What's new

What would be JF-17 Sortie Count

In my opinion safety record is as important as sortie count. So far with only one JF-17 crashed it is an impressive record. We should have very high standards of repair/maintenance at overhauling facilities. JF-17's produced initially must be due for overhaulingnow.

Someone slipped up, when i inquired from a well connected source about JF-17 participating in the Bahrain air show, the diplomatic reply was, ''if it's in the itinerary of the show than it must be true, however it can't be confirmed since it could be aircraft from any of the SIX squadrons. !!

Someone slipped up, when i inquired from a well connected source about JF-17 participating in the Bahrain air show, the diplomatic reply was, ''if it's in the itinerary of the show than it must be true, however it can't be confirmed since it could be aircraft from any of the SIX squadrons. !!
6 squadrons :o::o:
we only know about 4 :undecided:

What is a generalise Sortie time in CAP missions and what is the Loitering time for JFT with internal fuel and with different configurations of external fuel tanks. Please don't bring in the refuelers in between as I am interested to know about the Loitering time with fueled once flight.

What is a generalise Sortie time in CAP missions and what is the Loitering time for JFT with internal fuel and with different configurations of external fuel tanks. Please don't bring in the refuelers in between as I am interested to know about the Loitering time with fueled once flight.

That would be kept confidential ... You would know the reason from the Israel-Arab wars ... The Arab Mig-21's had a loitering time of about 30-40 minutes ... and the Israelis conducted their attacks right in that 30-40 minute mark ... By the way I remember an interview by Sir Sattar Alvi of ours who did take part in the war and he said that he was literally on vapours by the time he had gotten a kill over the Israeli fighter jet ( a mirage)... Here, you might enjoy this interview of his ..

By the way, I know alot of time has been spent on this discussion as of late ... just to point out ... this is something that PAF already knew, it's not some sort of an "oops moment" where you get your confidence in to a product and it does not deliver ... This issue was known from the start and is alleviated to a degree through A2A refueling ... light weight category fighters in the weight class usually have this drawback, but there are pros like easy maintenance and less turn around times as well ... something the heavies struggle with ...

Last edited:
Yes, when i rephrased the figure, the gentleman would only say that everything can't be revealed until official notification.
One does wonder what's happening to all the aircraft coming off the production line.
well we will certainly get more insights during BIAS.
Alan Warnes did say in one of his tweet that there were lot of good news regarding Thunder and will be in AFM magazine but there was nothing about thunder.

Oh Come on.... thats not possible... How many JF17s does Pakistan have 60 .... that means every JF 17 Would have performed 500 Sorties ...there is a limit to fanboyisim.

Please refer to all previous engagements of JF-17 in recent history then U would find that it has been actively participating in all sort of exercises in land and abroad plus not only it had been performing ADA duties but also cushioning F-16s in anti terror strikes quite well. Also serviceability of Thunders had been quite high as was expected from it mainly due to its reliability, modular design and good self trouble shooting onboard it which helped quickly recover the aircraft when there was any anomaly reported by the pilot. Not Thunders but i happen to know about a squadron of PAF whose UTE was 30 and U can well imagine same guys have juiced Thunders to extreme to get best out of it.

3A5Pk.jpg

Back in November 2011, Air Commodore Khalid Mahmood disclosed to the media that the JF-17 has already completed 10,000 sorties in the Pakistani service. That was over four years ago while there were only two JF-17 Squadrons operational with PAF. Since then another two squadrons have converted to the type, also in the last few years the JF-17s have been much more active, flying out and participating in several International air shows, carrying out strike missions against the terrorists and also taking part in ISAC and Fire-power displays.
So it wouldn't be illogical to conclude that in the last four years, the JF-17 must have tallied more than 30.000 sorties to it's credit. It's also worth pointing out that the only JF-17 loss occurred in November 2011, after it had completed the 10.000 sorties. Touchwood, last four years have been busy but incident free. Speaks volumes for JF-17's credibility.

Pakistan Air Force's JF-17 Thunder Completes 10,000 Sorties | Pakistan Military Review

I cant say anything about Kamra AB, but for Peshawar i can say that JF-17s are flying non stop. On sunday you hear quietness in the skies of Peshawar, but for rest of the week, JF-17s keep rolling out non stop. I noticed once in a while when all day long JF-17s keep going up non stop. I used to read about the russian engine and problems and when i see the rate of flying of JF-17s, it seems these engines are doing very good and that is why PAF is happy with it.

I cant say anything about Kamra AB, but for Peshawar i can say that JF-17s are flying non stop. On sunday you hear quietness in the skies of Peshawar, but for rest of the week, JF-17s keep rolling out non stop. I noticed once in a while when all day long JF-17s keep going up non stop. I used to read about the russian engine and problems and when i see the rate of flying of JF-17s, it seems these engines are doing very good and that is why PAF is happy with it.
There is no problem in RD-93 but a smoke which reduces significantly and i don't know how PAF manage to reduce the black smoke but really it reduces 80% what you think how they manage to do that.

There is no problem in RD-93 but a smoke which reduces significantly and i don't know how PAF manage to reduce the black smoke but really it reduces 80% what you think how they manage to do that.

They used High octane :lol:

I do not see Fueling Probes in new Squadrons? They should installed as they look pretty on JF17. Is PAF going to raise 4th Sqd or still 3rd is filling up?

Guys, keep the discussion as per topic. For other general discussion go to the main JF-17 thread.

So over 10.000 until 2011, add to that over 30.000....overall you are talking almost 50.000 sorties under it's belt.
Elsewhere we had some Indian member claiming the 3000 sorties for Tejas and challenging the JF-17. :lol:

The LCA, barring SP-1, was flown by test pilots whereas JFT is in the hands of PAF/PLAF pilots in good numbers.

Testing sorties will be quite less than the jets which is flown by air force guys. What is the point?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom