What's new

What is the logic behind call to prayer being in arabic in Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurkeyForever

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I wish we could change the call to prayer from the mosks here in Turkey to turkish, same with prayers from Quran in mosks.

Everything is in arabic and 99% don't understand what is being said, it's like music in a foreign language (arabic).

Excuse me if I'm over stepping, but I think it's very stupid for 100% of Turkey to listen to arabic call to prayers and and arabic prayers in mosks when 99% don't understand a single word!
Correct me if I'm wrong.

First I have a question. What is a mosk? Do you mean Mosque?
The reason Arabic is used is because the words spoken there are holy and absolutely cannot be changed in the slightest way. And when translating something to another language there is always some loss of meaning.

I wish we could change the call to prayer from the mosks here in Turkey to turkish, same with prayers from Quran in mosks.

Everything is in arabic and 99% don't understand what is being said, it's like music in a foreign language (arabic).

Excuse me if I'm over stepping, but I think it's very stupid for 100% of Turkey to listen to arabic call to prayers and and arabic prayers in mosks when 99% don't understand a single word!
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Excellent thoughts there. I hope Turkiye can show the way in this regard to other non-Arab Islamic nations like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia etc.

Last edited:
First I have a question. What is a mosk? Do you mean Mosque?
The reason Arabic is used is because the words spoken there are holy and absolutely cannot be changed in the slightest way. And when translating something to another language there is always some loss of meaning.

Yes it's a rare form of mosque, it seems:
http://www.yourdictionary.com/mosk

I have heard that argument in the past, that 1 sentence in the Quran can mean 100 different things and will mean different things to the individual who reads it.

And I get the logic that it might not be 100% same when translated into another language.

But it is WORSE to not understand a single word of it, there is no logic at all in it.

I hear the call to prayer daily, and I see turkish people hearing it too. What we all have in common is we don't understand it!

It's like the whole country is in some kind of trans/hypnosis, it is very strange to say the least.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So every nation will have their own version of Azan and Quran, we have in urdu you have in turkish and russian countries have russian, whom we will call Muslim. And with the passage of time there would be changes in local Azan, namaz, Quran and in the end after 2,3 4 hundred year a completely new religion will be born. That is why if you are Muslim you have to follow Arabic, weather you understand or not, you will be rewarded.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

What makes you think 99% of Muslim Turks don't understand the Adhan? I get that you obviously don't.

Hell - with the help of AQ and ISIS - 99% of non muslims know - Allahu Akbar means God is great :lol:

Out of the 15 'lines' - Allahu Akbar is said 6 times :lol:
Then a couple of lines about the one-ness of Allah and that the Prophet Mohammad is His messenger.

The average Muslim might not be able to translate the Adhan line by line...but, the vast majority will easily know 60-70% of it.

MashAllah

All Mosks should be in Russian.

For a country which used Arabic script for most of its history it is high time that they should do that. Free yourself from the Arabic slavery that was the Ataturk dream.

Why Russian? LOL

It has to be a language people understand.

But from a logical perspective if the call to prayer was changed to russian or chinese it would be no different in Turkey than what it is now. People already don't understand it.

Yes it's a rare form of mosque, it seems:
http://www.yourdictionary.com/mosk

I have heard that argument in the past, that 1 sentence in the Quran can mean 100 different things and will mean different things to the individual who reads it.

And I get the logic that it might not be 100% same when translated into another language.

But it is WORSE to not understand a single word of it, there is no logic at all in it.

I hear the call to prayer daily, and I see turkish people hearing it too. What we all have in common is we don't understand it!

It's like the whole country is in some kind of trans/hypnosis, it is very strange to say the least.
I think your question is logical and I will quote a material from another forum

"The vast majority of Islamic Scholarship says that it is not permissible :

ذهب جمهور الفقهاء إلى أنه لا يصح الأذان بغير العربية . جاء في "الموسوعة الفقهية الكويتية" (11/ 170) : "ترجمة الأذان : لو أذن بالفارسية أو بلغة أخرى غير العربية , فالصحيح عند الحنفية والحنابلة : أنه لا يصح , ولو علم أنه أذان . وهو المتبادر من كلام المالكية ; لأنهم يشترطون في الأذان : أن يكون بالألفاظ المشروعة . وأما الشافعية فقد فصلوا الكلام فيه , وقالوا : إن كان يؤذن لجماعة , وفيهم من يحسن العربية , لم يجزئ الأذان بغيرها , ويجزئ إن لم يوجد من يحسنها . وإن كان يؤذن لنفسه , فإن كان يحسن العربية لا يجزئه الأذان بغيرها , وإن كان لا يحسنها أجزأه " انتهى .

Basically, the discussion is that it is not permissible - with Ijma' (consensus of the Scholars) - if there is someone who able to properly give the Adhan and Iqamah in Arabic. The disagreement comes where - is it possible to call to prayer without it being 'adhan' (an adhan substitute, like the adhan in a different language) per say? So, a very tiny minority of the Scholars, said that if no one knows Arabic then it is permissible to call to prayer in a different language (although this is not the adhan itself as legislated), while the majority - vast majority - said even that is not permissible.

Of course when we want to teach the adhan to children, or converts - then it is permissible to translate it so they understand and call it in that manner. But as a practice of Salah itself, then it would seem to be impermissible. The language in this case is tawqeefi."

والله أعلم

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know the statistics about Turkish population but instead of translating the call for prayer into local language. It is much better to learn its meanings in your own language and I think it is not that much to learn.

Last edited:
Why Russian? LOL

It has to be a language people understand.

But from a logical perspective if the call to prayer was changed to russian or chinese it would be no different in Turkey than what it is now. People already don't understand it.

sure man.
It is just noise pollution if you ask a secular Indian on the forum. they will definitely agree with you.
By the way can you tell me what is the fundamentals of the Turkish state?
What is Turkey in light of its constitution and who are Turkish according to your constitution?

So every nation will have their own version of Azan and Quran, we have in urdu you have in turkish and russian countries have russian, whom we will call Muslim. And with the passage of time there would be changes in local Azan, namaz, Quran and in the end after 2,3 4 hundred year a completely new religion will be born. That is why if you are Muslim you have to follow Arabic, weather you understand or not, you will be rewarded.

The Quran says "read read read" it doesn't say listen to something you don't understand 5 times a day just to "feel good". There is something seriously wrong going on as it is right now.

We could always keep the original arabic versions, and if someone wants to read it they can do so. But forcing people to listen to something they don't even understand is just crazy. And yes I'm a muslim.

its discussed centuries ago, majority of Islamic scholars rejected this and they have reasons for it, why dont you ask your local Imam?

The Quran says "read read read" it doesn't say listen to something you don't understand 5 times a day just to "feel good". There is something seriously wrong going on as it is right now.

If people can't bother to learn something they hear 5 times a day, every day in their life (Assuming they live in a muslim country) - language is the least of their problems!

The Onus is YOU as a Muslim to make the effort to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom