What's new

Why are Bangladeshi students turning to extremism?

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Why are Bangladeshi students turning to extremism?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37094224

More than 20 people, mostly foreigners, were killed in a brazen Islamist attack on a cafe in the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka, on 1 July. The five young gunmen were shot dead by the army.

Many in the country were shocked to learn that some of the militants came from wealthy families and were educated in elite educational institutions.

Since then, life in Bangladeshi universities has changed dramatically. The BBC's Ethirajan Anbarasan has been speaking with university students and activists in Dhaka about youth radicalisation.

Suvro Emmanuel Rozario, Dhaka University - 'We have lost connection with our families'
_90805260_image_00005.jpg

Until recently, Bangladesh had a culture of living [closely] together, there were strong family ties, and people were living with their family members, and they were communicating with them.

Suddenly, we had more connection with the world through the internet and social media - [but] we lost connection with our families.

We are being isolated either with a computer or a smartphone.

This is where the extremists take the opportunity.

The vulnerable youth are isolated, and they cannot share their despair or frustration with others.

The extremists exploit frustration of these youths and isolate them from their families.

If you look at those extremists who were involved in recent attacks, they were living isolated from their families.

There is no space to share their emotions.

Muntaka Khan, student activist - 'We need more activities and more inclusion'
_90805252_image_00001.jpg

The latest violent incidents have definitely created a bit of misunderstanding among people on what the youth should do or what they actually think.

At the same time, they have also created a bit of awareness, in the sense that now people are more concerned about what activities the youth are getting involved in and how they are using their free time, because that is very important.

Some of these students involved in extremist activities [came from] reputed universities.

They were definitely studying, but, besides that, probably what happened was [that] they did not have other things to [keep themselves occupied] with, which forced them to do something which was unconventional, which was not normal, which made them go into extremist ways or to get radicalised.

That's the discussion that we are actually going through right now, how can we make the youths more active, or create more inclusion among ourselves so that these sorts of distractions do [not tempt them]?

Mashahed Hassan Simanta, Jahangir Nagar University - 'The lonely are being targeted'
_90805254_image_00002.jpg

The extremists try to find those who are lonely and frustrated.

Those people are easy to manipulate.

In order to fulfil their own purpose, [the extremists] need to inject [their] ideologies into those people.

We need to be more concerned about what our [fellow] students and friends are actually doing.

Ritun Mubtasin Kabir, Jahangir Nagar University - 'I knew they were trying to brainwash me'
_90805256_image_00003.jpg

Most of the frustrated youth do not have an icon or a role model who they can follow and who can mentor them.

Having a role model is important because then [one] can have a goal in life.

We can try to emulate that person.

Our life should always have a purpose, what [we] really want to be.

When I was in school, there was a student organisation linked to an Islamist party.

They came to me and only said that they prayed five times a day.

I knew that they were trying to brainwash me.

Unfortunately, lots of my friends did not have that kind of awareness.

Those people can be easily manipulated.

Most youths are aware of those who are trying to propagate extreme views, but only three or four students can get misled and this minority can do horrible things like the Gulshan attack.

Farah Zein Nikita, Dhaka University - 'What we are seeing is the opposite of Islam'
_90805258_image_00004.jpg

I think what is happening in Bangladesh is misrepresentation and miscommunication about Islam and about religion.

We know that Islam is a religion of peace.

But what we are seeing is the opposite of Islam.

We are a secular country, and we all live together.

Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists live together.

We celebrate all festivals together.

Some of our youths get frustrated about religion and get frustrated about everything.

This is a dark hour in our country, but it will pass very soon.

Rehan Khondekar, Dhaka University - 'Young people need to connect with each other offline'
_90805322_image_00006.jpg

After the Gulshan attack, I think that the youth community should be more connected.

They should go and discuss their issues and inner feelings with their families and friends offline.

We think that we have a separate world on social media like Facebook.

But, actually, we are alone there.

When we meet face to face, we get to know each other and we understand each other's values.

The main problem here is the youth are not getting the right information from the right people.

In our country, what we can do is to use our imams in mosques.

They can spread good values to our youth more frequently during prayers.

We [also] have to make sure that this right information is online.

Sexual frustration? Could be.

This could be one reason. Bangladesh is a conservative society. Here open sex talk with friends is seen as 'Oshobbhota' / 'lewdness'. So these sexually frustrated students get inspired by the militants who claim that by doing 'jihad' on this earth will ensure eternal sex with houri angels in afterlife. They become easy prey to terrorists.

News
World
Neighbours
Dhaka attack: One of the terrorists was educated boy from rich family, who once met Shraddha Kapoor

Nibras Islam was allegedly brainwashed and radicalized by terrorists to carry out the heinous attack in the name of Islam.
defaultauthor-img.gif

IndiaToday.in | Posted by Bijaya Kumar Das
New Delhi, July 3, 2016 | UPDATED 16:56 IST
A +A -
nibras-story3-_647_070316032323.jpg

Briefcase
    Nibras Islam had studied in Monash University in Malaysia.
    He was a ex-student of the International Turkish Hopes school, Dhaka.
    Nibras had been missing since January.
Even as Bangladesh tries to come to grips with the deadly terror attack in Dhaka, it has been revealed that one of the slain terrorists, Nibras Islam, was an educated young boy who came from an affluent family.

Nibras was allegedly brainwashed and radicalised by terrorists to carry out the heinous attack in the name of Islam.

Videos and photos from his profile show a well-spoken, pleasant young boy.

shraddha-image_070316035736.jpg

In one of videos posted on his Facebook profile, Nibras is seen shaking hands with Bollywood star Shraddha Kapoor. "Shraddha Kapoor you beauty," he captioned it.

nibras-647x404_070316023128.jpg
Nibras Islam (centre) seen with his friends in a restaurant. (Facebook photo)

FROM REGULAR KID TO BLOOD-THIRSTY TERRORIST?

Another video shows a regular boy travelling with his friends in car, speaking fluent English, joking around.

According to his Facebook profile, the boy had studied in Monash University in Malaysia as well as Northsouth University in Dhaka.

Nibras's Twitter account seems to have been inactive for a while with the last tweet around December 2014 saying: "Alhamdulillah. Happiness is being with your loved ones. And being with friends you missed."

In another 2014 tweet, aimed at an unknown individual, he says, "Appreciate everything in life. Thank you for being there for me all the time. Happy for you. Always been. Hope you get what you rightly deserve."

FROM GOOD SCHOOLS

According to reports, the terrorists were all aged between 20 or 21 and were students of Dhaka's North South University.

Some of the other youths involved in the attack also seem to have belonged to affluent families and had passed out of top-notch schools in the city like Scholastica and Turkish International School.

Nibras, it seems, had been missing since January, which was the last time his parents has managed to contact him.

Nibras himself is said to have been a former student of the International Turkish Hopes school in Dhaka.

The boy was identified by his former classmates in North South University.

Meanwhile, an expatriate Bangladeshi posted on Facebook a photo of one Mir Sabih Mubashsher along with the photo of an attacker.

nibras-2-647x404_070316023128.jpg
Nibras Islam (left) was identified by his former classmates in North South University. (Facebook photo)

He quoted one of Mubashsher's classmates in Scholastica School in Dhaka as saying that Mubashsher went missing in March before his A-Level exam.

'It has become a fashion to turn terrorists'

"They are all highly educated young men and went to university. No one is from a madrassa," the Bangladeshi media quoted Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan as saying.

Asked why they would have become militants, The Daily Star quoted Khan as saying: "It has become a fashion."

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...ly-who-once-met-shraddha-kapoor/1/706648.html

That only happens to Indians, everyone knows the reason!

I understand that you are proud to be a protist?

Your above post certainly favours the probability of hailing from this wonderful group of asexual reproducers.

Bangladesh is a proud nation of people that are still Pakistanis by heart. Although the name of the nation changed they are very close to Pakistani people abroad. We love our Bangladeshi brothers and sisters regardless of history. It is common for two brothers to fight, but we will not accept third party like India to try and divide us. Bangladeshis are some if the best Muslims I have met out here in the west. Much love to Bangladesh. Even if we are not the same nation physically, we are the same people spiritually and under the eyes of Allah swt. If Bangladesh beat Pakistan in cricket it gives me something to celebrate. Not rawami Bangladesh, but our Bangladeshi brothers.

Rawami Bangladesh is the majority :P 70% of Bangladeshis look favourably upon India and by default are awami league supporters to different degrees (from neutral to strong support)

Then 30% Bangladeshis are our brothers. They are part of the same family. I can't blame their government, when Pakistan's government is also bad. However the people, we share something that you Indians can never share with us.

Then 30% Bangladeshis are our brothers. They are part of the same family. I can't blame their government, when Pakistan's government is also bad. However the people, we share something that you Indians can never share with us.

We will take the majority support then :p: while you cling on to the minority.

We play the cold hard numbers, not the over-emotional bonds :partay:

We don't care what you share with them that you can't share with us....we don't want to share that part anyway.:rolleyes: and most of them really dont want to either given their experience of 1971.

Suvro is correct...not just because he is a friend of mine...but the lost family connection is also true for radicalized youths living in London.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom