What's new

US agencies confirm presence of Chinese troops along LoC

madooxno9

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Despite the strong Chinese denial, Indian authorities have now acquired "independent" confirmation about the increasing presence of Chinese troops along the line of control (LoC) in Kashmir from none other than US security agencies.

Highly placed sources in the government told on Saturday that US intelligence agencies have confirmed to Indian authorities about the increasing presence of Chinese troops all along the LoC.

The chief of the Northern Command, Lieutenant General K T Parnaik, had last week come out in the open with the disclosure about Chinese soldiers being based in . The Chinese foreign ministry, however, denied this even describing these reports as baseless and ridiculous.

"We have a strong real time intelligence sharing mechanism with the US and they have conveyed the same thing to Indian agencies including RAW – that these troops are stationed all along the LoC in . They conveyed this to Indian agencies independently without us seeking any confirmation from them," said an official, adding that the government at the highest level was aware of the latest developments in .

"Their confirmation seemed to be based on technical intelligence. They said these Chinese troops seemed to be involved in construction activities," he added. He, however, added that this was not the first time there was confirmation from the US about heightened Chinese activity along the LoC but that was restricted to the Gilgit-Baltistan area.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to travel to China on April 12 for the BRICS summit. He is slated to have a bilateral meeting with President Hu Jintao along the sidelines of the summit in which he is expected to voice India's concerns over security issues vis-à-vis Pakistan.

While the involvement of Chinese military in infrastructure projects is well known, the sudden spurt in their presence in has caused much consternation in the Indian security establishment. After the assertions made by Lt-Gen Parnaik, the foreign ministry had sought a detailed report from the defence ministry over the issue. Foreign secretary Nirupama Rao, however, had said that raising tension between the two countries was not the right way of handling the situation.

While Pakistan too has described these reports as baseless, it is now well documented that Chinese troops have been around in since late 2009 when they arrived in the Gilgit-Baltistan area supposedly to rebuild the Karakoram highway. According to Indian agencies though, these troops are no longer restricted to this area and that they are now also present in what Pakistan describes as "Azad Kashmir".

Have the 'US agencies' actually confirmed this claim, or is it like the 'David Headley Confessions' that Indian officials plastered all over the Indian media with no actual independent confirmation?

If there is no independent confirmation, then this is not so much 'US agencies confirming Chinese presence' as it is 'Indian officials claiming ..'

Why are they even there? Is this just a show of power or an act of aggression? Or just a random taunt towards India?

"Their confirmation seemed to be based on technical intelligence. They said these Chinese troops seemed to be involved in construction activities," he added.

Exactly, they are there doing construction work.

Not that China or Pakistan need to explain themselves anyway, and especially not to India.

Pakistan can invite whoever they want onto their own land.

Why are they even there? Is this just a show of power or an act of aggression? Or just a random taunt towards India?

you have given the answer already....lol

AGGRESSION :I DO NO THINK SO

TAUNT : MAY BE , RATHER WE CAN SAY ENCIRCLING India and future tactics ...

you have given the answer already....lol

AGGRESSION :I DO NO THINK SO

TAUNT : MAY BE , RATHER WE CAN SAY ENCIRCLING India and future tactics ...

Do you think that you are so important to China, that we would spend all this time and money, just to "taunt you?

I don't think so. :disagree: What a waste of good money that would be....

The resource routes from Gwadar port, and along the Karakorum highway, are the real issues here.

"They said these Chinese troops seemed to be involved in construction activities"

Construction activities such as what? Dams? Infrastructure (military and/or civilian)? If so, then what is wrong with it?

The headline makes it sound as if the Chinese are deploying troops along the LoC to utilize in case hostilities break out between China and India.

Exactly, they are there doing construction work.
Pakistan can invite whoever they want onto their own land.

The point of contention is that the Pakistani Kashmir is part of a disputed land. They are free to invite whomsoever they wish in other areas of their country. But presence of military in disputed land is not a wise move and India is justified in showing concerns.

It could be a move to keep away the perceived Indian threat as most of the resources are now engaging in the north waziristan operation.

The point of contention is that the Pakistani Kashmir is part of a disputed land. They are free to invite whomsoever they wish in other areas of their country. But presence of military in disputed land is not a wise move and India is justified in showing concerns.

India also claims Chinese land (Aksai Chin) as part of Kashmir.

So obviously, China is going to back Pakistan on this issue. Stapled visas, referring to AK/GB as Pakistan's "Northern areas", etc. Not to mention our Gwadar supply route via the KKH.

I guess you could stop claiming Aksai Chin as a part of Kashmir, and you won't have to worry about us in Kashmir.

We both know that is NOT going to happen though. So, business as usual. I.e. Pakistan is free to invite whoever they want into their Northern areas.

India also claims Chinese land (Aksai Chin) as part of Kashmir.
So obviously, China is going to back Pakistan on this issue. Stapled visas, referring to AK/GB as Pakistan's "Northern areas", etc. Not to mention our Gwadar supply route via the KKH.
I guess you could stop claiming Aksai Chin as a part of Kashmir, and you won't have to worry about us in Kashmir.

Would the Chinese be comfy if India gets the American military engineering to build the highway and dams that are now being constructed in Indian Kashmir?

Would the Chinese be comfy if India gets the American military engineering to build the highway and dams that are now being constructed in Indian Kashmir?

Go ahead, most Chinese people don't even know where Kashmir is. :azn:

The biggest opposition you'll get is from Pakistan I'd imagine.

Bottom line: It is pointless to ask others to respect your sensitivities, if you have never respected theirs.

Go ahead, most Chinese people don't even know where Kashmir is. :azn:
The biggest opposition you'll get is from Pakistan I'd imagine.
Bottom line: It is pointless to ask others to respect your sensitivities, if you have never respected theirs.

Where did the backing Pakistan go now?
I think India has been wise enough not to involve any foreign military presence in Kashmir, apart from few training exercises from Israelis and the Brits.

I wonder why couldn't the Pakistani engineers do this job? I am not against the infrastructure projects, but why escalate tensions when we seem to be going forward on confidence building measures before another round of peace talks?

Yup, the Chinese with their dangerous construction tools are a serious security threat to the Great state of India. How can we have peace in South Asia when Chinese people are engaging in such hostile activities. Learn a thing or two from Gandhi's non-violent ways and stop your damn violent construction activities man.

Back
Top Bottom