What's new

[VIDEO] Afghanistan - The Lion's Last Roar Episode 1 | BBC Documentary 2014

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Enjoy
-- you can see the Pakistan hater Amruallah Saleh Squeal :-)

Last edited:
anything except youtube? or you could give us a link (for online proxy)...

Brilliant documentary ,clearly outlining the challenges and limitation of big powers ! Nothing is infinite, esp. resources and its important that best use is made of them. There is no point waiting for the terrorist come to you but take on them where they come from - the sanctuaries, resources, funding etc. The war against terrorism is always won by killing the machinery and funding of their benefactors beyond just taking on the guns..and history clearly outline this a lesson.

The lesson for Pakistan and the region is that its not enough to put soldiers in the theater but go after the source, funding, the ideology and most important getting the support of the population !

This is the best documentry i have ever watched about afghanistan's war.

This is the best documentry i have ever watched about afghanistan's war.

I have to say, the way they outlined the problems of Helmand, the clear limitations and what happened within Afghanistan was very good. But every time they talked about us, as usual the BBC relies on some poor sources and blamed Pakistan.

Just like that bent faced bastard Amrullah Saleh, whose only contribution to the video was blaming Pakistan and a single comment about Helmand. Blame game and nothing else.

If they had just one single Pakistani representative telling our side of the story it wouldn't matter what these guys say.

Good documentary. Britain's global military power is over.

as usual the BBC relies on some poor sources

Poor sources? :laugh: They interviewed the top British military and political officials who were overseeing the Helmand operation.

Poor sources? :laugh: They interviewed the top British military and political officials who were overseeing the Helmand operation.

Asking Afghans to comment on Pakistan. Me and you are better qualified than Amrullah Saleh to speak about Pakistan, in fact, scratch that, me and you wouldn't lie about it.

So much said about Pakistan, Pakistan was also a key element in the war. And they have the nerve to blame us. Yet.... not a single Pakistani expert in that panel they used for this video, not one.

Asking Afghans to comment on Pakistan. Me and you are better qualified than Amrullah Saleh to speak about Pakistan, in fact, scratch that, me and you wouldn't lie about it.

So much said about Pakistan, Pakistan was also a key element in the war. And they have the nerve to blame us. Yet.... not a single Pakistani expert in that panel they used for this video, not one.
Amrullah Saleh has had access to information that nobody here will ever know about. You can choose not to believe him or other Afghan officials if you want, but they are not "poor sources". If he was a liar, then the US, Britain and many other countries would not still be inviting this man to speak to journalists, academics and government think-tanks, which he does quite regularly.

His position on Pakistan's intelligence services is the same position that the US and Britain has, and this is exactly why when the US tracked down Osama Bin Laden that they killed him without taking Pakistan into confidence. So if Saleh is a liar, then you must think everybody else is too, except for Pakistani officials. Saleh was actually one of the people who was closest to locating Osama Bin Laden's hideout while he was the NDS chief and had worked closely with the Americans on tracking him down. So why do you think he is a liar when everybody else accepts him as credible?

Amrullah Saleh has had access to information that nobody here will ever know about. You can choose not to believe him or other Afghan officials if you want, but they are not "poor sources". If he was a liar, then the US, Britain and many other countries would not still be inviting this man to speak to journalists, academics and government think-tanks, which he does quite regularly.His position on Pakistan's intelligence services is the same position that the US and Britain has,

Oh please. You're from Iran and you're saying this? Anyway, where you're from is entirely irrelevant. I've seen this Amrullah Saleh's interviews before, he's not new to me. He is indeed qualified to speak, but it's a poor choice to use him to speak on behalf of Pakistan, typically BBC rubbish, same as that other documentary they did about Double cross Secret Pakistan,in fact for that one, I wrote a lengthy letter to one of the producers and the BBC. It's a load of rubbish they say about us frankly.

The fact of the matter is, people like him in Afghan intelligence have a clear anti-Pakistan bias, and now thye have proven links with the TTP. It is a well known fact that the Afghan government is composed of war lords, drug lords and northern alliance goons, the Army command at the time and early intelligence apparatus was no different.

If you had watched the video keenly, you'd know who these people were. You know who Amrullah Saleh is?
He was a Northern Alliance chief, he was a rag tag barbarian before he was asked to put a suit on by those who wished to see them in power.

He is not wrong when he says that we have proxies. Everyone has proxies, it's funny, the Northern Alliance are in fact the US' proxies, made unwilling partners. We have our proxies because unlike the US and UK, we have to stay in the region and can't pack up and leave, we're in for the long haul and it's stupid for us to do anything more unnecessary and in fact against our national interest just to please Northern Alliance goons and their masters. You see, we have always wanted a stable and more importantly, friendly power in Afghanistan. Hostility from Afghans is all we have gotten from our independence to this day. yet we shelter them by their millions. ANY reasonable nation state in our position would do what we have done, and in fact, we've done more than I expect from any sane nation, we've willingly put our arses on the line for a war that isn't ours and what a false war it really is.

Here's what Michael Scheuer former CIA officer has to say about it:

'Our interests are not Pakistan's interests, and the Pakistanis have helped us more than anyone has a right to expect. Now, we're there 10 years, we haven't won the war, we're leaving without winning, we're leaving the Pakistanis with a mess.'
..... and let me add, while all this is true, fools like Amrullah Saleh have the nerve to blame us.

Why should we fight your war, which you in all your might, the US+NATO+ISAF failed at, fight your war while you plan to pack up, leave and negotiate with the taliban. What sense does that make to us? We in Pakistan, ordinary people, conversations on the street have been saying since day on of this war that the US will undoubtedly fail. And we know realise what kind of shyt they've got us in to, what reasonable nation would help so much and directly intervene in a war that isn't ours?

and this is exactly why when the US tracked down Osama Bin Laden that they killed him without taking Pakistan into confidence. So if Saleh is a liar, then you must think everybody else is too, except for Pakistani officials. Saleh was actually one of the people who was closest to locating Osama Bin Laden's hideout while he was the NDS chief and had worked closely with the Americans on tracking him down. So why do you think he is a liar when everybody else accepts him as credible?

Again what a load of crap. If there was ANY intelligence to act on OBL in Pakistan, it was carefully considered by everyone. Mushy himself made it clear that this guy Amrullah Saleh is a snake and is not to be trusted with anything. The people he represents are neither here not there, not care for the US counter terrorism goals. If there was any intelligence on Bin laden it would first go to the Americans. And to say that the Americans didn't trust us with Bin Laden is also foolish, we in Pakistan, the army, the ISI, all played our parts in capturing key Al Qaeda operatives.

Top al Qaeda leader arrested in Pakistan - CNN.com

Officials: Pakistani security forces capture key al Qaeda leader - CNN.com

Top 5 Al Qaeda-linked militants Pakistan has captured - Umar Patek - CSMonitor.com

CNN.com - Top al Qaeda operative caught in Pakistan - Mar. 1, 2003

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Top al-Qaeda suspect in US custody

Abu Zubaydah’s arrest activates probe - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan 'catches al-Qaeda chief'
^^ This guy eventually ESCAPED American custody.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Key al-Qaeda suspect arrested

Terror funding hurt by Al Qaeda arrest in Pakistan - CSMonitor.com

Raid Caught Terror Suspect Sleeping - Sun Sentinel

Funny thing is, I quoted 3 BBC links here, they covered the story and then in the documentary they seem to forget their own coverage from years ago.

Anyway, that is a befitting reply to you.

If you wan't to discuss Bin Laden more, then please do, I've discussed him and briefly seen the Abbottabad Commission report. It's all declassified and available on the web, a simple google search will give you it. I've also read into the topic of OBL's arrest and I've debated this topic with Afghans, Pakistanis, Indians and Americans both here and on other forums, literally hundreds of times before. So please, if you have any fight left in you, post away.... but first do the relevant reading.

Document: Pakistan's Bin Laden Dossier - Pakistan's Bin Laden Dossier - Al Jazeera English

Too many people like you are fooled by mainstream media BS, the BBC is not a God given truth. And in fact, back to Amrullah Saleh, he and the people he worked for... They themselves were caught red handed by the US conspiring with the TTP. The Taliban branch of Pakistan responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands:

See look here:

US catches Afghan govt ‘red handed’ in plotting with Pakistani Taliban: Report – The Express Tribune

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/w..._content=bufferbf609&utm_medium=twitter&_r=2&

Afghan intelligence were caught red handed by US personnel transporting a known TTP chief to Kabul, investigation proved they even aided him with travel documents, all while his men conduct attacks on Pakistani forces and suicide bombings in our markets, mosques and streets.

You won't ever see Amrullah Saleh barking about this.

So, yes, to conclude, I reserve my views.

Next time try to do some of your own research instead of chuckling at someone who's calling out the BBC, the owners of your mind for they're usual pathetic examples of journalism.

@ای ایران Remember these are the same people who the world us into Iraq. Don't be so foolish and naive.

Oh please. You're from Iran and you're saying this? Anyway, where you're from is entirely irrelevant. I've seen this Amrullah Saleh's interviews before, he's not new to me. He is indeed qualified to speak, but it's a poor choice to use him to speak on behalf of Pakistan, typically BBC rubbish, same as that other documentary they did about Double cross Secret Pakistan,in fact for that one, I wrote a lengthy letter to one of the producers and the BBC. It's a load of rubbish they say about us frankly.

He wasnt speaking on behalf of Pakistan, he was speaking as the former Afghan intelligence chief. And why should me saying anything as an Iranian surprise you? Rabbani was close to Iran and his government had been briefing Iran on Pakistani moves in Afghanistan before the Taliban had even seized Kabul. The position of the US, Britain and Afghanistan on Pakistan and the Taliban isnt much different from Iran's. The only difference is that Iran is not interested in supporting American ambitions in Afghanistan outside of stabilizing the Kabul government and preventing a Taliban take-over. Thats why Iran cooperated militarily with the US in Afghanistan until 2002, and that US-Iran engagement was ended by America, not Iran.

The fact of the matter is, people like him in Afghan intelligence have a clear anti-Pakistan bias, and now thye have proven links with the TTP. It is a well known fact that the Afghan government is composed of war lords, drug lords and northern alliance goons, the Army command at the time and early intelligence apparatus was no different.

If you had watched the video keenly, you'd know who these people were. You know who Amrullah Saleh is?
He was a Northern Alliance chief, he was a rag tag barbarian before he was asked to put a suit on by those who wished to see them in power.

You call the Northern Alliance 'rag tag' even though the Rabbani government was part of this alliance. If the Northern Alliance was made up of so-called 'rag tags' then Najibullah's regime wouldnt have fallen to these same people in 92 and the Peshawar accord never signed.

He is not wrong when he says that we have proxies. Everyone has proxies, it's funny, the Northern Alliance are in fact the US' proxies, made unwilling partners.

This is the point Saleh was making. The Afghan Taliban is Pakistan's proxy. So why do you call him a liar?

We have our proxies because unlike the US and UK, we have to stay in the region and can't pack up and leave, we're in for the long haul and it's stupid for us to do anything more unnecessary and in fact against our national interest just to please Northern Alliance goons and their masters. You see, we have always wanted a stable and more importantly, friendly power in Afghanistan. Hostility from Afghans is all we have gotten from our independence to this day. yet we shelter them by their millions. ANY reasonable nation state in our position would do what we have done, and in fact, we've done more than I expect from any sane nation, we've willingly put our arses on the line for a war that isn't ours and what a false war it really is.

Here's what Michael Scheuer former CIA officer has to say about it:

'Our interests are not Pakistan's interests, and the Pakistanis have helped us more than anyone has a right to expect. Now, we're there 10 years, we haven't won the war, we're leaving without winning, we're leaving the Pakistanis with a mess.'
..... and let me add, while all this is true, fools like Amrullah Saleh have the nerve to blame us.

