What's new

The Wehrmacht In Pictures: A Look At One of History's Legendary Fighting Force

It is very long list and I myself have forgotten many specific names (from having watched over many many years).

Let me start you off with the absolute needed viewing (if you havent):

For world war 1: "The Great War" (1964)

For World war 2: "The World at War" (its series spiritual, emotional successor) and my all time gold standard (1973)

26 episodes each I believe (all on the playlists on youtube I have given)

I don't think I felt so heart-wrenched from any other TV documentary series as "the world at war" and I have not brought myself to watch it in total again. So watch at your discretion and always remember what war can really mean on the ground instead of in front of your screen!

Why I suggest these two above all is that they have much footage of interviews with actual people that fought in the wars.....for WW1 that is exceedingly rare now...and WW2 may not be many years left.

From these documentaries you can then tell me which parts/segments you are most intrigued by and then I can refer you to more specific ones that focus more on those subjects.

In a way these are both very well presented but detailed "menus" for you to pick your specific meal from.

@Vergennes @Taygibay @Joe Shearer @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy

Your thoughts?

@waz can we sticky this thread please? :D
I watched one entirely On Battle of Al Alamein (Dont remember its name) It was Biased towards British. Watched some on Eastern Front But these had some Historical inaccuracies.
Other Than That I watched Documentries of Napoleonic Wars( Almost all of them Biased) Glorifying the Britsih thats why i asked as it would be nice to get an unbiased view.
Secondly are there any Documentaries about British Campaign In Subcontinent. Anglo Myore, War of independence , Anglo Sikh Wars. Especially About Anglo Sikh Wars As I Am Chattah and we were Sikhs back then. Been to some of places where some of these Battles were fought. Unfortunately Most of these places are no more. So i would be grateful if u could help me out on this one too.

Time for some more Bismarck and Scharnhorst :smitten:

Bismarck:
Firing it's guns on Prince of Wales
Bismarck_firing_on_HMS_Prince_of_Wales_2.jpg

Bismarck_firing_on_HMS_Prince_of_Wales.jpg

Scharnhorst:
Scharnhorst_battleship.jpg
Scharnhorst_german_battleship.jpg

Check out the playlists of this channel too!
You Should Play Steel Ocean and Captain Bismark and Scharnhost :)

I watched one entirely On Battle of Al Alamein (Dont remember its name) It was Biased towards British. Watched some on Eastern Front But these had some Historical inaccuracies.

The Russian one i posted earlier is very good for eastern front from beginning to end. I dont think there was one weak episode...quite rare.

The generals at war series was not bad (their format is interesting...focusing on the generals specific tactics and strategies)....here is their el-alamein one:

ROOOMMMMEEELLLL....one of my favourite generals ever :)

Other Than That I watched Documentries of Napoleonic Wars( Almost all of them Biased) Glorifying the Britsih thats why i asked as it would be nice to get an unbiased view.

For Napoleon I mostly read books I am afraid, I find the documentaries to be somewhat lacking overall.

But two that stuck out that I watched in the last few years were the PBS one:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvpFenv-nFqLhfAm1JjmcinYMFmMCp23v

(4 part series)

and also the one by history channel (esp since it really illustrated just how bad of a strategic mistake Spain was for Napoleon in the long run:

(6 episodes in total, you can search the other 5 if you like this 1st one)

Secondly are there any Documentaries about British Campaign In Subcontinent. Anglo Myore, War of independence , Anglo Sikh Wars. Especially About Anglo Sikh Wars As I Am Chattah and we were Sikhs back then. Been to some of places where some of these Battles were fought. Unfortunately Most of these places are no more. So i would be grateful if u could help me out on this one too.

The documentaries I have come across are not that great and its often much better to pick up a book on the subject instead.

These subcontinent based wars do not have the same exposure as the rest in western media unfortunately (who have the best chance of making a properly funded and organised documentary series). Local desi media prefers movie and drama format instead....so not much luck on that front either.

Maybe with time as GDP improves in the area, there will be a good proper documentary on all of this either locally or externally as interest in subcontinent war history increases.

You Should Play Steel Ocean and Captain Bismark and Scharnhost :)
Have you heard of World of Warships? it's an MMO they've recently introduced German Battleships in the game and i am thinking of grinding Ze Bismarck :D
The generals at war series was not bad (their format is interesting...focusing on the generals specific tactics and strategies)....here is their el-alamein one:
Ah i have watched their doc on Battle of Stalingrad i like the way they represent battles but still imo nothing beats soviet storm in terms of music, CGI, and those movements they show on Map.

Ah i have watched their doc on Battle of Stalingrad i like the way they represent battles but still imo nothing beats soviet storm in terms of music, CGI, and those movements they show on Map.

Yes Soviet Storm is the best eastern theatre documentary I think (I mean world at war episodes that focused on the eastern front were really excellent too but thats like comparing apples and oranges given the time periods and formats in question).

But there was no soviet storm around when generals at war came out (I remember when they first started appearing on history channel and absolutely enjoyed them for the most part - I was only a teenager and the whole concept of what they did was fresh and appealing to me).

So generals at war is still a worthy one I feel for people to watch overall if they havent seen it and check if they like that format

Yes Soviet Storm is the best eastern theatre documentary I think (I mean world at war episodes that focused on the eastern front were really excellent too but thats like comparing apples and oranges given the time periods and formats in question).

But there was no soviet storm around when generals at war came out (I remember when they first started appearing on history channel and absolutely enjoyed them for the most part - I was only a teenager and the whole concept of what they did was fresh and appealing to me).

So generals at war is still a worthy one I feel for people to watch overall if they havent seen it and check if they like that format
True that mate and if any of yur relatives have been in the army read colonel le landings book of military 100 it consists of all influential leaders of all time and also read about the first crusade there is a book available in every **** book store the first crusade is quite interesting and for Napoleon read military 100

Have you heard of World of Warships? it's an MMO they've recently introduced German Battleships in the game and i am thinking of grinding Ze Bismarck :D

Yes I have Played It ANd Believe me Its Pure Crap.
Steel Ocean is Far Far Better. Submarines are Playable and Far more Fun. They Are The Dread Of BattleShips and AirCraft carriers. So Far The Japenese Have More Ships Followed By British( After Recent Update they Got A whole New Addition BB line) Then AMericans, and Germans. There is France , Italy ANd China too but with 1 or 2 ships. They will add more in Time.
Also We have Greater Control Over our Ships THAN WOW. Makes it more Realistic.
So Far British Excels With Battleships. Germans With Submarines. American And Japenese with Destroyers, Light Cruisers , Heavy Cruisers And Aircraft Carriers.
Germans Have No Destroyers. Hopefully they will add some.

200mm of frontal armor and armed with a very powerful accurate gun but way too heavy and slow for blitzkrieg but still they knocked out over 400 something armored vehicles iirc and how many were produced 90? that still is an impressive number
Ferdinand_Sdkfz_184.jpg

Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653
Elefant_Schwere_Panzerjager_Abteilung_653_4.jpg

oh btw @Nilgiri our thread is finally sticky now thanks to waz :cheers:

200mm of frontal armor and armed with a very powerful accurate gun but way too heavy and slow for blitzkrieg but still they knocked out over 400 something armored vehicles iirc and how many were produced 90? that still is an impressive number
Ferdinand_Sdkfz_184.jpg

Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653
Elefant_Schwere_Panzerjager_Abteilung_653_4.jpg

oh btw @Nilgiri our thread is finally sticky now thanks to waz :cheers:

Knew he would pull through.....my favourite moderator in this whole forum @waz

Here's the RPG's grand daddy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom