What's new

Upcoming Pakistani films

‘I can release Yalghaar any given Thursday’
By Hasan Ansari
Published: June 1, 2015
CGbSamJU8AAVkmn.jpg

First look of the movie is expected to release in June with an individual trailer being made for the main cast. PHOTO: PUBLCITY

KARACHI:
Any one following the behind-the-scenes pictures being posted by the cast and crew of Yalghaar is bound to feel a rush of blood to the head. The cast in military uniforms with extremely Schwarzenegger-esque physiques say a lot about the anticipated action quotient of the film. “It was no less than a mission,” says Dr Hassan Waqas Rana, the director of Yalghaar. With almost a three-year gap between Waar and Yalghaar, Doc ( Rana’s nickname in the media industry) Rana elaborated that he spent a considerable amount of time honing his filmmaking skills.“After Waar I spent the next three months abroad training in different film institutions to update my filmmaking skills,” says Doc. This helped him tackle tricky aesthetic calls such as shooting the film at up to 10 thousand frames per second.

Hassan-Waqas-Rana.jpg

Based on the Pakistani army’s Swat Operation, Rana’s had started working on its script before he had written Waar. “This operation received worldwide coverage and is regarded as an amazing feat of soldiering; which is even taught at military institutions.”Despite the widespread coverage the operation received Rana still terms it as a “forgotten milestone” due to the current turmoil within the country — something that he hopes to rectify with his upcoming film. Yalghaar which is halfway through the editing table is an epic in every sense as it stars some of the industries more established and renowned actors like Shaan, Humayun Saeed, Adnan Siddiqui, Ayub Khosa and Ayesha Omer. But more than anything it was the new and fresh crop of talent that Rana was keen on working with. “This was Shaan’s idea that we need new stars on the horizon. It is important to bring forth new kids with a lot of promise.”

Yalghaar-7-copy.jpg

Of the two (relatively) newbies part of the cast; the director reserved special praise for Umair Jaswal and Bilal Ashraf. “Both of them took to filming like a mission, Yalghaar was a very physically demanding movie. First they spent almost a year in the gym training and getting the right look and then went and stayed with the Special Forces. Plus each and every person in the movie is important because I couldn’t cast a B-Grade actor opposite Shaan or Humayun.”With more than a handful of similarities existing between Waar and Yalghaar, Doc reiterated that both of them were in fact very different films and how he, himself wanted to shed the weight of expectations created by his debut film.

Rs230m.jpg

“I am the biggest critic of my own work. Everything that I do has to be better than Waar, not by one step but by ten times.” Yalghaar was initially set for an Eid-ul-Fitr release, but with a series of Pakistani films expected to release in the coming few months, he postponed it, feeling that it was not the right time to compete with each other. “I’ve spoken to other producers and everybody is gracious enough to give each other time.”The film is now slated to release later in summer, most probably after Mahira Khan and Humayun Saeed’s Bin Roye completes its running at the box office.“I can even release my film on any Thursday and if it is good it will do well,” the Waar numbers seem to have made Doc more confident about the prospects of Yalghaar.

Yalghaar-6-copy.jpg

The first look for the movie is expected to release in June with an individual trailer being made for the main cast. The soundtrack for the movie will include eight songs by different artists, including Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Shafqat Amanat Ali and Abida Parveen whereas the background score has been done by Zulfiqar Jabbar ‘Xulfi’ Khan.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 2nd, 2015.

I saw WAAR ... it was a good movie. Far better than many Bollywood movies in many aspect but the fact it was in english kind of took the edge off it. I hope the second part will be in Urdu/Punjabi.

I saw WAAR ... it was a good movie. Far better than many Bollywood movies in many aspect but the fact it was in english kind of took the edge off it. I hope the second part will be in Urdu/Punjabi.

2nd will be shot in 4 foreign countries but not in Pakistan. So, sit tight for some classy international standard entertainment.

