What's new

Why did PAF not buy F16/BLOCK 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only reply the starter of this thread was aiming for, is that we simply have no funds for the BLOCK 60.
Did you get your answer el nino? Good boy! :)

wont it be a concern to pakistan< since it has opted for the f16/52> if india decides to opt for F16/60 as per the mrca deal?

wont it be a concern to pakistan< since it has opted for the f16/52> if india decides to opt for F16/60 as per the mrca deal?

Well, the Indians have already been offered an even better version of the F-16, namely F-16IN with supercruise capability and an AESA radar.

in that case wont it be better for pakistan to wait till the mrca deal is out and concentrate more on the jf-17, and jxx<help in trying to hasten the development> and if india goes the american way then the roads for buying a russian aircraft with modern tech would also be open to the paf. multiple platforms might be a maintaince hazard i know but it would open up another major market for pakistan other than china.

in that case wont it be better for pakistan to wait till the mrca deal is out and concentrate more on the jf-17, and jxx<help in trying to hasten the development> and if india goes the american way then the roads for buying a russian aircraft with modern tech would also be open to the paf. multiple platforms might be a maintaince hazard i know but it would open up another major market for pakistan other than china.

Pakistan is already awaiting the MRCA deal to conclude. The F-16 deal only consists of 16 brand new Block 52+ fighters and associated weaponry. Apart from that, the existing F-16 fleet of PAF is being given a MLU and JF-17s are being tested and inducted. I wish the acquisition of a top notch Russian fighter could become reality. Russian fighters are cheap yet worth every buck. Unfortunately, due to strained relations that's very unlikely. Never say never though... Especially after the engine deal and the deteriorating relations between Russia and India things seem to be changing. I wish that Pakistan and Russia can put their past behind and build a new relationship based on mutual interests.

Last edited:
block 60 is too good they will never sell it too us

right now, we PAF is shifting his focus from F16 to JF17 and FC20. they are waiting for finalization of IAF MRCA deal. after that, they will customize J10 according to their requirements. so there is no chance of more new F16s. but there is a little possibility of acquiring used F16s block60 from UAE in future (Probably after 7-10 years)

Pakistan is already awaiting the MRCA deal to conclude. The F-16 deal only consists of 16 brand new Block 52+ fighters and associated weaponry. Apart from that, the existing F-16 fleet of PAF is being given a MLU and JF-17s are being tested and inducted. I wish the acquisition of a top notch Russian fighter could become reality. Russian fighters are cheap yet worth every buck. Unfortunately, due to strained relations that's very unlikely. Never say never though... Especially after the engine deal and the deteriorating relations between Russia and India things seem to be changing. I wish that Pakistan and Russia can put their past behind and build a new relationship based on mutual interests.

correction

there are 18 f-16s;)

i watched a interview on you tube which was posted on this website no so long ago, in which i recall the ACM when being asked about future aircraft in the PAF he briefly mentioned F16 e/f? according to airforce technology website this the block 60 aircraft. Whether this means PAF will look to purchase from new or possibly upgrade the block52 to block 60 standered i dont know? Do any of you remember watching the interview in which ACM mentions F16E/F?
As far as why PAF did' nt go for block 60, my opinion is that it is waiting to see which aircraft India selects, added with the huge price tag 60million nearly Rafle money.

Block 60 F-16's radar was funded by the UAE and therefore before selling it to any other country UAE's consent shall be required.

Fully agree, Block 60 was never offered nor is there a chance of getting any in near future.

Not sure what you mean by ignorant. :confused: Our leaders nor the military think tank is keen to remain dependant on US FMS which are subject to goverments embargo at all times.
Block 60 Falcons are as expensive as the Typhoon or the Rafale, I'd rather see PAF flying those as there are less strings attached to with European consortia.

The Blok 52 purchase is a good one, reducing the order to 36 is even more brilliant as we can divert our funds into FC-20 and possibly J-11B. We've transferred a lot of block 15 and 30 technology into JF-17, whatever we gain from block 52 will be adapted in future versions of the Thunder.

I admire our COAS and military think tank for their efficiency. Considering the financial and political restrictions, imho Pakistan has the best military planning in the world. We've been able to counter almost every system and threat in the region and maintained status quo with our adversaries.

Still think they're ignorant? :coffee:

Now the order of F-16s is further reduced to 18 from the previous number of 36.

The following story appeared in DAWN

Pakistan to buy only 18 F-16s

By Our Correspondent WASHINGTON, April 22: Pakistan has decided to halve the number of F-16 fighter jets it’s buying from the United States due to financial constraints, according to some diplomatic sources.

Pakistan had earlier agreed to buy 36 of these aircraft at a total cost of $5.1 billion, which included associated weapons, spares and upgrading of an earlier fleet purchased in the 1980s.

The proposed fleet of 36 new F-16 Block 50/52 planes was to cost Pakistan $3 billion while it was required to pay additional $650 million for weapons.

The decision to reduce the order by half would also halve the cost of buying new F-16s and that of the weapons associated with them.

Pakistan, however, will still have to spend $1.3 billion on mid-life update and modification of the F-16A/B aircraft purchased earlier. Engine modifications and purchasing some new equipment for the old fleet will cost Pakistan additional $151 million.The sources said the new aircraft will be fully equipped with weapons and facilities that come with an F-16 Block 50/52 aircraft. The planes will be capable of carrying nuclear and non-nuclear weapons.

The United States will, however, have the right to conduct frequent inspections and inventory checking.

“The media stories that new aircraft will not have the facility to carry a nuclear weapon do not make sense,” said a defence expert. He pointed out that the French Mirage aircraft now with PAF did not have such facilities when purchased. Pakistanis, however, modified the aircraft to make them nuclear capable.

Pakistan’s request for new planes and for the modification for its earlier fleet was put on hold after the October 2005 earthquake.

Well question also why did Pakistan paid 3 billion dollars and over for few F-16s and why not spent it to get French Rafale don't tell me its expensive! when will we people learn that we need to think 15 years ahead of us and not stay in time..look at the world air forces around you if you want to be a good air force you need to act like one. after all the research i have done the maximum cost of rafale is including weapons etc 72 Million dollars per plane now make it 74 M$ for your people sake 74 M$ X 24 rafales plus add logistics and training cost it will cost you same as F-16s don't tell me we already have suppost for F-16s as i told you today or tomw we have to change our supply line. We are going to switch over from F-16s someday won't we?? it would cost us at the most 3.5 B$ but look at it it makes sense we have something that can panic our neighbour. Later on we can/will increase the numbers. I really think this was our great chance we missed purchasing French Rafale.

Last edited:
Block 60 isn't even comparable to SU30MK, it's even got edge on the Rafale.

The simulation results mentioned below give a good insight about the capabilities of SU-35 vs. Rafale, Eurofighter, F-22 Raptor and F-15C.

Simulations conducted by British Aerospace and the British Defense Research Agency compared the effectiveness of the F-15C, Rafale, EF-2000 (Eurofighter Typhoon), and F-22 against the Russian Su-35 armed with active radar missiles similar to the AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM). The Rafale achieved a 1:1 kill ratio (1 Su-35 destroyed for each Rafale lost). The EF-2000 kill ratio was 4.5:1 while the F-22 achieved a ratio of 10:1. In stark contrast was the F-15C, losing 1.3 Eagles for each Su-35 destroyed.

Eurofighters trained with MKI's in Britain not all that long ago, WVR only and most of the simulated fights were 1 on 1. According to people that I have talked to the results were roughly even with an edge to the Eurofighter in these dogfights, LOAL missiles and HMS more than countered for the thrust vector manoeuvring of the MKI's. It would have been interesting to see them in BVR simulated combat but neither side wanted to give away full information about the capabilities of their radars etc.

I am almost 99% sure that MKIs and Typhoons did not train together. The only exception to the case were a few photo-op sorties but not DACT.

I have not heard anything on this. If you are referring to Red Flag exercise, there is lot of controversy on this. Do you have any other training sorties on your mind?.

This happened as early as in CI-05.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom