What's new

Twitter Q&A on JF-17 Thunder Program with Horus & Oscar

I have a question - please answer:

If not for major/significant structural/engine change (compared to Block 2 or B variant), what possible reason is there for CAC/PAC to take so much longer to produce a single Block 3?

Hi,

Due to availability of certain technologies---the production of the JF17 was slowed down so that it could be a part of the package of the new aircraft rather than modifications on a later date.

Also---getting flight data from the 80 aircrafts in service---a few physical modifications were envisaged as well---.

NOTE: This is just my own viewpoint, not based on any sources.

The various parts had to be designed, tested, and then assembly lines for their manufacturing needed to be setup. Take the AESA radar. We found only a few months ago about it. It's only the hardware that has been created. The assembly line for this hardware needs to be setup, and the software will take a lot of effort as well. Then, the HMD/S available on the market are all of Israeli origin. Where do you get that from? How do you procure a reliable HOBS missile? The easy things were structural changes, and the B version is a model for what Block 3 will look like. They could be done in China/Pakistan and you can see the result flying already.
Not correct. There are several available including Cobra which is joint SA/Saab - Denel optronics.

Not correct. There are several available including Cobra which is joint SA/Saab - Denel optronics.

Is it actually production ready today? I have been following @Bilal Khan (Quwa) and I surmised this from his writings. We are unable to get HMD/S and fifth gen WVRs. Denel has A-Darter but what about production ready HMD/S?

OK Mr. Google says your contribution is in helmet tracking system. There are other players involved. Is it available to us for buying?

Is it actually production ready today? I have been following @Bilal Khan (Quwa) and I surmised this from his writings. We are unable to get HMD/S and fifth gen WVRs. Denel has A-Darter but what about production ready HMD/S?

OK Mr. Google says your contribution is in helmet tracking system. There are other players involved. Is it available to us for buying?
it is there for buying noone came to ask for it

Just a little nugget of info, During aerial exercises b/w Chinese SU-27 Flanker and Thai Gripen, Gripen was able to score BVR hit against SU-27 and SU-27 easily beat Gripen in WVR and dogfighting mock combat.

If you are pitting JF-17 against SU-30, make sure JF-17 shot down SU-30 in BVR arena ASAP. IF SU-30 Penetrates WVR or comes in a dog fighting with JF-17. JF-17 Is done.

Your details are being shared with all western world air forces plus paf so they do not make the mistake

Next red flag [emoji466]️ will be based on this info
;)

Just kidding , on the lighter side

Complete Q & A (Twitter) session on JF-17 Thunder with Defencepk’s in-house Expert

Date: 19-08-2017

Q 18: There were reports regarding RD-93 engine that PAF is not satisfied with its performance and will replace the engine most probably with WS-13?

A: There's no need to change the engine, we have 500 RD-93s on order.

Q 38: Will Block-3 use the same RD-93 engine?

A: Most likely.

Q 42: what is your opinion on rumors of a new engine for JF block III

A: Unlikely

Q 56: Will JF 17 get AESA radar & helmet mounted targeting?

A: Block-3 will introduce AESA & Helmet Mounted Targeting. These might also end up being applied towards the Block-2 fleet as an upgrade.

Q 62: The intense smoke from older blocks was very obvious from the engine. Block 3 has taken care of that?

A: Smoke due to technically older design of RD-93, current contract for 100 engines with Russia complete- follow up will decide
--------------------------------------------------

Q18/38/42/62 - This '500' deal was 'in the air' around 2005 with lots of starts&stops. I first heard it @ CFTE and members were unsure of its future. If russian are committed now as the sources are suggesting, then thats great. I am in favour of collaborating with Russians. They are helpful guys.
Q56 - this is known.

Q 34: How will we tackle jet like Rafael?

A:
By better pilot training.

Q 36: Can JF-17 Thunder intercept an Indian Rafael?

A:
Yes.

Q 39: Will Block-3 of JF-17 be able to compete with Indian Rafael?

A: Neck to Neck.

What seriously ?????? :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:
:drag::drag::drag:

Ah, an attempt at being witty. Very impressive, Mr. "Analyst". Let me rephrase it to you in simple English — without any complex metaphors: "How do we know that we can trust this person's analysis?"

Your excellent analysing skills may not have aided you in understanding the reason I asked a question in this so abhorrently offensive manner; have you seen the garbage that PDF is filled with? I mean, I'm all for patriotism but when we have so-called "analysts" residing in their gaaons claiming that JF 17s can take on anything in the IAFs arsenal without providing any clear evidence, I begin to question their credibility.

Care to explain to me why we can trust this analyst?

Indeed, it is amusing to raise a brow once in a while.
It's better for national morale to keep the public in this bubble.

It's better for national morale to keep the public in this bubble.
Delusion does not and will not work in our favour.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that our platforms are not capable of providing a satisfactionary level of defence as well as offensive capabilities; I just want to know why we should trust this person's analysis. I apologise for the rude manner in which I previously asked this question.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that our platforms are not capable of providing a satisfactionary level of defence as well as offensive capabilities; I just want to know why we should trust this person's analysis. I apologise for the rude manner in which I previously asked this question.

There is a certain level of truth in everything mentioned in the interview. Technically speaking. Meanwhile, PAF is doing everything in its power to bridge gaps where needed.

it is there for buying noone came to ask for it
Pakistan had tested something derived from or related to the Cobra (see image), but after Denel Optronics' absorption by Carl Zeiss Optronics and its absorption by Airbus DS, that avenue basically ended. Airbus DS had fully dropped the ball on the entire optronics front and failed to release new marketable products, leaving the PAF to push the inclusion of HMD/S from Block-I to the Block-II and (after the collapse of the Thales deal) Block-III.

Thankfully, Airbus DS spun off its Optronics and Electronics divisions into Hensoldt, and Hensoldt Optronics South Africa (HOSA) is intent on growing in the optronics space. Interestingly, HOSA is supplying the periscopes and optronic masts for Pakistan's Agosta 90B submarines. So there may be hope yet if HOSA decides to use its R&D and expertise to develop a new HMD/S system.

Much of what has been said in the interview is 'good analysis' and very close to the actual developments.
Regarding who can you trust for such info then I don't know.
Nobody knows what's actually the next big thing.Heck even PAF officials,certainly many of them,are quite unsure about the future.
I have recently met officers who were hell bent on making a fool of themselves infront of me,perhaps they didnt know who I was.Two of them were specially funny.One said that there are absolutely no plans to retire F7PGs and Mirages.The other was hell bent on insisting that there absolutely no serious plans for thunder's block 3.And both of them are well inside the setup with higher ranks.
Either they are fools themselves or they think that others are stupid.
So everybody who seems to be a reliable source isn't one always.That being said,there are many senior members on this forum who almost always have reliable info through sources or experience.

How can we be sure that this is reliable information and the analysis is not just wet-dreams?

EDIT: Apologies for the rude manner in which I asked this question. Let me rephrase it: "Can you please explain why we should trust this analyst?"
Thank you for editing the post. Both Hodor and Oscar have contributed towards the knowledge base of this forum. As such you can probably say it relates to information gained from conversations with PAF people and things which they have been allowed to put on the net. You need to know what people have been writing to know whether to believe them or not.
Since you have apologized for your post allow me to apologize for mine.
A

Its long, i will read it later. I have come back after a long drive through euro tunnel.
If this comes from a source inside PAF, you should accept that. A lot has changed since i left in 2005.
I will await a detailed response from you. Your posts are illuminating and bring aspects to the fore whichthe forum has not had before even though we have had senior AF retired people as members in the past and at present as well.
A

I am sorry to say that the answers to Q8 and Q77 are totally ridiculous.
Or should I say we're feeding the public what they want to hear.
Apart from that,a great info pool for public.
if you have a better explanation please contribute. criticism without explanation and an alternative response/narrative is never constructive.
A

Ah, an attempt at being witty. Very impressive, Mr. "Analyst". Let me rephrase it to you in simple English — without any complex metaphors: "How do we know that we can trust this person's analysis?"

Your excellent analysing skills may not have aided you in understanding the reason I asked a question in this so abhorrently offensive manner; have you seen the garbage that PDF is filled with? I mean, I'm all for patriotism but when we have so-called "analysts" residing in their gaaons claiming that JF 17s can take on anything in the IAFs arsenal without providing any clear evidence, I begin to question their credibility.

Care to explain to me why we can trust this analyst?

Indeed, it is amusing to raise a brow once in a while.
I am a simple old man and dont claim to be anything more than that.You have assumed more than What is there so the fault is yours not mine. However you have edited your post and I have apologized for mine. Do we need to carry on? Shall we move on? The rest of your post I have responded to.
A

Back
Top Bottom