What's new

Why didn't India take control of bangladesh?

This is not meant to be a troll thread, just want someone to point me to the right direction to read more about Indian motivations (or lack there of ) of not making Bangladesh part of India after Pakistani defeat? Was it part of a deal with the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis?

From what I understand (Wikipedia and google) India couldn't take control of Bangladesh, because although they were at conflict with west Pakistan, they wanted a Muslim country of their own and not be lumped back with India? Just need a more authentic source and not your "opinion" on this matter.

Thanks

Firstly, world opinion was in India's favor. If they did "take over" Bangladesh - they would be seen as neo-colonialists and imperial invaders. Secondly, Banglas did not want to be part of India - although, given their hatred of Pakistan and love for India at that time - they would pretty much agree to anything to be internationally recognized as not being a part of Pakistan. Lastly, India would lose moral high ground and even though some Bangla members here are borderline fanatics - most Indians and Banglas get along just fine in the real world. Sure, Bangladesh has a long way to go but they at least seem to be on the right track.

If we had annexed BD then sooner or later we would have had to deal with a major insurgency there. They wanted freedom not reunification with us. The insurgency would have engulfed WB and even parts of Assam.It would have much damage to us then help. Our leaders realized that .

The Idea was to liberate erstwhile East Pakistan and not annex it.

exactly.

there were two main reasons for it.

1. Solving the refugee crisis

2. Denying refuge to NE insurgent groups on EP(what later became BD) soil, thus insuring decrease in insurgency in NE.

we achieved both of them.

I am sure there were people in India at that time that wanted Bangladesh to be a part of India again, after all it was part of India before the partition.

After all west bengal is Indian land.

It was part of the Raj, and not India.

becasue india cant face three women (haseena -khalida) at a time only one (sonia ) is enough for them :rofl:

true sir.ek hi haseena kafi hai.teen haseena nahi chahiye.

because we are not an expansive country.
we just want to guard our own territory.

from j&k to kannyakumari and gujarat to arunachal pradesh.

This is not meant to be a troll thread, just want someone to point me to the right direction to read more about Indian motivations (or lack there of ) of not making Bangladesh part of India after Pakistani defeat? Was it part of a deal with the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis?

From what I understand (Wikipedia and google) India couldn't take control of Bangladesh, because although they were at conflict with west Pakistan, they wanted a Muslim country of their own and not be lumped back with India? Just need a more authentic source and not your "opinion" on this matter.

Thanks

East Bengalis are the first people who wanted to be a separate country based on religion, India do not want any trouble taking control of those guys.

I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 1971 war when India clearly had the upper hand in terms of military strength.
Militarily speaking, India already had a heavy presence in Bangladesh

It was militarily possible,but that would have painted India as an invader,which would have haunted India for ever.

Really u might wanna reconsider that Goa, Kashmir and Siachen comes to mind.

Kashmir joined India willfully w/o any force.

Siachen is not a country , just a part of kashmir that we released from occupation of pakistan.

Goa was a colony of a imperialist who kept it against the will of people who wanted to join India.

Bengali struggle was for independence from West Pakistan... not to be reunited with India. & India just followed will of the people.

Like wise we follow will of Kashmiri people to get them their independence-

People ask why this all started by Pakistan- 71 was when it was actually started by india- at your faces so called saints-

Like wise we follow will of Kashmiri people to get them their independence-

People ask why this all started by Pakistan- 71 was when it was actually started by india- at your faces so called saints-

You all started it by pushing the tribals + PA in 48 - there is no need to act like saints.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom