What's new

What would be JF-17 Sortie Count

Oh Come on.... thats not possible... How many JF17s does Pakistan have 60 .... that means every JF 17 Would have performed 500 Sorties ...there is a limit to fanboyisim.

200 Flight hours are normal in air-forces that train well. Take that up to 4 years, that would mean a our flight and some longer. Averages out to 500 estimated. Not bad!!

8 more JF-17 Thunders are ready to be handed over to Pakistan Air Force and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is coming to PAC this week to complete the handing over the ceremony.

Block II's right? How many block II's will exist total by adding the 8 from your post?

200 Flight hours are normal in air-forces that train well. Take that up to 4 years, that would mean a our flight and some longer. Averages out to 500 estimated. Not bad!!

Block II's right? How many block II's will exist total by adding the 8 from your post?

Around 16 are handed over to the PAF this year, can't give you an estimate of total number of block IIs currently inducted.

Till last news 14 confirmed 8 anticipated before year end and 18 to 24 expected if another assembly line opened which is expected due to consolidated foreign orders and reflect in 16 confirmed deliveries in 2015 by PAC.

In addition all Blk 1 has been upgraded to Blk 2 standards but have no information regarding RF Probe installed or not rest is other goodies like sensors and structural update.
So by going above info all JFTs in PAF inventory are of Blk 2 but 48 are updated ones rest are Blk 2 build from scratch.

Last edited:
I cant say anything about Kamra AB, but for Peshawar i can say that JF-17s are flying non stop. On sunday you hear quietness in the skies of Peshawar, but for rest of the week, JF-17s keep rolling out non stop. I noticed once in a while when all day long JF-17s keep going up non stop. I used to read about the russian engine and problems and when i see the rate of flying of JF-17s, it seems these engines are doing very good and that is why PAF is happy with it.
The JF-17 being a relatively new platform and without the benefit of a twin seater, the pilots going up are both training and honing their fighting skills at the same time thus it wouldn't be illogical to say that in the process each aircraft goes up at least once every day.

8 more JF-17 Thunders are ready to be handed over to Pakistan Air Force and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is coming to PAC this week to complete the handing over the ceremony.
Are you sure and what was these 16 for ?

The JF-17 being a relatively new platform and without the benefit of a twin seater, the pilots going up are both training and honing their fighting skills at the same time thus it wouldn't be illogical to say that in the process each aircraft goes up at least once every day.

Not once. That puts lot of wear and tear on the aircraft. There are days when there is lot of activity and then there are days when hardly few sorties take place. e.g. today i have noticed hardly 2-4 sorties taking off till now. In the evening may be 2 more takes place, same routine tomorrow, but then on 3rd day all day long they keep flying in such a way that one forgets the count. Then its back to normal and then again too much flying. Many times it so happens nothing is heard all morning, but everything starts up in the afternoon and its roar after roar & vice versa. I remember once i saw 8 of them taking off in 5 minute duration and that happens a lot on the busy days.

But what i am trying to say, when compared to the times of A-5 stationed at Peshawar, there is lot of flying then those days of A-5s.

I remember once i saw 8 of them taking off in 5 minute duration and that happens a lot on the busy days.

Sir Jee it's such less time to taking on the runway after flying one aircraft isn't it ?? like if we calculate then it will be like 5X60 = 300/8 = 37.5 Seconds gap between each dispatch but of course it won't be like that I mean if 2 aircrafts may be dispatched together from a runway then how long it may take for another pair to be launched hardly a minute max thats a good rate.

Sir Jee it's such less time to taking on the runway after flying one aircraft isn't it ?? like if we calculate then it will be like 5X60 = 300/8 = 37.5 Seconds gap between each dispatch but of course it won't be like that I mean if 2 aircrafts may be dispatched together from a runway then how long it may take for another pair to be launched hardly a minute max thats a good rate.

I used to be surprised too when i used to hear the issues with FOD especially Russian engines and when if i am correct heard the USAF pilot telling about the same prob with IAF Sukhoi's during exercises with them where the jets would take considerable time to take off between each other.
Whenever a JF-17 takes off in Peshawar, within 30 seconds you will see the other one following it, sometimes its even less then that.

I used to be surprised too when i used to hear the issues with FOD especially Russian engines and when if i am correct heard the USAF pilot telling about the same prob with IAF Sukhoi's during exercises with them where the jets would take considerable time to take off between each other.
Whenever a JF-17 takes off in Peshawar, within 30 seconds you will see the other one following it, sometimes its even less then that.

True that I still remember USAF pilots mentioning the issue while pointing out the huge Flanker fuel carrying capacity and its dispatching time which was around 5 to 8 minutes and later improved to 3 minutes or a few seconds less. Whereas if we check JFT Flying back from Farnborough Airshow you can clearly check how they are dispatching 00:37 sec first kicks in and 00:54 seconds 2nd kicks in then first dispatch precise 1:00 minute and other dispatch is less then 13 seconds.

Baqi sir jee yeh engine ki smoke ka tu kuch kerwayen sir jee.

Baqi sir jee yeh engine ki smoke ka tu kuch kerwayen sir jee

I think the overhaul facility in Pakistan in near future will play the part to overcome the issue of smoke so also there will be newer version of RD-93 engine with better performance and no smoke. My observation.

Pakistan Zindabad

Though smoke is not a problem at all and i think its just the combustion chamber.

I think the overhaul facility in Pakistan in near future will play the part to overcome the issue of smoke so also there will be newer version of RD-93 engine with better performance and no smoke. My observation.

Pakistan Zindabad

Well brah I believe its something inherent in RD-93 as its the same design as RD-33. Russians have a different philosophy from west of building technology which is easy to maintain, simple and rugged so when we look into cosmetics they won't care much as this smokey issue seems like some unburnt fuel while Af-B kicks but still they have improved it a lot and hope its going to be improved even more in new RD-93 MA with thrust uplift to 100-kn+, improved fuel efficiency in Af-B mode because they become gas guzzler with afterburner on, more life in engine, more care free handling with FADEC etc.

@Windjammer

Yesterday all day there was quietness, dont remmeber seeing a single one flying, but at night around 9:30PM 04 JF-17s took into the air within 2 minutes.

@TaimiKhan

I hear there's a lot of activity over Minhas today, guys are tweeting that it's not the usual flying rather seems like a rehersal for an air show or something, last i heard was that PAF is not participating in the Bahrain air show......any idea what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom