What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

LHD project officially commenced. First payment are done ! Project aims to construct at least 1 LHD !

Juan-Carlos-1-class-LHD.jpg
AT LEAST ONE!!!

ARES shipyard is becoming a true contender to YONCA-ONUK

ARES 80 SAT SOF Support & Fast Attack Craft

X-45, their concept for a Multi-Role SWATH
Mate unfortunately design of Swath ( the 2nd ) isnt made by a Turkish. Its done by William Brehelin , who joined to Ares for 2 years to enhance their design ability By DCNS of France. He also contributed to Patrol boat /FIC /FAC series of Ares.

Against this, Yonca-Onuk has its own designers , eventhough they need a external help they still get it done by Turkish people.

@cabatli_53

Which Engine are used in those Vessels ?
4x Diesel engines ,probably by MTU .

MTU - Turkish Standart. Our technicians gained much experience on them. I remember the micro fractures in MEKO MTU engine bodies.
Was that temperature or manufacture caused?

@isoo

MTU - Turkish Standart. Our technicians gained much experience on them. I remember the micro fractures in MEKO MTU engine bodies.
Was that temperature or manufacture caused?

@isoo
If DzKK purchases an engine, they apply their procedure to manufacture it in Turkey , by parts delivered from MTU and then Send to MTU test facility in Turkey to observe it running weeks in tests.

Just consider that MTU presents the best Power/Volume fraction it would mean the pressure and temperature inside the enginer beyond what we can imagine. They can only assure the customer enginer will run flawless till overhaul with a possibility of 95%.

Micro fracture ? What do you mean by that ? Cracks appear almost in all metal and cyclic loaded parts and they are not destructive until a level.

If its micro cracks , it depends on where does it appear . As long as its replacable parts, Which are already seen to led crack initiation, so they have a running time- life limit to replaced ; thats fine. Additionally a micro-fracture to be observed by eyes would led a blow up in and operating engine (If its on body of the engine where combustion occurs).

It wasnt a major problem i guess, it might be reason i have never heard of it. I am pretty sure they scan each part of engine for possible crack initating issues.

It is usually manufacture caused and combined with temporary overloading. The ships might ve faced fluctuating power output from engines, especially in excercises the ship and crew forced to top performance.

Last edited:
@isoo

It was said they had heat problems and engine block micro fractures (- cooling fluid channels ?).
CODAD propulsion of first delivered MEKOs.

MTU accused Turkish Navy not to maintain as in the maintenance handbook.

Yavuz / Barbaros Class Frigate

CODAD propulsion method with 4 MTU 20V Diesel engines, that created major maintenance problems,

@isoo

It was said they had heat problems and engine block micro fractures (- cooling fluid channels ?).
CODAD propulsion of first delivered MEKOs.

MTU accused Turkish Navy not to maintain as in the maintenance handbook.

Yavuz / Barbaros Class Frigate

CODAD propulsion method with 4 MTU 20V Diesel engines, that created major maintenance problems,
There are many designs settled with 4 diesels, its really not a matter. They didnt further explained what is "major" maintenance problems but let me expand it, its due to location of engines, gives hardships in major overhauls which is conducted like once in 5 year.

I would not accept this accusation on DzKK as if it was due to maintenance mistakes, DzKK is quite sensitive on maintenance they never skip a day or over-use a part. When it comes to ability of staff , i already said their procedure is to built engine by themselves. So noone still gives a clue about what was the error, or not-quoted accusation by MTU (which i dont believe ). MTU is quite systematic and they would assist in any mistake free on charge ,quite experienced on service and after-sale treatment. I already said such things may happen in all engines, remember gas turbines running LCS also got problems in the engine, unpredicted things may happen and companies or operators are aware of it.

I agree to you and wrote that in my first message,
I remembered to have heard some problems at the beginning and could only find the link.

Quote:
"MTU - Turkish Standart. Our technicians gained much experience on them".

Maybe it was as you wrote "fluctuating power output". I am not engine expert, I can only compare with car engine security systems, that an engine runs in "emergency mode", if an sensors monitors an unexpected "out of parameter" condition.

But Germans are also not perfect. Remember the balance problem of Greece subs, Israeli subs AIP- Power Cells failure and our Submarine delay almost 5 years, cause they send false "yard equipment" and some other complaints of customers.

Today’s Special: Turkey Subs

Thanks.

Last edited:
The 4th ada class has steel cut

The 1st Type 214 SSK also started

Anyone know status of second LST ?

Interesting

So second LST is 8 months behind 1st ?

So this means steel for second should have been cut around start of this year? As 1st was May 2014

Any news of that or official confirmation

As USA is backing out from Turkey. So, any possibility of Turkey selling out all the US stuff present in its Navy?

Back
Top Bottom