What's new

Upcoming Pakistani films

Manto The Film' Official Trailer -

........Good debate but please stay cool.

Meanwhile ...

11823732_826889764084871_48843402_n.jpg

Humaima Malik at Lahore airport, all set to start promoting DMPS.

After the success of 3 Pak movies in past month, DMPS, Moor & Shah to be released on Aug 13 & 14.

swaarangi.jpg

___

DMPS director Asad Ul Haq says there's nothing typical about his rom-com

934565-___n-1439156499-209-640x480.jpg

The ace ad maker talks to us about his directorial venture, raising the bar and pushing boundaries.

KARACHI: Asad Ul Haq — director of upcoming rom-comDekh Magar Pyaar Say (DMPS) — is keen on pushing boundaries that define cinema. For instance, if you have seen the trailer, there’s a chance you might have asked yourself what is it that the makers are trying to achieve. Well, lucky for you, we have the answer(s).

“It was intentional. There’s this trend nowadays, and even Hollywood is doing it, to show the entire movie in the trailer. You see the promo, you see the full film. I didn’t want to do that so I added an element of intrigue to the DMPS trailer,” Asad said while speaking to The Express Tribune.

“It’s a love story but there is a huge part of the story that you don’t know about. You will go imagining it’s the usual boy-meets-girl rom-com but what’s going to happen in the second half will surprise you. I am hoping that is what will hook the audience on,” he said, when asked if not revealing the story line in the promos has gone against the film.
Kaala Dooriyan - 45 secs Teaser

But why must the audience choose to watch DMPS especially when there are two other films (Shah and Moor) releasing on the same day? “I have got the music. I have got the promos which nobody has. That’s what will bring the audience to the cinemas. Every three days we are releasing a new video,” he said.

“All three films are different and I will go watch both the other films. We are not competing in the strict sense.”

Talking about the feedback he has received so far Asad said that everyone has told him the film is visually appealing. “Although, someone said to me they are concerned that Sikandar doesn’t look like a rickshaw driver and I said even Lahore doesn’t look like Lahore. When was the last time you saw such a pimped up rickshaw? Everyone is wearing Shero’s (Hassan Sheheryar Yasin) clothes. So if I have crossed that line, I might as well go overboard with everything,” he added.

Even though Asad acknowledges that like most rom-coms DMPS is based on a premise familiar to the audience, there’s more to his film not just in terms of storyline but also in the way the story has been told.

“We have done it differently. This is what you should be ready for,” he said, explaining in detail certain elements in the film revealing which at this point would be unjust. But going by his words, be prepared to experience something you haven’t ever before.

“When you see it you might even say ‘why’? But, why not? It’s not a typical film,” he asserted.

Asad, who is one of Pakistan’s top ad makers, took a break from his usual job and what appears to be a big risk by making DMPS. Not financially, but in trying to present to the audience a story in a format they haven’t seen before. And he has gone to great lengths to achieve this. His cinematographer and editor, for example, are both foreigners who don’t understand Urdu.

Pakistani Movie Dekh Magar Pyaar Say Official Trailer

Theatrical Trailer of JAWANI PHIR NAHI ANI

Swaarangi will be shown in Punjab

55e94a167f224.jpg

The Central Board of Film Certification banned Swaarangi from being shown in Islamabad and cantonments across the country — Publicity photo

Film star Resham’s much-talked-about comeback film Swaarangi has been cleared by the Punjab Censor Board and is scheduled to release on September 11, as earlier announced.

Last week, the film was banned by the Central Board of Film Certification. All cinemas in Islamabad and cantonments across the country follow the central board, while provincial boards decide a film’s fate for the rest of the country.

“It’s been censored in Punjab with zero cuts and we have issued a certificate,” secretary of the Punjab Censor Board, Muhammad Haseeb, told Dawn.com.

Talking exclusively to Dawn.com, producer Mazhar Abbas also confirmed that the Punjab Censor Board had cleared Swaarangi.

About the ban by the central board, he said, “Their notification said it was not recommended to be screened in its present form. I see this as their opinion and not a reason to ban the film. We told them they could edit whatever they deemed objectionable or offensive, but they chose to ban all of it. Punjab, on the other hand, had no objections and okayed it completely.”

Haseeb claimed the central board thought it was promoting drug addiction, so did not allow its release.

“The Punjab board found nothing objectionable in the film. Here we follow the same law that they do but with slight amendments -- Punjab Motion Pictures Amendment Act 2012,” he added. “It came for censor last month and has been cleared now.”

Talking about members of various censor boards, Abbas said the Lahore and Karachi boards comprised artists from the industry, while he had no idea which fields the Islamabad board members belonged to, what was their background, yet they decided if a film should be screened or not.

.....................................................................................
11951820_923262037730222_2148274687783610915_n.jpg

11888085_918084218248004_3117289722864647950_n.jpg

11137147_922042771185482_1407442458678703575_n.jpg

11895978_923180797738346_1162673830649008591_n.jpg

11954640_924233807633045_2601553467571855070_n.jpg

11986350_924217777634648_943854186440820190_n.jpg

11960191_921086024614490_2860068822353225537_n.jpg

11889593_920806574642435_4998719760576243880_n.jpg

_

Mehlab - an upcoming film from Balochistan - based on a true love story

11990583_730820037061413_4857122808565272594_n.jpg

11960121_730820047061412_3760415742722077090_n.jpg

11986914_730820043728079_4735462077152925930_n.jpg

11988199_730820023728081_5071757226512953785_n.jpg

_

Jawani Phir Nahin Aani is a drunk desi uncle on the dance floor. Here's why you should watch it now

The film is hilarious even when it's awkward. Branding and bad dancing brings it down but it's saved by Pakistani humour

5601139194596.jpg
Despite its flaws, JPNA is an out-and-out entertainer. -- Photos: Screengrabs from JPNA
With a star-studded cast, exotic locations and the promise of plenty of entertainment, Jawani Phir Nahin Aani (JPNA) is easily this season's biggest release.

The film scores on many levels, with some excellent performances, sleek styling and plenty of laughs. But it is also let down by some frankly awful songs, awkward product placement and heavy inspiration from Bollywood. Nevertheless, it’s a laugh-out-loud entertainer with just the right feel-good factor for Eid.

Note: Spoilers ahead!

Introducing Sherry and his band of hapless husbands
Humayun Saeed plays lawyer Sherry who returns after years in America to find that his three best friends are now hen-pecked husbands.

He manages to arrange a boys-only trip to Bangkok for his crew, where Mehwish Hayat, the daughter of an underworld Don, falls for him. The plot thickens as his friends’ wives find out what they’ve been up to. With his three friends’ marriages falling apart, Sherry himself heads to Lahore to marry a billionaire’s daughter, played by Sohai Ali Abro. When Mehwish arrives in Lahore to claim her prince, mayhem ensues.

560110653f8a4.jpg
Sherry (Humayun Saeed) with his boys — Publicity photo

Also read: JPNA trailer: A hackneyed story of henpecked husbands?

The plot itself is full of holes and Sherry comes across as an amoral character whose motives are never clear. The entire story line about Sherry being engaged to both a billionaire’s daughter and a mafioso’s daughter is lifted straight from Bollywood movie Houseful 2.

56010a9c349b2.jpg
Sherry's hopefuls, played by Mehwish and Sohai — Publicity photos

What saves the film are inspired performances by the ensemble cast and many genuinely funny moments.

JPNA gets comedy right, and the cast have a funny bone
Writer Vasay Chaudry, who also plays one of Sherry’s friends, has filled the script with self-aware one-liners, references to Pakistani pop culture and hilarious situations. There are some cringe-worthy scenes, but it’s the lesser slapstick comedy that had the audience laughing out loud and clapping.

The gags allude to ad slogans, drama serials, films like Waar and Bol, Shah Rukh Khan, TV anchors and the actors themselves. In one scene Sohai Ali Abro goes to bridal designer XYZ while in another Hamza Ali Abbasi is called Pyaare Afzal. Witty and self-deprecating, the jokes reference pop culture with a light touch.

56010bb4284af.jpg
Vasay Chaudhry is responsible for the funny script — Publicity photo

Actor Ahmed Ali Butt gets some of the best farcical moments, including mistakenly romancing his father-in-law and a Thai massage gone wrong. His comedic timing is one of the many acting highlights of the film.

Much of the ensemble cast has small parts. Both Javed Sheikh and Bushra Ansari play caricature characters that resemble former roles. The two veterans do an excellent job and are engaging and amusing.

560106aee9276.jpg
Veterans Bushra Ansari and Javed Sheikh bring some extra zing to the film — Publicity photo
Jawani Phir Nahi Ani
Sarwat Gillani has also small role as Vasay’s Pathan wife but she lights up the screen whenever she appears. Her accent and mannerisms are superb and she gives an exemplary character performance.

guys i have seeen the movie jawani phir nahi aani

its bloody hilarious
pure entertainer
my bones were cracked out of laughter
people were falling down from seats with laughter

most funiest move u have seen in the recent time
must watch this film......This has to be the BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR

Shaan's Arth 2 finally hits the floors

Shaan's long awaited remake of Mahesh Bhatt's Arth, titled Arth 2, finally goes on the floors in Lahore today.

