10645278_803332503039912_6992639231293104975_n-jpg.46319
10615371_803332519706577_6566311032217285402_n-jpg.46320
10171242_803332549706574_7170141478040857464_n-jpg.46321
10556359_803332606373235_6111438645540405186_n-jpg.46322
10653617_803332609706568_6753439339490346621_n-jpg.46323
10626809_803332693039893_3833841369154579674_n-jpg.46325
10650062_803332716373224_4245545226463802567_n-jpg.46326
10612720_803332756373220_4390545413959308003_n-jpg.46328

Are their any Pakistani horror flicks? If anyone can recommend some, that would be great. I have seen Zibakhana, thou it was utterly trash, but i still watched it till the end.

Call for Oscar submissions from Pakistan
By Our Correspondent
Published: July 15, 2015
921426-dukhtarcopy-1436973707-109-640x480.jpg

Last year, the committee had selected Afia Nathaniel’s film Dukhtar as the official entry. PHOTO: PUBLICITY

KARACHI: The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee has invited local filmmakers to submit the movies for contention in the category of ‘Foreign Language Film Award’ for the 88th Academy Awards. According to a press release the deadline for submission of the submission is August 25, 2015m 5:00 PM (PST).

Last year the committee had selected Afia Nathaniel’s film, Dukhtar, as Pakistan’s official entry to the Academy Awards.

The committee would comprise of notable media personalities from the country. Academy and Emmy-award winning documentary filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy would be chairing the committee. Also part of the committee are music producer Rohail Hyatt, fashion designer Maheen Khan, actor Aamina Sheikh, filmmaker-distributor Satish Anand, author Daniyal Mueenuddin and internationally-renowned actors Faran Tahir and Alyy Khan.

Rounding off the committee are filmmakers Afia Nathaniel and Mazhar Zaidi both of whose films — Dukhtar and Zinda Bhaag respectively — have been selected by the Academy as Pakistan’s official entry to the Oscars on previous occasions.

A major eligibility criteria for the film is that, “The motion picture must be first released in the country submitting it no earlier than 1st October, 2014, and no later than 30th September, 2015, and be first publicly exhibited for at least seven consecutive days in a commercial motion picture theater for the profit of the producer and exhibitor.”

The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee will announce its nomination for award consideration on September 10, 2015.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 16th, 2015.

Like Life & Style on Facebook,follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

It's official: Ho Mann Jahaan will not be an Eid-ul-Azha release

55bb4f7ea2fc7.gif

Moviegoers will now catch Mahira Khan, Shehreyar Siddiqui and Adeel Husain in Ho Mann Jahaan near the end of the year — Publicity photo

Eid-ul-Azha was expected to be just as much a cinematic feast as Eid-ul-Fitr, but one major treat has pulled out of the box office race.

"Yes, Ho Mann Jahaan is not releasing on Eid-ul-Azha," said the source, "the reason being that Ye Jawani Phir Nahi Aani is slated to release at that time. As a company, we decided to not go head-to-head with another local production. Pakistan makes few films every year, so we've done this not only in the interest of both our film and Ye Jawani, but also the industry at large."

The film has now been pushed beyond the month of Moharram, which ends in mid-November this year. Dr. Hassan Waqas Rana's Yalghaar is also expected to release around that time, as its latest trailer indicated a 2015 release date for the film.

"We'll coordinate dates with any other film releasing post-Muharram," the source added, "We won't postpone Ho Mann Jahaan's release beyond 2015. Our second project is already lined up, so it's important to release it this year."

Ho Mann Jahaan is a coming-of-age drama, starring Mahira Khan, Shereyar Munawar Siddiqui and Adeel Hussain as college kids with musical dreams, and also features an ensemble supporting cast that includes Sonya Jehan, Bushra Ansari, Arshad Mehmood and Nimra Bucha, among others.

The film's trailer is expected to release in early September.

Awesome films coming up good work. Pakistani films are now doing a good business mashallah she. Have heard the news that the film bin roye have done the business of 37 crore in just 14 days worldwide. That's awesome.

The movie bin roye is surely going to break the record of movie waar which had done 40 crore business.

guts i have seen wrong number and karachi to lahore...........both are awesome ,,,,,,,,,,i enjoyed every bit of it...........i personally liked karachi to lahore better than wrong number

must watch these films........they are certainly better than usual bollywood shit........support your cinema even if u want to see indian film watch a pirated copy dont suport indian cinema in pakistan

Must watch: Literary genius Manto comes to life in much-awaited biopic

55c4a111e7651.png

Sarmad Khoosat as Manto, and Sania Saeed as his wife, Safia — Publicity photo

He may not be on every home’s bookshelf, but Manto is making his way to the everyman.

In cinemas on September 11 and on TV at a later, unspecified date, Sarmad Sultan Khoosat’s Manto is beyond a biopic. Written by director/playwright Shahid Nadeem, the film dramatises the latter part of the writer’s life, imagines his writing process and goes on to flesh out some of his short stories, including the likes of Thanda Gosht, License and Hatak. In a series of four music videos, glimpses of this gargantuan project were shown as 'first look' of the film at yesterday's launch event in Karachi and were released online last night.

A musical introduction to Manto
In the first video, scenes from Manto’s stories are punctuated with snatches of the writer’s personal strife, which are made more poignant by Ali Sethi’s rendition of Ghalib ghazal ‘Aah Ko Chahiye’.

Sarmad Khoosat cast himself as the tortured writer, doubling the difficulty of the task he had undertaken. He minces no words in explaining his decision.

55c4a156a76a9.png

"I think there’s a very selfish reason behind it," he said plainly, "I feel I have a connection with the legendary man and his work."

Sarmad continued, "[Playing Manto] is not just about acting, it’s about anyone who can possibly have a connection with him. I’m sure a lot of people read Manto, but it’s so based on interpretation, that somebody needs to have that connect, so that the interpretation would work. Of course you can not be copying everything that he did; there’s no documented research available on that. But I thought, if nothing else, I believe in him, and that belief does matter. But I’d stick to the first reason, that it was a very selfish decision. I wanted to do it."

To envision Manto's writing process, Nimra Bucha's character as Manto's alterego or muse was written into the script.

55c4a1978de9b.png

“I think Sarmad thinks I’m very weird, so he wanted me to do something very weird in the film," Bucha said with a laugh, when asked about her character, "We work very well together, we’re very good friends, so this role was a lot about mirroring, We exchanged personas in the film, swapped clothes for certain scenes. I’m not real, yet I’m very real. This weird dimension that our relationship brings to the film was very important to be able to imagine Manto as writer. I’m neither story nor author, somewhere in between."

To complete the picture of Manto's personal life, Sania Saeed plays Manto's wife, Safia, Saba Qamar plays Noorjehan and Arjumand Rahim plays a dancer close to the writer in the film.

Manto's stories in song
The other music videos are more story-specific, and two pay further tribute to other poets of the subcontinent.

Meesha Shafi's rendition of Shiv Kumar Batalvi's 'Mehram Dilaan De Mahi’ serves as aural backdrop of Thanda Gosht, which stars Shamoon Abbasi and Yusra Rizvi as Ishar Singh and Kalvant Kaur.

Javed Bashir lends vocals to Majeed Amjad's poetic tribute to Manto, 'Kaun Hai Ye Gustakh'. This video gives shape to Mahira Khan's in-character portrait as monkey master, recently gone viral:

Mohammed Hanif wrote the lyrics of a lilting duet, ‘Kia Hoga’, featuring Zeb Bangash and Ali Sethi. Mahira is seen returning to her demure signature in this one:

Playing Manto's characters
The film has amassed a star cast that also includes Hina Bayat, Savera Nadeem, Nadia Afghan, Adnan Jaffer and Irfan Khoosat as various characters of Manto's. Some of them shared their experience and hopes for the film with Dawn.com.

55c490f280ed3.png

"I love Sarmad as a director and would never say no to him. But when he named the short story that he wanted me to act in, my heart stopped. It's probably one of his most sensuous stories and one of the most controversial pieces he has written. He spent a lot of time in jail because of it. That story changed his life," said Hina Bayat.

55c490f3a762f.png

"I’m a little apprehensive, because one always is, you never know how you peform, how it has been filmed, but Sarmad having filmed it, and my father having written it, I’m quite conifdent that the film will be high-quality and well-received," shared Savera Nadeem.

55c490f274e65.png

"Manto is the truth. A lot of people havent read Manto, so I just hope people understand this film the way it’s meant to be. There are lots of films coming out, so I’m just hoping it gets the kind of appreciation it deserves," said Nadia Afghan.

Back
Top Bottom