So what? Scheuer is saying here pretty much the same thing Bruce Riedel was saying. The only difference is in their reaction to perceived Pakistani 'interests' and how Pakistan goes about it. Scheuer isnt denying that the Afghan Taliban is, or has been, backed by Pakistan's intelligence services.

Again what a load of crap. If there was ANY intelligence to act on OBL in Pakistan, it was carefully considered by everyone. Mushy himself made it clear that this guy Amrullah Saleh is a snake and is not to be trusted with anything. The people he represents are neither here not there, not care for the US counter terrorism goals. If there was any intelligence on Bin laden it would first go to the Americans. And to say that the Americans didn't trust us with Bin Laden is also foolish, we in Pakistan, the army, the ISI, all played our parts in capturing key Al Qaeda operatives.

Top al Qaeda leader arrested in Pakistan - CNN.com

Officials: Pakistani security forces capture key al Qaeda leader - CNN.com

Top 5 Al Qaeda-linked militants Pakistan has captured - Umar Patek - CSMonitor.com

CNN.com - Top al Qaeda operative caught in Pakistan - Mar. 1, 2003

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Top al-Qaeda suspect in US custody

Abu Zubaydah’s arrest activates probe - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan 'catches al-Qaeda chief'
^^ This guy eventually ESCAPED American custody.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Key al-Qaeda suspect arrested

Terror funding hurt by Al Qaeda arrest in Pakistan - CSMonitor.com

Raid Caught Terror Suspect Sleeping - Sun Sentinel

Funny thing is, I quoted 3 BBC links here, they covered the story and then in the documentary they seem to forget their own coverage from years ago.

What does any of this have to do with the US not taking Pakistan into confidence when it killed Bin Laden there? Or are you trying to dispute the American narrative that Pakistan wasnt consulted about the raid on Bin Laden's hide-out until after he was killed? You think that Pakistan knew before that Bin Laden was there and that the US was going to go into Pakistan and execute him? What are you trying to say exactly?

Too many people like you are fooled by mainstream media BS, the BBC is not a God given truth.

You dont know what ive been reading and watching over the years, so keep your comments to yourself. Lets stick to the initial question i asked you instead of you going off on a rant about nothing.

Why do you think that Amrullah Saleh is a liar about Pakistan's relationship with the Taliban? None of the stuff you shared with me disproves Saleh's position and makes him a liar.

Thats all i was asking.

Nothing you've said has convinced me that he is a liar. Your whole argument is basically that Saleh is a so-called "rag tag" and a "goon" who's position on Pakistan you dont like, therefore, he must be biased and a liar. Thats basically what you're saying, without offering anything to show why is lying about Pakistan.

I have to say, the way they outlined the problems of Helmand, the clear limitations and what happened within Afghanistan was very good. But every time they talked about us, as usual the BBC relies on some poor sources and blamed Pakistan.

Just like that bent faced bastard Amrullah Saleh, whose only contribution to the video was blaming Pakistan and a single comment about Helmand. Blame game and nothing else.

If they had just one single Pakistani representative telling our side of the story it wouldn't matter what these guys say.
That part also surprised me, they bluntly accused pakistan, even a man like musharaf who was no way supporter of taliban. The helmand situation was described best , in my opinion, i learnt some new stuff. They were quite honest about their mistakes.

He wasnt speaking on behalf of Pakistan, he was speaking as the former Afghan intelligence chief. And why should me saying anything as an Iranian surprise you? Rabbani was close to Iran and his government had been briefing Iran on Pakistani moves in Afghanistan before the Taliban had even seized Kabul. The position of the US, Britain and Afghanistan on Pakistan and the Taliban isnt much different from Iran's. The only difference is that Iran is not interested in supporting American ambitions in Afghanistan outside of stabilizing the Kabul government and preventing a Taliban take-over. Thats why Iran cooperated militarily with the US in Afghanistan until 2002, and that US-Iran engagement was ended by America, not Iran.

What surprised me is your funny unwillingness to accept that foreign Western media such as the BBC can't be biased, which I've yet to see you admit. You were in fact, in a way backing their credibility. Of course you being Iranian despise anything that resembles the Taliban, you even helped wage war against it's predecessor during the first civil war.

And don't get me wrong, I have no issues with Iran's actions regarding this war. Their response was logical and sanctioned. In fact, as a Pakistani, even though our natural allies in Afghanistan are enemies. We're both in for the long haul with Afghanistan and have to put up with the mess these powers leave. We will deal with the militants, refugees and drug trade, not them.

You call the Northern Alliance 'rag tag' even though the Rabbani government was part of this alliance. If the Northern Alliance was made up of so-called 'rag tags' then Najibullah's regime wouldnt have fallen to these same people in 92 and the Peshawar accord never signed.

Indeed I do. Let's not play this blissfully ignorant game, you know more than I expect from most members, so you know full well what kind of wretched war lords and criminals ruled the land before the Taliban. That's not saying that the Taliban were any good. But the Northern Alliance far from being this professional, sanctioned democratic. Rabbani's rule was a farce too, you remember what happened in summer 1992? All hell broke loose and infighting started, streets were being contested, it was lawless, chaotic and ultimately, yet again, the common man paid the price.

Rabbani then defied the same Peshawar accord later than year, wanting to stay in power, and excluding the wishes of many parties involved in the agreement itself. Afghanistan at the time let's just say it was.... 'A little messed up?'

Please remember, these were the conditions that led to the rise of the Taliban in Kandahar student movement. This huge alliance again showed it's non ragtag professionalism when it massacred people throughout the 90's and again when the US backed it's excursion into Taliban territory following 9/11.

This is the point Saleh was making. The Afghan Taliban is Pakistan's proxy. So why do you call him a liar?

Because it's false. I ask you, who are the Afghan Taliban, can you give me ans answer? I said we have proxies, we have people, we back. It's only sane of us.

To then say we back the Taliban, some of whom are at war with us and have been in bed with those that harm us absurd, do we support the Afghan Taliban? No. Do we support certain elements in Afghanistan, friendly or neutral to Pakistan, yes, of course.

Now back to that question, ask yourself, exactly who the Afghan Taliban are, once you get answer, let me know, if you get the right answer, you won't need to ask me any further about whether we support the Afghan Taliban or not.

So what? Scheuer is saying here pretty much the same thing Bruce Riedel was saying. The only difference is in their reaction to perceived Pakistani 'interests' and how Pakistan goes about it. Scheuer isnt denying that the Afghan Taliban is, or has been, backed by Pakistan's intelligence services.

But you see, it's one thing to say, 'Pakistan is looking after it's own interests, and not willing to put it's neck on the line, fightin our wars, any further'. And saying 'Pakistan back stabbed us, double crossed us, and is ultimately to blame for the failure and revival of the Taliban'. Which the latter is false on more than a few levels:

Firstly, the war was destined to fail since day one, I've been saying this since day one. The way it was conducted, the things that were neglected and other aspects pushed, it was bound to fail like it did.

Secondly, Pakistan for a very long time, helped the US, aided the US wherever they asked for assistance and for a very very long time, we did things that were against our own interests, which pleased uncle Sam, this was why Bush ALWAYS backed Musharraf, this is why we were named a MNNA. But after a while, we could no longer do this, it was like Scheuer said 'killing our stability', this is when the US' tone changed. This happened around the time of Obama's rise to presidency, Hillary Clinton, Leon Penetta all said some pretty harsh and false things about Pakistan openly, which the Bush administration had not done.

So the point here was, we did indeed play our part on the right side of this war. But the moment we saw that this was damaging us, that the US was looking to negotiate with the taliban and leave us a mess, we backed off. As any sane people would do.

Lastly, the Afghan Taliban is not a physical thing, a singular entity with a given chain of command. Don't get me wrong, they are highly professional and very motivated, their lower command structure is impressive, they have co-ordination between faction leaders and officers. But to accuse us of undermining the government with the Taliban defies the second point and the point made about when I asked you to define who the Afghan Taliban are, and who they are to us.

What does any of this have to do with the US not taking Pakistan into confidence when it killed Bin Laden there? Or are you trying to dispute the American narrative that Pakistan wasnt consulted about the raid on Bin Laden's hide-out until after he was killed? You think that Pakistan knew before that Bin Laden was there and that the US was going to go into Pakistan and execute him? What are you trying to say exactly?

You tell me, you brought it up!!

You were making the point that Saleh cited that OBL's presence in Pakistan once it was proven is a point to distrust Pakistan. The point being made by me was that, that isn't the case. We played our part, and Amrullah Saleh, regarding Pakistan/ISI/Al Qaeda is lying through his teeth and has been doing since before 2010.

You dont know what ive been reading and watching over the years, so keep your comments to yourself. Lets stick to the initial question i asked you instead of you going off on a rant about nothing.

No I won't. I've come across too many people who don't have a balanced view because they are fed one side of the story. You said all that above and I've answered you. If you HAD done your reading, all this would be obvious to you. My point is not to poke holes in your credibility. It's merely stating that the BBC do have a bias and for you to back them when the bias is so BLATANT... there must be something I'm missing, surely?

Why do you think that Amrullah Saleh is a liar about Pakistan's relationship with the Taliban? None of the stuff you shared with me disproves Saleh's position and makes him a liar.

Thats all i was asking.

Well for one, Saleh has accused us of ties with Al Qaeda in the past and with the Taliban, the above rant about how much we've done against Al Qaeda disproves some of that.

Also, let me say. If Saleh is accusing of supporting the taliban and you are supporting us of accusing the taliban by backing Amrullah Saleh, then surely... The burden of proof lies upon you. You have to prove to me, we support the Taliban today, on the EXACT same order and magnitude that Saleh accuses us of.

Remember, he says we support all taliban and undermine the government. basic logic and knowledge of the war and our involvement in capturing Taliban leaders, waging war on the talibs and aiding Americans for so long defies this logic.

So no...

It is up to you to prove it to me, and no the other way round.

Nothing you've said has convinced me that he is a liar. Your whole argument is basically that Saleh is a so-called "rag tag" and a "goon" who's position on Pakistan you dont like, therefore, he must be biased and a liar. Thats basically what you're saying, without offering anything to show why is lying about Pakistan.

Again, refer to the above, this is not all I've said. His accusations defy both the American narrative and our own narrative, basic logic defies his accusations. It is not up to me to go through his long list of quotes where he has given NO evidence and for me to then be asked to debunk such argument and evidence when it isn't there.

Anecdotal accusation will be met with anecdotal rebuttal. Only difference is, mine is more in line with reality and logic and other people's respective. His is only in line with the Afghan government's narrative, and of course why wouldn't it be, he's from the same circles as them.

regards,

That part also surprised me, they bluntly accused pakistan, even a man like musharaf who was no way supporter of taliban. The helmand situation was described best , in my opinion, i learnt some new stuff. They were quite honest about their mistakes.

This documentary did surprise me also, they readily admitted to their mistakes. The British at least, but not the Americans. And they also admitted the flawed system in Afghanistan, which is why I was on one hand quite impressed. As for the blame game, it's no surprise that people blame each other. To the US+NATO, anyone that isn't a government sanctioned fighter is taliban. To Pakistan and Afghanistan, anyone who is a friend is a friend, anyone who isn't a friend is either taliban or neutral militant. As for Taliban themselves, anyone wielding a weapon, with a few merry supporters from whatever region and tribe, all they have to do is wan't to settle a score, swear allegiance and they can call themselves taliban too.

Still, I find the BBC's bias regarding Pakistan in this documentary and the war in general disappointing.

This is a country that survives on illegal opium trade. Yet blaming Pakistan for all it's problems.

Back
Top Bottom