Junoon sae or ishq sae!: Jinnah to be re-released in Pakistan
By Rafay Mahmood
Published: June 1, 2015
CGbRtu9VIAAVCDa.jpg

Christopher Lee plays the role of Jinnah in the film and considers it his most iconic performance to date. PHOTO: PUBLICITY

KARACHI: Quaide-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah would have been a proud man if he was alive today. Not because of any respite in the ongoing socio political crises but because his only feature length biopic is all set re-release in Pakistan. After the producers of Jinnah declared bankruptcy and the film ended up in the hands of a liquidator, the director of the film, Jamil Dehlavi, bought the rights to its international release a few years ago. Now Dehlavi is all set to re-release the Christopher Lee-starrer in theaters across the country.

Unbenannt-2-copy.jpg

“I think Jinnah’s message deserves to be seen by the younger generation that wasn’t around when the film was initially released,” Dehlavi told The Express Tribune. Written by Akbar S Ahmed and Dehlavi himself, the film was originally released in Pakistan and the UK in 1998 and has now been digitised to suit the requirements of multiplexes. There were only 24, 35mm prints of the film available, which were lying in the then Nishat Cinema and were destroyed when the cinema was torched during protests on Ishqe-Rasool day. “All the prints were destroyed in the fire and we had to start everything anew. But, fortunately, I had the film in a format that may be obsolete these days but gave us room to start from somewhere. Adjusting the sound to digital requirements was a big challenge though,” said Dehlavi.

1998.jpg

The idea of releasing Jinnah struck Dehlavi when the film was being screened at different places as part of the I am Karachi film festival. During the screenings, which took place in the last week of May, Jinnah was screened in front of more than 4,500 children from underprivileged backgrounds at popular venues, such as Capri, Prince, Atrium and City cinema in the Federal B area. “Our purpose is to raise awareness about the struggle for the creation of Pakistan and for the younger generation to participate in a discussion about the future of Pakistan,” stated an invite for the film’s re-launch at Nueplex cinemas; an event which will serve like a precursor for the nationwide release. With Ramazan on its way and the producers starting the pre-release hype, it seems that the film may capitalise on the national fervor by releasing on August 14.

Jamil-Dehlavi.jpg

“We don’t have a particular date or time-frame in mind. All I can assure is that I own the film now and it will be released in cinemas across the country very soon,” said Dehlavi.

Apart from Lee, Jinnah’s cast includes Shashi Kapoor, James Fox, Maria Aitken, FRichard Lintern , Shireen Shah , Indira Verman, Shakeel and Talat Hussain.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 2nd, 2015.

@Armstrong @ghazi52 @SBD-3

2nd will be shot in 4 foreign countries but not in Pakistan. So, sit tight for some classy international standard entertainment.
The first part was also upto international standard but had it been in Urdu it would have been far more better. No offence.
Shoot the movie wherever one wants but keep it Urdu. When I watched Waar it looked like I was watching a dubbed movie.

PS: would you suggest any other movie to watch? How was BOL? Do mention few others worth watching.

The first part was also upto international standard but had it been in Urdu it would have been far more better. No offence.
Shoot the movie wherever one wants but keep it Urdu. When I watched Waar it looked like I was watching a dubbed movie.

PS: would you suggest any other movie to watch? How was BOL? Do mention few others worth watching.

You can ask whoever here you want, they will confirm that our military guys specially army officers always speak both english and urdu combined in real life. They got very firm accent which is recognizable.

Yes they should balance the use of both more appropriately albeit the director, producer aren't some students of our typical sub-continental crappy directors but modern filmmakers with world class film knowledge, so they take different approach and maybe wannamake the movie more appealing to viewers outside sub-continent too.

Anyway, we're leaping from ancient movies with over-acting to modern reality movies, so yes many phases are skipped. But it's the way forward for which even your industry isn't ready and would hesitate cause audience gotta adjust to the new tempo. But somehow, it's working here and shouldn't stop now.

I watched bol once in a hurry. You should watch but better dig up the plot first before watching because it's too sensitive movie. Haven't watched other ones cause if you miss it on big-screen, it's hard to find a copy.

You can ask whoever here you want, they will confirm that our military guys specially army officers always speak both english and urdu combined in real life. They got very firm accent which is recognizable.

Yes they should balance the use of both more appropriately albeit the director, producer aren't some students of our typical sub-continental crappy directors but modern filmmakers with world class film knowledge, so they take different approach and maybe wannamake the movie more appealing to viewers outside sub-continent too.

Anyway, we're leaping from ancient movies with over-acting to modern reality movies, so yes many phases are skipped. But it's the way forward for which even your industry isn't ready and would hesitate cause audience gotta adjust to the new tempo. But somehow, it's working here and shouldn't stop now.

I watched bol once in a hurry. You should watch but better dig up the plot first before watching because it's too sensitive movie. Haven't watched other ones cause if you miss it on big-screen, it's hard to find a copy.

Thanks for such a detailed reply bruv ... it was just a friendly observation. No offence. I saw Khuda ke Liye in theater here in India. It was a brilliant movie and loved it. So asked if you can suggest some other good movie. I saw a trailer the other day Not sure about the name of the movie but the only thing I remember from the trailer was when the three friends were jumping while hugging each other and one of the guy says ... birthday mera hai par treat tujhe mil rahi hai. :rofl:

Thanks for such a detailed reply bruv ... it was just a friendly observation. No offence. I saw Khuda ke Liye in theater here in India. It was a brilliant movie and loved it. So asked if you can suggest some other good movie. I saw a trailer the other day Not sure about the name of the movie but the only thing I remember from the trailer was when the three friends were jumping while hugging each other and one of the guy says ... birthday mera hai par treat tujhe mil rahi hai. :rofl:

NaMaloom Afraad

NaMaloom Afraad
Yes that one ... how was it? I searched for it on youtube but it was camera print .... I think there should be a perma thread to promote Pakistani movies on PDF.

Yes that one ... how was it? I searched for it on youtube but it was camera print .... I think there should be a perma thread to promote Pakistani movies on PDF.

Haven't watched it, as I said miss on big-screen and you not gonna find it for like an year or two. This thread is about Pakistani movies and perma, but news come after weeks in between so it's slow

Jawani Phir Nahi Aani 2015

mehwish-hayat-in-Jawani-Pher-nahi-ani.jpg

Upcoming Pakistani Movie Jawani Phir Nahi Aani 2015 is a comedy movie by Pakistani actor/director Humayun Saeed now he is fully Recovered from his injuries of accident in Bangkok while he was trying to find locations for his new movie Jawani Phir Nahi Aani sooner he will find the best places may be he will be this month.

Upcoming Movie Jawani Phir Nahi Aani is gonna be produced under the banner of Humayun Saeed production house, Six Sigma Plus. Impending Movie is basically amusing twist on how some spouses don’t give their partners any space.
The Star cast of this movie will be

• Humayun Saeed,
  • Ayesha Khan,
  • Javed sheikh,
  • Omar Shareef,
  • Ahmad Butt,
  • Hamza Ali Abbasi,
  • Mehwish hayaat,
  • Sarwat Gillani,
  • Sohail Ali Abro,
  • and one and only Bushra Ansari to create her on panel.
It’s likely to be a genuinely fun film with several hip songs and is going to be shot in Bangkok. Which is purely being an entertainer!.

Jawani Phir Nahi Aani first Poster

Pakistani Movie Jawani Phir Nahi Aani 2015 Trailer

'Moor' and 'Dekh Magar Pyar Say' to battle it out on Independence Day
By Rafay Mahmood
Published: June 3, 2015
896990-rtfghcfbcfv-1433334626-307-640x480.jpg

Producers of ‘Moor’ also feature an Axact scandal in the film for which Jami received a legal notice. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: The trailer of Jami’s film Moor made an instant impact on the cinema going audience and on social media when it first came out nearly two years ago. The snowcapped highlands of Balochistan showcased in the trailer depicted a fresh view of the embattled province.

The movie seemed promising. However, much like Waar and many other Pakistani films, so much time has passed between the hype (trailer) and the release, one almost has to revive the memory of the trailer that got us interested in the first place.

Two years of anticipation and tentative dates of release later, Moor is finally slated to hit cinemas on August 14. The film’s official Facebook page had a post stating ‘4th June Press Conference for 14th August launch’ and the news was also confirmed by the film’s PR company. But this time it’ll be joined by Asadul-Haq’s Dekh Magar Pyar Say (DMPS). The needless delay in Moor’s release has bit the producers and distributors in the back. So many Pakistani films are lined up for release on Eid that August 14 appears to be the only possible option left for both Moor and DMPS. But since Independence Day is falling on a Friday this year, the films will benefit from a long weekend, giving moviegoers three consecutive off days to catch the action.

1904009_676827745692688_404610858_n.jpg
PHOTO: HOUSEOFPAKISTAN

Due to the glam value added by Sikander Mufti and Humaima Malick, the Hameed Sheikh starrer Moor is likely to take a hit at the box office. The competition will then eventually be between mainstream commercial cinema and art-house film, which will obviously go in favour DPMS. This reminds us of how Na Maloom Afraad and Operation 021 clashed at the box office last year with the former turning out to be a surprise package.

However, Moor has its own pinch of masala to offer as the film also features something ‘more’ on the Axact scandal. Insiders in Moor’s team told The Express Tribune the movie includes an Axact case or story, as one of the characters suffers at the hands of the company’s illegal practices. Whether the producers have named the company is not apparent. Neither is the nature of the story. Yet, it is sure to add that extra zing to the film’s appeal.

A tweet by Jami on May 20 confirmed the plot point. “As we don’t stay quiet we got a legal notice few months back as we knew what they do at Axact. Here it is,” read the director’s post on the microblogging site. Attached was a picture of the legal notice sent under Section 8 of the Defamation Ordinance 2002, claiming damages of Rs500 million. Though the notice itself accuses Jami of slanderous tweets, Jami has not shied from including an expository take on Axact’s practices in the film.

5 things you need to know about Jami's upcoming film Moor
MEHREEN HASAN — UPDATED about 12 hours ago

557190bb39bd7.jpg

Jami's upcoming Moor will have an Independence Day release — Photo courtesy moorthefilm.com
This Independence Day, audiences in Pakistan will have the chance to witness a cinematic love letter to the motherland.

Directed by Jami, Moor (pronounced 'Mor' and alternatively used for 'mother' and 'the land' in Pushto) has been in the works for a while. Jami began working on the film in 2007 and it sees fruition after nearly eight years, the year after he made his debut as film director with O21.

Packed with action and drama, the film is Jami’s answer to “how we should handle ourselves in a Pakistan where a new drama unfolds everyday.” TheMoor team shared this and more at the press meet held in Karachi yesterday, where the film's latest trailer was shown and website was launched.

1. Moor puts Balochistan's beautiful scenery on the map

In a series of disjointed phrases, director Jami described Moor as “the cure for all hopelessness, a film about Pakistan, which is specifically about trains… (and) about families… (and) how we should handle ourselves in a Pakistan where a new drama unfolds everyday.”

Strangely enough, some people see it as a film about terrorism, shared Jami, but the rest of us can breathe a sigh of relief that we’ll be watching an action drama that doesn’t concern the war against terror.

More importantly, we’ll be watching a film that puts Balochistan on the big screen, a region with unparalleled cinematic value. “Wherever we placed the camera, the framing would be beautiful,” relates Jami, who likens Balochistan’s vistas to the setting of Lawrence of Arabia.

55718c0dc2e34.jpg

“Wherever we placed the camera, the framing would be beautiful,” relates Jami about shooting in Balochistan — Photo courtesy the newly launched moorthefilm.com
When asked why he made Moor in Balochistan, Jami further elaborated that issues in the train network are the worst there. The trains, which are the cheapest form of transport, were systematically shut down by corrupt people, which affected many, many lives. Balochistan thus mattered more, Jami said.

One of the film's most accomplished actors, Abdul Qadir, who's earned a Pride of Performance and several other accolades, summed it up nicely: “'Mor' means mother. We can do so much for our mothers; our land is also like our mother, and we should do every good deed to make its name shine. Jami’s film is one such beautiful effort.”

2. Moor’s making began on a train

The process of making Moor began in 2007 at a time when train issues were even worse than they are today. To write the script, Jami and team decided to travel to Balochistan by train. “The 10-11 hour journey took us two days on a train that had no windows, no bathrooms and barely functioning lights. The engine broke down multiple times, and the diesel ran out just as many. And oh, we couldn’t stand near the door, because “rocket launcher kabhi bhi asakta hai”. We couldn’t have anticipated the serious issues that we saw.”

55718cd760bb4.jpg

The cast and crew of Moor at the press meet — Publicity photo
Shooting in Muslimbagh had trials of its own. Not only was the weather inclement, but they encountered lack of support from security forces who would intervene to tell them it’s not safe. Surprisingly, the 'Taliban' cooperated and even emptied out their headquarters for them to shoot in. “Our crew included girls wearing Western clothes, and nobody cared,” he shared.

3. Moor's final cast is the product of many changes

Moor stars Hameed Sheikh, Samiya Mumtaz, Abdul Qadir, Shabbir Rana, Ayaz Samoo, Soniya Hussain as well as New York-based actor, Shaz Khan, in prominent roles.

This final cast is a product of many changes: Shabbir Rana opted out from the lead role to give room to Hameed Sheikh, who would be able to meet the physical challenges of the role. Shot in freezing temperatures that dipped as low as -14 degrees, the cast (which included Sheikh's sons who play his younger selves) had to shoot their scenes wearing no extra layers. Sheikh was selected after Jami was struck by his entry in the film Kandahar Break, which the two of him were actually viewing to help select other actors from the region. Sheikh didn’t expect to be cast in that process.

Samiya Mumtaz was Jami's first choice for the female lead, but he reconsidered casting her after seeing her then hairstyle, which was a close approximation of Hameed Sheikh's current bald look! Jami had envisioned long, flowing hair for Moor's female lead, but after his second choice walked out, he begged Mumtaz to do the role.

When asked about her seemingly similar roles in Moor and her last film,Dukhtar, Mumtaz replied, “Peechay pahar hain and aur mai aik aurat hoon, us ke ilawa koi similarity nahi hai. (Apart from having mountains behind me, and being a woman, there’s no similarity between the two roles.)"

55718c0d8c4fe.jpg

Samiya Mumtaz considers her role in Moor completely different from the one half of a brave mother-daughter duo on the run she played in Dukhtar — Photo courtesy moorthefilm.com
Ayaz Samoo, who’s known as a stand-up comedian, was cast as a villain in the film in a role that didn’t even initially exist. “Somewhere along the line, Jami bhai decided that Moor needed a wacko, and cast me in the role. For more than a decade, I’ve been stamped as a funny guy, and Jami bhai is the only person to be able to ignore it,” he shared.

The film also gives the opportunity for actors of the region to enjoy the spotlight.

“I’m from a people who know how to live in the mountains, but I can't swim. But Jami was able to make me do it. My fellow actors proved that they are no less than any other in the country,” said Abdul Qadir.

55718cd82ab6c.jpg

Abdul Qadir is one of the senior-most actors from Quetta who will be seen in Moor — Publicity photo
4. The film has a promising soundtrack

Strings were famously roped in to produce Moor's seven-song soundtrack, but yesterday's press meet reminded us that it will also boast the likes of Meesha Shafi, Javed Bashir and Rahim Shah, who's contributed a song in Pushto. Rahma Ali, whom we first heard on Coke Studio's last season, has also lent her vocals to one track (she was asked to sing a song called ‘Chalo Younhee Sahi’ after Anwar Maqsood chanced upon her singing during rehearsals for Sawa 14 August's Islamabad run, in which she played a small part).