The celebrated actor returns to direction after a long hiatus with this film, and feted the occasion with a small do, where his mother, the prolific actress Neelo performed Arth 2's 'first clap' of the film slate.

565ebe0a0b2d5.jpg
Shaan's mother, the prolific actress Neelo, inaugurated Arth 2's shooting - Publicity photo

The occasion also coincides with Shaan's 25 years in cinema, so a cake celebrated the same:

565ebd90ad8fb.jpg
A beaming Shaan set to kick off Arth 2's shooting - Publicity photo

Shaan takes both directorial and writing credits for Arth 2, which is being produced by AAA Motion Pictures, Hkc Entertainment and 5th Element. The film's music will be composed by Sahir Ali Bagga.

New Ho Mann Jahaan poster shows the cast's silly side

Mahira Khan is set to unleash her karate skills, while Shehreyar has an unamused Adeel in a necklock!

567cfec9250b2.jpg

The wait for the first film of 2016 nears its end, as only six days remain till the release of Asim Raza's Ho Mann Jahaan.

The film's new poster was revealed today, and it shows the cast's – Mahira Khan, Adeel Husain, Shehreyar Munawar Siddiqui and Sonya Jehan – sillier side.

Mahira Khan is set to unleash her karate skills on someone, while Shehreyar has an unamused Adeel in a necklock. Sonya Jehan, on the other hand, seems entertained by their antics.

What kind of film can we expect Ho Mann Jahaan to be? Director Asim Raza promised "subtle substance" in a recent chat with Images.

"Ho Mann Jahaan is a story that’s very relevant not just to the youth, but different generations and society in general. Anyone could relate to it, because the film is not about a person or character," he said.

The film stars Mahira, Shehreyar and Adeel as trio of friends who navigate through college life and the real world in pursuit of their passion to become musicians. The film releases on January 1.

There's no item number in Ho Mann Jahaan, affirms Sheheryar Munawar

The young star gets candid about maybe saying bye to TV for good, Bollywood and his equation with Sonya Jehan

56839cd2153a8.jpg
The young star gets candid about possibly saying bye to television for good, Bollywood and his equation with Sonya Jehan.

Wearing a paisley denim button down on slim-fit denim jeans and taking a deep drag of his cigarette, Sheheryar Munawar looks like he's had a chance to sit down after several hours of being on his feet.

"You don't mind, do you?" he asks sheepishly before he continues profusely apologizing for making me wait for 20 minutes.

Even if I did, it would be hard for anyone with a pulse to say no to that cheeky smile, something he seems to be completely oblivious to.

The budding star will be making his big screen debut this weekend with Ho Mann Jahaan, a musically inclined coming of age story chronicling watershed events in the lives of three young adults: Manizeh (Mahira Khan), Nadir (Adeel Hussain) and Arhaan (Shehreyar Munawar). Not only is he acting in the film, he's also a co-producer.

As his highly-awaited flick inches closer to its release date, I quizzed him about how tough it was juggling the two responsibilities.

Without even pausing to think about it, he starts off: "I'm a workaholic so I relished it! That being said, it wasn't a walk in the park. As a producer, you're married to the project for a year, maybe more. You're not in and out, like an actor. You work 12 hours a day, every day; the project is your life."

"We wanted to streamline the process of making movies, in terms of creating benchmarks regarding how people involved in the film-making process are treated. We are very serious about our work," he divulges, while knocking on wood.

5662b173b7c39.jpg
The entire cast was involved in the movie-making process, affirmed the actor turned producer. —Photo courtesy: Ho Mann Jahaan Official Facebook page

As a producer, many other decisions fell on his shoulders, such as the one where he got to decide whether the movie would have an item number.

"There's no item number in Ho Mann Jahaan because the plot simply doesn't call for one. If it was a period drama like Umrao Jaan or something and the script demanded it, I would have been on board but HMJ is an extremely grounded movie. Have you ever been to a place where you've seen an item number in real life?"

Of Sonya Jehan's role in the film he says: "Sonya comes in the form of a guide and a mentor to little, lost Arhaan, who's just a sucker for pretty ladies. Whether that's platonic or romantic, people will just have to wait to see."
When I shake my head to convey no as an answer, he continues, "No, right? Neither have I. The idea is to make things relatable for you and I, the average person. What we all have probably witnessed are some wicked mehndi dances so yeah, we have a mehndi number."

566fa7f0e7efb.jpg
From L-R: Sheheryar, Mahira and Adeel shake it to Shakar Wandaan —Photo courtesy: Ho Mann Jahaan Official Facebook page

566fb0de2cfe3.jpg
Oh hey there, Hamza Ali Abbasi!

Does all that ambition have the talent to go with it?
With people questioning whether he has the acting chops to play roles other than ones of men belonging to the elite bracket of the population, Sheheryar was ready to take on a challenge.

"Initially, Adeel was going to be playing my character, who belongs to a financially modest family and I was going to be playing Nadir, who is from the upper echelons of society -- that's how Asim had build the characters, based off of our real personalities but we didn't want to play it safe. Each of us have been comfortable playing those roles so we decided to switch things up. Asim had to rework the entire script, the characters had to be tweaked to match our personalities."

Preparing for the role of Arhaan was more work than anticipated, admits the actor.

"I wasn't worried about the acting bit; however, I had to prepare for the role extensively for 3-4 months. I learnt how to play the guitar, ride a bike, work on my pronunciation and enunciation because Arhaan comes from a middle-class upbringing so I worked on the nitty gritty details, like saying in-ter-est instead of interest."

5662ae2fe9e74.jpg
Sheheryar had to learn how to play the guitar among other things for his role as Arhaan

The buzz surrounding his character is strong but it's not nearly as strong as the buzz surrounding the sparks that viewers spotted between him and the older Sonya Jehan in the trailer.

5662ab49249b2.jpg
Sonya Jehan makes her debut in Pakistani cinema with HMJ —Photo courtesy: Ho Mann Jahaan Official Facebook page

I try to probe him for more information but he's a pro at keeping mum.

"Give me Rs. 700 on 1 January and I'll tell you then," he laughs, knocking on wood yet again.

"All I'm going to say is that Sonya comes in the form of a guide and a mentor to little, lost Arhaan, who's just a sucker for pretty ladies. Whether that's platonic or romantic, people will just have to wait to see that."

Speaking of mentors...
A little birdie told us that Sheheryar's real dad took on the role of his on-screen father in the movie.

Recalling the experience, he admits it was a "bit of a nightmare": "My character is a hot-headed, impulsive bad boy and in reality, my dad and I have a very nice relationship, we're like friends. However, he's still an ex-military man so he has instilled that discipline in us so I would NEVER speak to him in the way Arhaan does so yeah, in that sense, it was a scary and interesting experience."

566fae2d55d3a.jpg
Sheheryar on 'Good Morning Pakistan' with his father —Photo courtesy: Ho Mann Jahaan Official Facebook page

Is the acting flair genetic?

"There are scenes where I worried he's stolen my limelight! He's very artistically gifted!" says Sheheryar.

Arif Lohar to make film on Alam Lohar

1044973-image-1455198674-381-640x480.JPG

Arif said the film will be made in accordance with current industry standards. PHOTO: FILE

LAHORE:
Renowned folk singer Arif Lohar has decided to make a film on his father, the folk icon Alam Lohar. The project has already been set into motion with work on initial paperwork currently under way. While Arif finalises the script, his team is conducting interviews of those who spent time with his father. The research will feed both the biopic and an accompanying documentary film that will be aired across television channels.

Alam started his singing career from the Aach Goach village near Gujrat. While his family were known blacksmiths of the area, Alam made the very iron work his identity by using the chimta as an instrument. His Punjabi was crisp and his tone was inimitable. Alam’s melodious voice soon echoed across the region as he popularised hymns like Jugni and hundreds of other Sufi kalams. Releasing hundreds of studio albums throughout his career, Alam reinvented the Punjabi folk genre and came to be known as one its most important figureheads in recent times.

Talking to The Express Tribune, Arif said, “My father brought honour to this country and it is a fact that even the new generation is a fan of his work.” He disclosed that the idea of making a film on his father had long been at the back of his head. “I think now is the right time to go ahead with the project. Film is a very powerful medium to put your message across and the younger audiences should be made aware of those who served the country before them … I have decided to do that for my father.”

Arif feels there’s a lot that needs to be told about the legendary singer. “I have focused all my energies towards this one project. I have been travelling quite a lot, meeting lots of people to retain authenticity in the film,” he added. The Coke Studio star said he has himself taken charge of the director’s chair and is even playing a titular character. “His music will be part of the film’s soundtrack. I have a lot of ideas on my mind right now and I will begin to implement them one after another.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom