What's new

’Why are the Kurds not happy? They have everything’-Turk

Al-Kurdi

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
How come the Kurds are still claiming something? And what exactly are they claiming? How come they are not happy yet? How come the Kurds of Turkey are still resisting and what are they resisting?

People from the Turkish right are categorical: The Kurds have obtained many rights that they couldn't enjoy before the 2000s and thus, they are equal citizens now. They are happy but being manipulated by Western powers.

Even some of my leftist friends are whispering similar things: “They have equality now. It's time to move on to the class struggle.”

Humbly, I think that both arguments are false. Kurds are not equal citizens and their identity claims ARE precisely a class struggle. Kurds are still forming an ethno-class in today's Turkey and it's always easier to mobilize based on identity than on social class. In addition, even if Kurds were in a good state, they wouldn't give up. I have bad news for both sides: it is not possible anymore to satisfy the Kurds with the present state organization. The state is seen as something oppressive, bringing more pressure than services and attacking more than protecting. It won't stop. Let me try to explain.

Like many nation-building processes, Turkish nationalism had three main steps… and it was successful. The dream of the Turkish nationalist project was to build a homogeneous nation from the very mixed and intermingled population of Anatolia.

The first issue was to cleanse the territory of autochthonous groups. This process targeted mainly non-Muslims of Anatolia because the main criterion for belonging to the Turkish nation was to belong to Islam. This can be seen as natural, insofar as the millet system of the Ottoman Empire had been built on religious affiliation from the fall of Constantinople (or the conquest of İstanbul, it depends on your perspective) until the 1839 Edict of Gülhane. During this first step, the two main, local non-Muslim groups of Anatolia and Thrace, somehow, disappeared: Greeks and Armenians. They were expelled and killed not because they were Greeks and Armenians but because they were Christians. For example, Turkish-speaking Orthodox Christians were also expelled during the compulsory exchange of populations of 1923. From the beginning, Turkishness has been equal to Muslimness as a category for belonging.

After this first step of extermination, the second step of assimilation started. Thanks to the state's ideological apparatus, Muslim populations, mainly from the Balkans and the Caucasus have been assimilated and have taken on a Turkish identity through a nationalist education and the Turkish language. I -- and many of my colleagues -- don't think that the remaining non-Muslim groups of Turkey have been subject to assimilation. They weren't seen as assimilable. They have been subjected to invisibility policies and/or forced or volunteer exile policies, but not assimilation policies. Other non-Turkish groups like Cretans, Bosnians, Pomaks, Circassians, Dagestanis and so on have been successfully assimilated and became “good Turks.”

The third step is what I call “folklorization.” After these two steps, there were still cultural differences in Anatolia. These local particularities have been “folklorized” and transformed into non-dangerous, touristic and funny specificities. Until the 2000s -- when some local ethnic and linguistic identities woke up (mainly thanks to the Kurdish identity struggle) -- for the majority, a Laz invokes funny stories; a Bosnian, Bosnian börek; a Circassian kind of chicken…

The only group that resisted the strategy behind these three steps is the Kurdish one. Very briefly (I do not have the place here to analyze it in depth):

-- Kurds were not exterminated between 1908 (the Young Turks' coup) and 1923 (the foundation of the republic) because they were Muslims. Some Kurdish tribes -- those dominating the region -- even participated in the extermination process, especially in 1915.

It wasn't possible to assimilate them despite tremendous repetitive linguistic and forced emigration/immigration policies because they were autochthonous. In other words, it was easy to force other non-Turkish communities of Turkey into Turkishness because they had been “coming” to Anatolia for only one century. Kurds were/are not coming from somewhere else; it is an indigenous community.

And finally they haven't been “folklorized” because there were/are too many of them. They are a majority in Turkish Kurdistan (and in other parts of Kurdistan). Their cultural specificities are too strong to be “folklorized”.

Turkish nation-building was a success for many non-Turkish communities and a huge failure for Kurds.

And the bad news for my right and left-wing friends: What was impossible for a century is even more impossible today because the Kurds have also entered into a nation-building process. There is no possible return. In 2015, the Kurds will not let themselves be exterminated. They won't be assimilated by forgetting their language. And they won't accept being reduced to a cute local community offering authentic culinary specialities to tourists coming from İstanbul or London. They won't disappear or become invisible.

The only way to keep the Kurds within the Turkish Republic is to make them happy and not the opposite. It will require a new social contract, a new identity contract under which they can govern their own life spaces through an authentic decentralization project. If this project is not realized sincerely, if, as my friend and teacher Baskın Oran says, the Turkish republican project of the 1920s and 1930s is not brought to “room temperature,” this conflict will remain, intensify and finally will result in a divorce -- and not an amicable one.

SAMİM AKGÖNÜL - ’Why are the Kurds not happy? They have everything’

If they have got rights, then they should settle down and live a peaceful life and contribute to the progress of Turkey. Playing in the hands of western powers will not help them and bring only destruction and poverty.

Turks live in these lands for more than 1000 years. Just because your tribe came from the Zagros moutains in Iran and settled in Turkish land (with our permission) doesn't make it your land. Most Turks and Kurds don't have anything against each other. It is a small group called PKK that is doing attacks on ambulances, security forces, hospitals and schools. Of course now you are being double penetrated in Syria and Iraq it is time to change tactics and play victim by pretending PKK/YPG speaks for all Kurds. PKK is nowhere safe anymore. Also your project in North-Syria will fail:

France to discuss Turkeys northern Syria safe zone proposal with partners - Daily Sabah

Playing in the hands of western powers will not help them and bring only destruction and poverty.
He prefers children to hold a cheap Russian gun, terrorize and darken the future instead holding a pencil to enlighten it.
Last time his brothers 'PKK' threatened people to disobey the laws and not to send their children to school but people gave no f*ck.
Schools were full with beautiful children.
Caveman mentality :meeting:

If they have got rights, then they should settle down and live a peaceful life and contribute to the progress of Turkey. Playing in the hands of western powers will not help them and bring only destruction and poverty.
Besides, they attack highschools were kurdish people study ;

Change all the " kurdish people" words in the article with" terrorists " and read again, this is true one.