Another interesting revelation was that Bilal Maqsood and Faisal Kapadia have sang solo tracks for the film.

Jami doesn't know when Anwar Maqsood volunteered to pen the lyrics for the film's songs, but he does admit driving Bilal Maqsood up the wall with his multiple revisions of the film.

"150 versions of the film were made, which means the music had to be changed as many times. Any other musician would have called it quits, but Bilal handled it. And I don't even know when Anwar Maqsood volunteered to write the lyrics for the film..." The soundtrack seems promising, and we'll get to hear it soon after Ramzan, promised film's producer Nadeem Mandviwala.

5. There was an elephant in the room...

While everyone skirted around the fact that Jami’s debut film O21 was less than well-received, Mandviwala himself assured the press that no one will say that they couldn't understand Moor.

“Jami thinks and talks abstractly. Wo shor sharaba nahi machatay. Zor se baat karte nahi ke meri baat sun lo, bohot piyar se baat kehenge jis may maanay bohot ho gay,” he said.

SHAH Life of a boxer

11425174_861047733982478_147614991283305381_n.jpg

Sorry of topic
but i m just curious has anyone seen
'Baahubali' movie trailer.

MOOR: BRINGING BALOCHISTAN BACK ON TRACK

02:05 By LollywoodOnline Moor No comments

KARACHI:
Of all those involved in Moor, actor Samiya Mumtaz perfectly summed up the anticipation surrounding the release of the movie: “I think the pregnancy of this film was quite long and with its birth around the corner, it feels quite nice.”

All queries surrounding the releases of the film were put to rest in a press conference held by the team of Moor on Thursday. Shot in some of the most scenic locations of Balochistan, the director of the movie, Jamshed ‘Jami’ Mahmood, described it as a film “about Pakistan”. Mooris set to release in cinemas on August 14.
Having conceived the idea for the film in the pre-Waar days, Jami had initially titled the film as Wahid (One) but changed it to Moor on producer Nadeem Mandviwall’s insistence. Hameed Sheikh, who will be seen essaying the role of a patriarch Wahidullah Khan, recalled how he was accidently cast while showing the work of other actors from Quetta in a British film called Kandahar Break. “Right when I made my entry inKandaharBreak, Jami paused. It’s every actor’s wish to see people watching his performance but Jami just looked at me and went into a different chain of thought, at the end of which he offered me the lead role in Moor,” he said. Earlier, Shabbir Rana was supposed to play Wahidullah Khan but because of the sub-zero conditions and physically-gruelling filming schedule, the director requested him to opt out of the film.
Although Sheikh has major releases like Khuda Kay Liye and Operation 021 under his belt, the opportunity to act in a film about Quetta, Balochistan, was one he couldn’t refuse. “I’m very inspired by spaghetti westerns, Sergione Leone films. I had always wished to preserve the railway tracks of Balochistan so that someone can someday make a movie featuring them,” stated Sheikh. With a cast of local actors, including Samiya Mumtaz, Shaz Khan, Ayaz Samoo, Shabbir Rana, Sonya Hussain and Ayaz Samoo, the Pride of Performance recipient, Abdul Qadir noted how being part of a film such as Moor was a new experience for him.
He compared the people of Quetta to mountains; and like them, they stay where they are. But a director like Jami has brought them out of their comfort zone making them perform tasks they aren’t usually accustomed to. “As people, who live in the mountains, we know how to glide but we do not know how to swim and Jami made me swim,” said Qadir.
When asked to classify Moor as a commercial movie or an art-house film, Mandviwalla, quipped that any movie you invest in, eventually becomes a commercial film. “People make films with a budget of $200 million but not with the intention of a few people coming to watch it. Everyone strives to make a movie which people will watch and appreciate.”
The soundtrack for the film has been composed by Jami’s frequent-collaborator Strings. “We have around 150 (edited) versions for the film and Strings worked effortlessly every time I asked them to change the soundtrack or a score,” said Jami. The music of Moor is expected to release right after Ramazan.

Back
Top Bottom