What's new

Featured The toughest of the tough: which role is the hardest in the armed forces?

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The toughest of the tough

Being a part of the inter-services, often jovially, we get into jest filled spirit of inter-services rivalry the army vs the air force vs the navy. It’s all in good spirit and the jokes are classic which I’m sorry but they cannot be shared with civilians and yes, this can be taken negatively but you need to be a part of the club to enjoy the perks.

It was once on such an evening that the conversation turned into something serious and my expertise was called in to solve the issue the question was: which job in the armed forces is the hardest. Each field officer debated endlessly but there was no conclusion but they all agreed that this was a question that should be answered. Therefore, I was called in to help settle the debate because of a work I’d done on similar lines a while back.

How do you measure toughness?

Reviewing the literature on the question it was decided that the following things were the dimensions of toughness:

- Physical stress of routine tasks required by the role

- Complexity of the tasks entailed by the role

- Cognitive load: how much does the role stress your brain

- Role dynamics: how much of it rules your life in general

We deliberated on these dimensions in as much detail as possible. We tried to be as empirical as possible and collected as much verifiable information as possible. Here are a few considerations that may have been in the reader’s mind.

The infantarian
pakarmy pdf.JPG

The brunt of the battle, facing bullets and grinders of strategy as well as masters of tactics; most infantry arms officers would spend much of their careers facing tough postings. The physical stress of the role is high; it’s not uncommon for the infantry officer to march with his men and live in hard field conditions. The complexity of the tasks involved are with regard to tactics and positioning of their platoons, company etc but the cognitive load in terms of handling high technical machinery is quite low. As far as role dynamics are concerned then officers are rotated after a hard posting and can get leaves until and unless there are extremely hard circumstances.

The pilot
pafpdf.JPG

The maverick who risks himself with every flight; the physical stress of the role increases especially for fighter pilots who have to pull of high Gs and the aircraft is a beautifully complex machinery; it should come as no surprise to anyone that most crashes are due to human error: so mistakes can be lethal and that is a whole different environment to maneuver in. Moreover, the preparation for any operation requires meticulous planning and sharp execution. However, once the pilot is on ground, he usually goes home which is different from the infantry officer who can see him being isolated from a relaxing environment for a long time.

The toughest job

By far the hardest role to pull off and the toughest job in the armed forces comes to be that of the submariner. In our conversation, this required elaboration especially because we were trying to be empirical here: the submarine is an extremely technical and complex machinery to maneuver. Any mistake can be deadly and there’s little to no chance of rescue or survival especially when in covert ops that the PN routinely takes. The pilot has some time to navigate through an aircraft crashing or eject but a submariner does not have that luxury. The depths will crush you; you cannot swim away from the depth of thousands of tons of water crushing you. The cognitive load is extremely high for ops prep and execution and it needs to be done in synchrony. Every move must be calculated, navigated, tactically thought through and the chance of error is extremely costly.

The hardest thing is that unlike the pilot but similar to the infantarian the submariner would be in hard living conditions. As a pilot becomes senior and so for the infantarian the comforts afforded would increase but even for the CO of a submarine despite being a high commanding officer, he would have a living space where you cannot even turn to your side. Most of the times you cannot smoke and can only eat a very restrictive diet but must have high levels of fitness in order to endure the physically tough and mentally torturous environment of the submarine.

The submariner would be away from his family for any time ranging from 3 – 9 months at a time and communication is scares. There are stories in the PN where officers learnt of their parents passing away while they were on duty and that’s not an exception there. The same place which is your weapon is also your prison.
paknavy pdf.JPG

An important note

I want to make it clear that this is not a case of bravado. The life of the armed forces is difficult and every one must do their role to their utmost best and that takes a hard toll on the body and the mind. Kindly, respect that this is not meant to be a measuring contest.

This was an exercise to empirically and critically look at each branch, arm and role in the military and learn from each other instead of by trial and error.

Lastly, in terms of prestige in Pakistan the PAF and PA enjoy more prestige because in large parts the people are able to see them in action whereas the PN is sometimes, in my opinion, an underappreciated but still equally formable part of our armed forces and I would like to dedicate this article to those unsung heroes who rule the depths not with fear but unrelenting resolve to be the best defenders of their homeland.

Being a part of the inter-services, often jovially, we get into jest filled spirit of inter-services rivalry the army vs the air force vs the navy. It’s all in good spirit and the jokes are classic which I’m sorry but they cannot be shared with civilians and yes, this can be taken negatively but you need to be a part of the club to enjoy the perks.

It was once on such an evening that the conversation turned into something serious and my expertise was called in to solve the issue the question was: which job in the armed forces is the hardest. Each field officer debated endlessly but there was no conclusion but they all agreed that this was a question that should be answered. Therefore, I was called in to help settle the debate because of a work I’d done on similar lines a while back.

Reviewing the literature on the question it was decided that the following things were the dimensions of toughness:

We deliberated on these dimensions in as much detail as possible. We tried to be as empirical as possible and collected as much verifiable information as possible. Here are a few considerations that may have been in the reader’s mind.

The infantarian
View attachment 647865
The brunt of the battle, facing bullets and grinders of strategy as well as masters of tactics; most infantry arms officers would spend much of their careers facing tough postings. The physical stress of the role is high; it’s not uncommon for the infantry officer to march with his men and live in hard field conditions. The complexity of the tasks involved are with regard to tactics and positioning of their platoons, company etc but the cognitive load in terms of handling high technical machinery is quite low. As far as role dynamics are concerned then officers are rotated after a hard posting and can get leaves until and unless there are extremely hard circumstances.

The pilot
View attachment 647866
The maverick who risks himself with every flight; the physical stress of the role increases especially for fighter pilots who have to pull of high Gs and the aircraft is a beautifully complex machinery; it should come as no surprise to anyone that most crashes are due to human error: so mistakes can be lethal and that is a whole different environment to maneuver in. Moreover, the preparation for any operation requires meticulous planning and sharp execution. However, once the pilot is on ground, he usually goes home which is different from the infantry officer who can see him being isolated from a relaxing environment for a long time.

The toughest job

By far the hardest role to pull off and the toughest job in the armed forces comes to be that of the submariner. In our conversation, this required elaboration especially because we were trying to be empirical here: the submarine is an extremely technical and complex machinery to maneuver. Any mistake can be deadly and there’s little to no chance of rescue or survival especially when in covert ops that the PN routinely takes. The pilot has some time to navigate through an aircraft crashing or eject but a submariner does not have that luxury. The depths will crush you; you cannot swim away from the depth of thousands of tons of water crushing you. The cognitive load is extremely high for ops prep and execution and it needs to be done in synchrony. Every move must be calculated, navigated, tactically thought through and the chance of error is extremely costly.

The hardest thing is that unlike the pilot but similar to the infantarian the submariner would be in hard living conditions. As a pilot becomes senior and so for the infantarian the comforts afforded would increase but even for the CO of a submarine despite being a high commanding officer, he would have a living space where you cannot even turn to your side. Most of the times you cannot smoke and can only eat a very restrictive diet but must have high levels of fitness in order to endure the physically tough and mentally torturous environment of the submarine.

The submariner would be away from his family for any time ranging from 3 – 9 months at a time and communication is scares. There are stories in the PN where officers learnt of their parents passing away while they were on duty and that’s not an exception there. The same place which is your weapon is also your prison.
View attachment 647867
An important note

I want to make it clear that this is not a case of bravado. The life of the armed forces is difficult and every one must do their role to their utmost best and that takes a hard toll on the body and the mind. Kindly, respect that this is not meant to be a measuring contest.

This was an exercise to empirically and critically look at each branch, arm and role in the military and learn from each other instead of by trial and error.

Lastly, in terms of prestige in Pakistan the PAF and PA enjoy more prestige because in large parts the people are able to see them in action whereas the PN is sometimes, in my opinion, an underappreciated but still equally formable part of our armed forces and I would like to dedicate this article to those unsung heroes who rule the depths not with fear but unrelenting resolve to be the best defenders of their homeland.
I don't know about that but for me most funny thing I have seen when you are in presence of various retired soldiers the way they try to prove them selves better than others is actually quite amusing. What I mean is Infantry guys will say we are better or most important thing Artillery will say they are and Armor will say they are and so on and so forth. They sometimes even get serious while joking with each other.

The infantarian
View attachment 647865

The pilot
View attachment 647866

The toughest job

View attachment 647867
An important note

You might disagree, but submarine has given PN its prestige, be it ghazi or hangor. And also the future belongs to them will be the spearhead branch with 8 of the most lethal conventional subs of the world.

I agree. I've nothing but utmost respect for them.
You might disagree, but submarine has given PN its prestige, be it ghazi or hangor. And also the future belongs to them will be the spearhead branch with 8 of the most lethal conventional subs of the world.

Yes, it's an innate part of military culture because competitiveness and cooperation go hand in hand.
I don't know about that but for me most funny thing I have seen when you are in presence of various retired soldiers the way they try to prove them selves better than others is actually quite amusing. What I mean is Infantry guys will say we are better or most important thing Artillery will say they are and Armor will say they are and so on and so forth. They sometimes even get serious while joking with each other.

Is there any safety measures installed in a Submarine ? I mean pilots can get lucky by deploying for parachutes , but if a Submarine get into some sort of hit or accident under hundreds of feet in water, than its Game over ..

Is there any safety measures installed in a Submarine ? I mean pilots can get lucky by deploying for parachutes , but if a Submarine get into some sort of hit or accident under hundreds of feet in water, than its Game over ..

There is something called rescue capsule, but they are still in R&D phase.

When one thinks of a ‘Tough ‘substance, it is implied that item/thing or the object is strong enough to withstand a lot of pressure/force and also rugged enough to survive rough use for a long time. Hence in my view, a tough person, in addition to the physical strength and ability to take the punishment, is also mentally strong to survive failures & disappointments.

Nearly all of the fighting branches of the military services require tough soldiers. However, I would say that Sappers/combat engineers perform one the toughest, if not the toughest functions on the battlefield. Combat engineers are required to install portable bridges, anti-tank traps as well as dispose off the mines and unexploded bombs, often under constant enemy fire.

There are different compartments in a Sub which can be separated from other parts of a Sub during a catastrophe but you can only survive there for a couple of days at the most because of lack of oxygen.

Inter arm rivalry is good clean banter. One can't quite live without the other.
Infantry needs armour support to advance.
Armour needs artillery barrage to advance.
Armour needs CAS to get out of tight spots. Infantry is most effective with both armour and artillery in support.
We've seen in FATA, the effectiveness of armed recce and helos to flush out militants.
That's why in modern warfare coordination and interoperability is so important.
We've seen in our past conflicts, army trying to do it alone without informing airforce and the results have not been very encouraging to say the least.
So IMHO, all arms are very important in their own way.

The infantarian
View attachment 647865

The pilot
View attachment 647866

The toughest job

View attachment 647867
An important note

One word "Logistic Branch".
They have to go wherever all of above go wether one branch of army or another everyone needs logistics, hence the toughest job.
Ask India it is in a logistic nightmare situation in Ladakh.
Heat of Africa or cold of Russia or encirclement of 6th army.

ASC, blue berets
They have to go wherever all of above go wether one branch of army or another everyone needs logistics, hence the toughest job.

I was told the engineering corps is the first to enter and the last to leave.

ASC, blue berets
I was told the engineering corps is the first to enter and the last to leave.
Imagine trying to keep up with a commander like Rommel, Guderian or trying to achieve unrealistic directives. It's wonderful if you are part of Motogomaery's army but a nightmare if you have sarphira commander like Rommel.
If things go well then its Normady
If things go south well Case blue or even operation Babrossa itself and on operational level one ambush one shell or one air strike is all it takes and its all over. They are most integral yet vanurable branch and obvious target for enemy.
I started respecting logistics branch after reading in detail about Operation Babrossa. It was lost and therfore all follow up operations like winter storm case blue and therfore defeat of wehrmacht was due to logistics. One commander who advised Hitler about logistic situation and warned Hitler against invading Soviet Union was Von Rundstedt who understood logistics aspect of warfare.
Amateurs study tactics Masters study logistics

Back
Top Bottom