:lol:
I say you are doing great and here you go again :(

Anyways have a great day and succeed in your mission

Back
Top Bottom