What's new

What plans did army chief share with businessmen?

KARACHI: Amid a gloomy economic atmosphere and lingering wheat, cotton and dollar crisis, Army Chief General Asim Munir has signalled towards the country’s bright future in view of the upcoming huge foreign investments in various sector

In a four-hour meeting with some 50 businessmen on Saturday, the army chief said during his recent visit to Saudi Arabia he had informed Mohammad Bin Salman that he had not arrived here for a $1-2 billion investment into Pakistan.

Later, the Saudi prince assured the army chief of investing $25bn in Pakistan under the Special Investment Facilitation Council (SIFC) aimed at attracting investment in the agriculture sector by offering land and ensuring exports.

Sources said the army chief has asked the Saudi prince to set aside $10bn to overcome the country’s foreign exchange issues which would be returned in rupees.

While referring to the meeting in the UAE, the army chief had also requested the UAE ruler to provide $10bn for improving foreign exchange reserves on which the UAE ruler had reportedly agreed. Another $25bn investment is also committed by the UAE ruler in case the army is with us.

Gen Asim Munir also assured businessmen of bringing $25-30bn investment from Qatar and Kuwait in his next visit to improve the country’s economy. He said that he would try to bring a total of $75-100bn investment from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar and Kuwait.

A businessman, who attended the meeting, said that the army chief had also disclosed levelling of lands was being done in various areas of Punjab, Sindh and other provinces to encourage foreign investment in various crops.

Sources said Gen Asim had also hinted at not going towards the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for any new programme as the fund does not give any permission to work freely and an increase in power rates was also a part of the programme.

The meeting also discussed gas, power, export and corruption along with the role of bureaucracy. On smuggling of Iranian petrol, he asked the corp commander that the Iranian petrol should not reach Karachi. The issues relating to corruption in Sindh, the culture of tax evasion, privatisation of sick SOEs, the return of illegal Afghani people to their homeland and non-filing of tax returns also came up in the discussion.

A businessman termed the meeting highly encouraging which would yield positive results at a time when the country is facing deep sugar and wheat crises and soaring dollar value against the rupee.

He said a follow-up meeting had been arranged with Corps Commander V in Karachi in light of Saturday’s meeting.

“Gen Asim Munir looks firm and optimistic to bring huge foreign investment from our Muslim countries and it will certainly make a difference in economic indicators,” he said.

The meeting was attended by Businessmen Group Chairman Zubair Motiwala, Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry President Tariq Yousuf, FPCCI President Irfan Iqbal Sheikh and some prominent businessmen of Karachi.

Neutrals... :lol:

On a serious note, this chap seriously believes that Arabs are going to give him 75 - 100 billion dollars just like that? :rofl:

This cracked me up, check the tone while begging. :lol:

I guess he thinks the Saudis are suckers.

What the hell does he have to offer the Saudis???.... What the hell do they get in return for the $75Billion!??????..... A pile of sh** from a failed banana republic of Faujistan???

What the hell does he have to offer the Saudis???.... What the hell do they get in return for the $75Billion!??????..... A pile of sh** from a failed banana republic of Faujistan???

Saudis themselves are doing pretty good in agriculture and farming industry. Why would they invest billions for the same in Pakistan. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Saudis themselves are doing pretty good in agriculture and farming industry. Why would they invest billions for the same in Pakistan. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Most of the prime agricultural land in a already in the hands of Pakistani people (landlords and such)...

Will the Pakistani army invade and confiscate these prime agricultural lands and hand them over to the Saudis?.... Not sure if they will survive that backlash??

This cracked me up, check the tone while begging. :lol:
Also, were these the exact words? army chief has asked the Saudi prince to set aside $10bn to overcome the country’s foreign exchange issues which would be returned in rupees.

If I were the Saudi prince, and if the army chief spoke like that in front of me, I would have pulled out my Bone Saw and plugged it in right in front of the General.

متروں، پیسے آنے والے ہیں۔ وہ تاجر جو محنت سے پیسہ کماتے تھے انکی ایسی تیسی تو ہم پہلے ہی کر چکے ہیں۔

Pakistanis are excellent con artists. They are great at selling pipe dreams & scams. They package these scams sometimes using acronyms. SIFC is one of these scams like CPEC, and Gwadar.

I'll leave this here for you guys

Remember that whiskey is an American ally. Without whiskey you guys would still be looking at Imran Khan.

If this guy delivers on the promised amounts, I think Pakistanis should ditch their infatuation with elections and have this system run for a while till it bears fruits.
Mr Bajwa promised same, look where we are today. All that is required in Pakistan is for institutions (judiciary, law enforcement, military etc ) to do what they are originally supposed to do with honesty and everything will get better.

One must be very wary the moment a Pakistani general starts talking about amounts in excess of 1 billion dollars in investment... The Arabs won't even visit Pakistan LOL Let alone invest a mere billion dollars in Pakistan.

If this guy delivers on the promised amounts, I think Pakistanis should ditch their infatuation with elections and have this system run for a while till it bears fruits.
Pakistanis said the same about British

They are naturally borne ghulams

MBS and other Middle East monarchs will be dumb to buy the pipe dream of SIFC.

Unless Asim gives a guaranteed principal protection in US$ terms at the expense of Pakistan.

Even if half the investment materialises, Pak's economic crisis could be behind it

Regards

COAS thinks he is a CEO....of the country.

He is COAS of just the military, country politics, economy is not his domain.

All fools thinks they know a lot, they are indispensable, and all wise people think otherwise.

The regime change by the duffers have already cost the country 20 billion USD and increasing with every passing day, by the minute.

Didn't any business man asked about it .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom