What's new

The typical Chinese adult is now richer than the typical European adult, a new wealth report finds

onebyone

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
woman holding cash

The average Chinese citizen is now worth over $26,000.Catherine McQueen/Getty Images
  • Credit Suisse found China's median wealth outpaced Europe's in its 2021 Global Wealth Report.
  • The average Chinese citizen has a wealth of $26,752, around $60 more than the average European.
  • Chinese wealth has surged in the past two decades, with median wealth per adult growing more than eight-fold.
  • A major new report from investment banking and wealth management giant Credit Suisse has found that the average Chinese adult is now wealthier than the average European.

Although North America and Europe together account for 57% of total household wealth globally, China is squeezing out Europe in rankings of wealth per median adult.

Credit Suisse's annual Global Wealth Report, which was released this month, estimates the average wealth of households around the world.

It found that Chinese median wealth per adult, at $26,752, now outstrips Europe, where the average adult has a wealth of $26,690. The European figure takes into account the whole of the continent, which includes many less wealthy nations in its southern and eastern regions.

Median wealth in China was more than four times greater than in Russia, where median wealth was $6,379 in 2021.

China's average wealth, however, was still less than a third of the wealth of the median American ($93,271) — and only about 10% of the wealth of the median Belgian ($256,336).

Global wealth increased by 9.8% in 2021 compared to the year before, reaching a total $463.6 trillion.

"All regions contributed to the rise in global wealth, but North America and China dominated, with North America accounting for a little over half the global total and China adding another quarter," the report said.

Europe, Latin America, Africa and India account for only 11.1% of global wealth, which the report puts down to local currency depreciation against the dollar in those regions.

In Europe for instance, the euro reached parity with the dollar for the first time in 2022, while the pound has plunged to near four-decade lows.

China has squeezed out countries in Europe which previously dominated its rankings through its "exceptional rate of wealth growth."

China attained the top spot for fastest median wealth growth out of any region, rising more than eight-fold in the past two decades, growing from $3,111 in 2000 to $26,752 in 2021, Credit Suisse said.

Read the original article on Business Insider
  • https://finance.yahoo.com/news/typical-chinese-adult-now-richer-150636789.html

woman holding cash

The average Chinese citizen is now worth over $26,000. Catherine McQueen/Getty Images
  • Credit Suisse found China's median wealth outpaced Europe's in its 2021 Global Wealth Report.
  • The average Chinese citizen has a wealth of $26,752, around $60 more than the average European.
  • Chinese wealth has surged in the past two decades, with median wealth per adult growing more than eight-fold.

A major new report from investment banking and wealth management giant Credit Suisse has found that the average Chinese adult is now wealthier than the average European.

Although North America and Europe together account for 57% of total household wealth globally, China is squeezing out Europe in rankings of wealth per median adult.

Credit Suisse's annual Global Wealth Report, which was released this month, estimates the average wealth of households around the world.

It found that Chinese median wealth per adult, at $26,752, now outstrips Europe, where the average adult has a wealth of $26,690. The European figure takes into account the whole of the continent, which includes many less wealthy nations in its southern and eastern regions.

Median wealth in China was more than four times greater than in Russia, where median wealth was $6,379 in 2021.

China's average wealth, however, was still less than a third of the wealth of the median American ($93,271) — and only about 10% of the wealth of the median Belgian ($256,336).

Global wealth increased by 9.8% in 2021 compared to the year before, reaching a total $463.6 trillion.

"All regions contributed to the rise in global wealth, but North America and China dominated, with North America accounting for a little over half the global total and China adding another quarter," the report said.

Europe, Latin America, Africa and India account for only 11.1% of global wealth, which the report puts down to local currency depreciation against the dollar in those regions.

In Europe for instance, the euro reached parity with the dollar for the first time in 2022, while the pound has plunged to near four-decade lows.

China has squeezed out countries in Europe which previously dominated its rankings through its "exceptional rate of wealth growth."

China attained the top spot for fastest median wealth growth out of any region, rising more than eight-fold in the past two decades, growing from $3,111 in 2000 to $26,752 in 2021, Credit Suisse said.

I never thought European can be so poor.

I thought at least European in general is several times higher than Chinese, at least 2-5x.

But seeing how cheap the price is in China, I think in general Chinese life is more comfortable than European.

I thought at least European in general is several times higher than Chinese, at least 2-5x.

But seeing how cheap the price is in China, I think in general Chinese life is more comfortable than European.
All thanks to dumb European decades of blindly following US policy. No doubt US help whole EU progress from 70s to early 2000s but the last 20 years is decline of EU due to bad policy of European decision influence by American.

I love China, without China. We cannot enjoy alot of hobbies out of reach during my childhood times. Electronics are so affordable now. I still remember childhood times, things are dominate by Japanese electronic which good and usable one will always cost a bomb. Bicycle with decent spec can cost an arm or leg.

Now plenty of fanciful stuff, ebike, mountain bike , airsoft, electronic gadgets, computer are so affordable. And can easily satisfy my interest.

I’ve already suspected that the average Chinese’ net worth was higher than Europeans for a long time. Chinese people are very business minded, constantly save their money, buy assets and invest.

Europeans today lack ambition and are pretty simple minded in terms of their life goals. Most are happy to just have a rent controlled apartment, have a relaxing life and be able to just enjoy the simple pleasures in life with their healthcare taken care of and having extended vacations. And that’s the Northern Europeans, many young Southern Europeans are broke living with their parents with little prospects in life.

wealth.png

millionaires.png

US: Out of a population of 329Million people 24Million (7.4%) are millionaires.

Some notes
CountryWealth
UK$140,299
US$93,271
China$26,752
Russia$6,379
Indonesia$4,835
India$3,295

Last edited:
China also has the lowest inflation, in real GDP, China has been the world biggest for a long time.

It's mostly ex-Soviet block states in Eastern Europe that have always been poor...oh and that includes the Russians...poor as always (see their pathetic figures in the chart above in post #5).
wealth2.png

wealth3.png

Last edited:
China’s economy is already far larger than the US. At least by 25% or more. The current nominal gdp figures are a farce and a product of unlimited dollar printing.
China tries to hide its strength because US is still controlling world trading currency and some of key technologies, like semiconductor.

Dollar based metrics don't reflect real standard of living, with super high inflation, Americans and Europeans are struggling to get by.

Struggling is relative. Our median household income is $67,000. If people had to truly hunker down and give up silly things like their Netflix (74% of households), premium cable channel packages, and $47,000 SUV's struggling wouldn't be as bad.

Last edited:
Wealth standards in Europe and the EU are not consistent. The wealth standards of the EU and Western Europe are also inconsistent.

It is easy for us to win against Bulgaria, Romania and other countries, but it is also easy for Germany and Switzerland to win against us.

Back
Top Bottom