Besides, they attack highschools were kurdish people study ;

Change all the " kurdish people" words in the article with" terrorists " and read again, this is true one.
Hey to me, you look like lunatic and frenzied person. If you want to them to live peacefully, get over your hate and stop calling them terrorists. That is the key for peace. Did you even read my comments?

It was previously thought that Jordanian Kurds had been successfully assimilated but I question this notion nowadays. From your posts on this site I can tell you see yourself as a Kurd miles before a Jordanian. Maybe the Turks were right about Kurds being unassimilable.

Hey to me, you look like lunatic and frenzied person. If you want to them to live peacefully, get over your hate and stop calling them terrorists. That is the key for peace. Did you even read my comments?
Terrorists are terrorists, kurdish is kurdish , the separation begins in here.

If a person killing ambulance driver, shooting police who tries to secure, shooting soldiers who try to secure a region , if a person kills lots of civilians (mostly kurdish ),if a person claims a " cleaned region" and giving taxes to person in the region , shooting and bombing schools, kidnapping medic staff , they he/she is a terrorist.

I dont call all kurdishs as terrorists, i have kurdish friends as well whom i grow up with, i also see their opinions.

That text is written on behalf of terrorists, they are feeling unrest ,not the kurdish people.

We already live happily in our country with turkish ,kurdish, arab ,bosnians and many more .

It was previously thought that Jordanian Kurds had been successfully assimilated but I question this notion nowadays. From your posts on this site I can tell you see yourself as a Kurd miles before a Jordanian. Maybe the Turks were right about Kurds being unassimilable.

my background differs from the average "Al-Kurdi". And no, big majority are fully integrated into the society and feel attachment to it. Kurds have been there since it's foundation after all. I just choice this path.

And no, Turks did manage to assimilate millions of Kurds, mainly through deportation of millions of Kurds. Even in places where Kurds would revolt during the 20th century and turks would respond in butchering children and women like they're doing right now, today many of those villages in those areas still votes for non-Kurdish parties.

my background differs from the average "Al-Kurdi". And no, big majority are fully integrated into the society and feel attachment to it. Kurds have been there since it's foundation after all. I just choice this path.

And no, Turks did manage to assimilate millions of Kurds, mainly through deportation of millions of Kurds. Even in places where Kurds would revolt during the 20th century and turks would respond in butchering children and women like they're doing right now, today many of those villages in those areas still votes for non-Kurdish parties.
Playing the victim card again... ypg driving Arabs out of their homes in Syria ypg = victim, pershmerga using the opportunity in Iraq for more land grabbing Peshmerga = victim, pkk attacking civilians/security personnel in Turkey, attacking construction of infrastructure for Kurds pkk = victim.

Poor victims...

So Kurds have it so bad in Turkey? Explain me why 120 Kurdish Tribes take stance against pkk and hdp? just one of them, namely the ''Gerdi'' tribe has 65'000 members, who knows which numbers of all those tribes combined have...

120 aşiretten PKK’ya tarihi çağrı - Milliyet.com.tr

kurds were there before Turks
so no way to assimilate . get it?

Have you ever been to Turkey? Do you regularly visit?
Looking at your posts it seems like your watching everything through certain channels who have their own agenda.
It's like Americans who think Fox news is a decent news outlet, your view of things are misinformed and clouted by biased news articles.

For anything Kurds want, there are perfectly normal legal procedures to apply & achieve their goals if possible.
Of course, not getting what you want every time does not equal ''oppression'' like some people see it.

EDIT: Just to add: Todays Zaman is a gulenist newspaper. They're the kind of people who would want to kill people like you for not being ''muslim enough'', just fyi.

Last edited:
Kurds are as native to East Anatolia as Turks.
Those regions are NOT your native places. Just because the Armenians were kicked out doesnt mean that you suddenly got it for free because you breed like rabbits.

First of all there is no "Turkish kurdistan"...

More importantly this is what we get for saving your a** when Saddam was gassing you in Iraq, and yes most pkk kurds are the very kurds we saved from Saddam when they came begging at our borders.

We felt sorry for you now you think you are smart or something.

Then there are the rebellions by kurds in world war 1 while we were fihting the imperialist invaders, Pakistan helped us in world war 1 while the kurds within our own borders helped the invaders.

A kurd will always be a kurd and bite the hand that saves him.

Want to know the real reason kurds are barking like dogs lately?

The answer is simple:
Arabs coming in from Syria into Turkey millions of them in the east of Turkey, this will make the kurds a MINORITY on the east, so this is their last chance so they bark as much as they can... but no worries... God Bless Syrians!

Actually, I think the Turks should play it smart here. Do something out of the blue like support an Independent Kurdistan but with no land from turkey.

Promise support and acceptance for an independent Kurdistan (from Iraq obviously since the country will and cannot exist in the present form).
Give some economic aid and other help.

In return:
Cease all terrorist activities of PKK and nothing about Kurdistan within Turkey.

Win-win situation for both I think, and Turkey also gets a new ally.

Back
Top Bottom