What's new

PAF speeds up fighter force modernisation with JF-17 Block III- Gulf News

If you think only JF-17 is good enough to protect Pakistan then God bless you my friend.
Yes it is and it's more than good enough. And that's coming from PAF whi put it better than the block 52. You are stuck in gora worship where nothing Pakistan makes is good enough. Even China has this stigma...nothing Chinese is good yet you iPhone, computer, tablets, car parts etc are all made there. But when the gora put it together with his stamp on it you worship it Nd pay inflated prices for the privilege

Last edited:
Also PAF needs a true strike aircraft. Not a beefed up tactical fighter that can carry n more missiles, but a true monster,like the B-1 or Tu-160.Such an aircraft would not only deliver a carpet of SOWs but also carry advanced long range air to air missiles in bulk,along with long range AESA, to be the "flagship" of its "Counter Air Battlegroup".

Oh no, indeed that‘s you!!?

As of now the PAF seems to be going for there own in house design. I feel it would have been better to team up on the j13/J35 project similar to what we did with the JF17.

JF17/J31 share almost the same weight class powerplant and many subsystems would be inter compatible. Cost saving wise/Value for money I dont think anything can beat the J31 when it comes to the PAFs 5th generation program.

As of now the quoted cost of the J31 is 75 million. If China commits to 350 and PAF 150 due to economies of scale/cheaper labour in Pak costs can be bought down significantly to the 60 million range which is a steal for a 5th generation twin engine fighter.

Only issue is that China committed to JF17 procurement in the past (250 units) only to bail out and leave the PAF as the only major customer. PAF may be waiting to see how the PLAAF proceeds before committing itself.
I feel the same. J-31 seems to be the perfect 5th generation fighter for Pakistan.

PAF should consider a minimum of 100 J-31/J-35 if we could afford it we should go for around 150 units. Maybe we could produce the J-31/J-35 in Pakistan like the Turks do with their F-16s?

PAF is the most important branch of our military. If our air force is gone our country is basically gone. Need to make the PAF as strong as possible.

Only issue is that China committed to JF17 procurement in the past (250 units) only to bail out and leave the PAF as the only major customer. PAF may be waiting to see how the PLAAF proceeds before committing itself.
Maybe we could produce the J-31/J-35 in Pakistan like the Turks do with their F-16s?
As far as I know JF-17 (FC-1) has always been a PAF-specific and PAC-led 3rd gen project to start with, CAC's role is like design & tech support, involving vendors from Russia (Klimov on RD-93) and Europe (e.g. Martin Baker). It's unrelated with PLAAF, we all know they have bet all 3rd gen money on SAC's J-11, CAC's J-10 & WS-10 turbofan.

J-35 (FC-31) is slightly different, it's a PLAN-specific and SAC-led project from day one. But again, PLAAF is not in the picture, their portfolio of J-20, 11B, 16, 16D & 10C can already satisfy all tactical needs, they don't need another manned MMRCA, at least in the short run. PLAAF's next gen focus will be on H-20, new AWAC/tanker platforms, UAV, etc.

If PAF/PAC is interested, they may wait and see how PLAN is progressing with the carrier-based J-35 before making a decision, and may jointly (e.g. a joint venture with SAC) develop a land-based variant.

Last edited:
Pakistan should for 5th generation next. In my opinion this is what PAF should aim for:
250- JF-17
150- J-31/J-35
100 J-10C
In total 500 modern combat jets.

48 J31/AZM.
24 Su-35 (China has 24 Su-35 with modified AESA).
<100 J10C.
>300 JF17.
some Mirage and F16.

PAF only needs a small amount of J10 and J31 to maintain the equipment universality with PLAAF. That can save money.
Once a large-scale war breaks out, PAF has the ability to quickly obtain a large number of J10 and J31 from China.

Last edited:
Would Pakistan not also want to acquire loyal wingmen drones to augment combat strength? The two seater JF-17s could be modified to act as command ship, similar to J-20 twin seater, though PAF could also codevelop a J-31/J-35 two seater in the future.

Would Pakistan not also want to acquire loyal wingmen drones to augment combat strength? The two seater JF-17s could be modified to act as command ship, similar to J-20 twin seater, though PAF could also codevelop a J-31/J-35 two seater in the future.
Loyal Wingman is already under the work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom