What's new

Why didn't India take control of bangladesh?

fobcoder

New Recruit

Reaction score
This is not meant to be a troll thread, just want someone to point me to the right direction to read more about Indian motivations (or lack there of ) of not making Bangladesh part of India after Pakistani defeat? Was it part of a deal with the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis?

From what I understand (Wikipedia and google) India couldn't take control of Bangladesh, because although they were at conflict with west Pakistan, they wanted a Muslim country of their own and not be lumped back with India? Just need a more authentic source and not your "opinion" on this matter.

Thanks

We never wanted and don't want BD to be our territory.

We always have wanted a good relationship based on co-operation on various issues ,bilateral trade with BD and a BD govt, which is friendly towards us; ensuring NE insurgent groups don't get refuge on BD soil.( one of primes reasons why we entered 1971 war.we are successful in this case. NE Insurgent groups haven't got refuge on BD soil sine its birth, barring Khalida Zia's tenures maybe. )

We want nothing more.

We never wanted and don't want BD to be our territory.

We always have wanted a good relationship based on co-operation on various issues ,bilateral trade with BD and a BD govt, which is friendly towards us; ensuring NE insurgent groups don't get refuge on BD soil.( one of primes reasons why we entered 1971 war.we are successful in this case. NE Insurgent groups haven't got refuge on BD soil sine its birth, barring Khalida Zia's tenures maybe. )

We want nothing more.

I am sure there were people in India at that time that wanted Bangladesh to be a part of India again, after all it was part of India before the partition.

After all west bengal is Indian land.

I am sure there were people in India at that time that wanted Bangladesh to be a part of India again, after all it was part of India before the partition.

there were such people.

but majority people today don't want BD to be Indian territory again, neither does GOI.

Our objectives are clear and I stated them already.

Correct me if I am wrong, members.

Nobody significant in India at the time wanted BD to be part of India. Nobody significant in BD wanted to be part of India. The question never even arose.

I have no idea why you are inventing a hypothetical question reagding something that has no historical basis. Bangladeshis had their own reasons and india her own - for the war, but none of those reasons was reunification.

there were such people.

but majority people today don't want BD to be Indian territory again, neither does GOI.

Our objectives are clear and I stated them already.

Correct me if I am wrong, members.
I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 1971 war when India clearly had the upper hand in terms of military strength.
Militarily speaking, India already had a heavy presence in Bangladesh

Then BD would have needed to change its national sport from pole vaulting to something else. India doesn't allow it across state borders :bunny:

Forceful occupation of another country is something which India has never done/will do.

I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 1971 war when India clearly had the upper hand in terms of military strength.
Militarily speaking, India already had a heavy presence in Bangladesh
Here you are getting it totally wrong. When people were hell bent against military against there land at any cost, why would Indian military burn its hand in such fire. It depends on you how you understand this line & how you manipulate this line.

Back
Top Bottom