What's new

The Pothohar Plateau

Strange to hear that hindko is dialect of sindhi, wouldnt that be seraiki?. On interesting note seraiki of mianwali is called hindko in our areas (lakki marwat). In lakki city there is community of multanis, who speak seraiki in their homes but is called hindko by us.

Sariaki and Hinko are 95% similar, I am from talagang area which is about 60 miles from Mianwali, you can even can call Sariaki and hinko the same language. What makes them similar to each other in my opinion is that a river runs thru that whole belt call Indus, that was the Indus civilization before people started moving further towards central punjab.

Attachments

• pakistan.jpg
    pakistan.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Sariaki and Hinko are 95% similar, I am from talagang area which is about 60 miles from Mianwali, you can even can call Sariaki and hinko the same language. What makes them similar to each other in my opinion is that a river runs thru that whole belt call Indus, that was the Indus civilization before people started moving further towards central punjab.

Thats interesting. And how much Hindko, seraiki are different from standard Punjabi ?

Strange to hear that hindko is dialect of sindhi, wouldnt that be seraiki?. On interesting note seraiki of mianwali is called hindko in our areas (lakki marwat). In lakki city there is community of multanis, who speak seraiki in their homes but is called hindko by us.

I think in Mianwali they probably speak hindko. Seraiki is also umbrella term like ''punjabi'' basically if i am not wrong. Anyway he gave exemple of similarity between sindhi and hindko. Not that hindko is dialect of sindhi.

Edit: seem like xymt already explained before me.

Thats interesting. And how much Hindko, seraiki are different from standard Punjabi ?

if you just count the word I would say 50 to 70% but a language is not the the words its the attitude, the way of communication, commonly use phrases which are totally different. Punjabi is very aggressive language in fact sometime seems so rude but Sariaki and hinko are much softer there are no ups and downs (jhutkey) like in Punjabi, its much softer to your ears, much closer to urdu in tone.

if you just count the word I would say 50 to 70% but a language is not the the words its the attitude, the way of communication, commonly use phrases which are totally different. Punjabi is very aggressive language in fact sometime seems so rude but Sariaki and hinko are much softer there are no ups and downs (jhutkey) like in Punjabi, its much softer to your ears, much closer to urdu in tone.

I concur that Punjabi is a very rude language.

The "chakwal group" from coke studio are from Talagang. Talagang people never use the word "hindko" ever. Real hindko is spoken from the chaach ilaqa. Talagang dialect is called Dhanni and Awankari most of the time. From south western Jhelum to Attock, the dialects sound highly similar, but people never call their language "hindko" as such.

And Saraiki sound highly different from both Hindko and Potohari. The Chakwali languages show very distinct Potohari words too btw. Nonetheless, the Attock Chakwal people almost always associate with a Potohari identity, and prefer to intermarry with other Potoharis rather than hindkowans etc. The culture of the whole region is distinctly Potohari. After that Seraiki province politics by the ex-pm of Pakistan, I read a few letters to newspapers by the local awans saying that they considered themselves Potohari rather than Seraiki.

Also, native Potohari speakers would barely have any trouble communicating with Talagang, Fateh Jhang people.

Yeah I talked about that with save gehnda too. Jhelum people are considered very khushaamdi and "sweet talkers" in Gujrat region, but only because of our language and accent haha. And about Potohari; it has striking similarities with Dogri. Some trademark Potohari words are "jaso", "khaso", "gachna" etc.

Yes Hindu Shahis were Potoharis. Most of their buildings are found in Potohar(Nandana, Paharwala etc). Mohyals were said to be the generals of Hindu Shahis, and most Mohyals are found in Potohar. Sanjay Dutt is a Potohari Mohyal for example. Katas Raj in Chakwal was a Mohyal colony. The Hindu Shahi rulers were said to be Kshatriya, hence they most likely belonged to some local Rajput tribe.
My maternal side is from there, they are mohyal dutt.

The "chakwal group" from coke studio are from Talagang. Talagang people never use the word "hindko" ever. Real hindko is spoken from the chaach ilaqa. Talagang dialect is called Dhanni and Awankari most of the time. From south western Jhelum to Attock, the dialects sound highly similar, but people never call their language "hindko" as such.

And Saraiki sound highly different from both Hindko and Potohari. The Chakwali languages show very distinct Potohari words too btw. Nonetheless, the Attock Chakwal people almost always associate with a Potohari identity, and prefer to intermarry with other Potoharis rather than hindkowans etc. The culture of the whole region is distinctly Potohari. After that Seraiki province politics by the ex-pm of Pakistan, I read a few letters to newspapers by the local awans saying that they considered themselves Potohari rather than Seraiki.

Also, native Potohari speakers would barely have any trouble communicating with Talagang, Fateh Jhang people.

I respect your expert linguistic opinion. But I, who was born in Talagang Lived all my life in Karachi with spending full 2.5 summer months every year traveling and staying with my Grand parents in the village, and who is married into a potohari family would know a little bit about these languages.

my wife always argued with me that she used to watch peshawari hindko daramy, she insists its not the same language we speak. mind you she never understood when I spoke with my mom.This is the same thinking some urdu speaker have who think Punjabi is whats spoken in the punjabi movies and they understand it all. Seems like you are that kind of hindko expert too. what is your native language or dialect ?

Hindko is only known as hindko in KPK, in punjab its referred to as Punjabi same as sariaki goto multan and ask any multani what language are you speaking they will say punjabi, its all in punjab. If its not Punjabi then get us out of Punjab, and who to say your language is Punjabi and mine isnt.

I respect your expert linguistic opinion. But I, who was born in Talagang Lived all my life in Karachi with spending full 2.5 summer months every year traveling and staying with my Grand parents in the village, and who is married into a potohari family would know a little bit about these languages.

my wife always argued with me that she used to watch peshawari hindko daramy, she insists its not the same language we speak. mind you she never understood when I spoke with my mom.This is the same thinking some urdu speaker have who think Punjabi is whats spoken in the punjabi movies and they understand it all. Seems like you are that kind of hindko expert too. what is your native language or dialect ?

Hindko is only known as hindko in KPK, in punjab its referred to as Punjabi same as sariaki goto multan and ask any multani what language are you speaking they will say punjabi, its all in punjab. If its not Punjabi then get us out of Punjab, and who to say your language is Punjabi and mine isnt.

Of course man those dialects are different than Potohari, that's why I shared them. They're like hindko, but distinct nonetheless. I find the Dhanni dialect really interesting that's why I shared the video. And I'm a Potohari speaker(jhelumi-mirpuri dialect). Potohari dialects are called pahari in AJK.

I just doubted if local people called their language hindko.

Rude Punjabis use rude language. So many PTIans are an example of that.

Civilized Punjabis use softer language. So many nice Punjabis are examples of that.

Same thing can be said for us Karachi folks, the Arab folks and every one around the world.

My maternal side is from there, they are mohyal dutt.

Muslims janjuas and kamboh still exist but never heard of any Mohyal muslim. Maybe their numbers were very low to begin with compared to janjuas and kamboh. There is theory sudhans are mohyals.

MOHIYAL BRAHMINS : THE ANCIENT RULERS OF PUNJAB & AFGHANISAN - Punjab Monitor

And from what i have read Mohyals brahmins were similar to other punjabi tribes in a sense that they mostly married with in tribe instead of any brahmin before partition, this is true? There used to be big Mohyal comunity in Sialkot, maybe converted ones go by other names now days.

Of course man those dialects are different than Potohari, that's why I shared them. They're like hindko, but distinct nonetheless. I find the Dhanni dialect really interesting that's why I shared the video. And I'm a Potohari speaker(jhelumi-mirpuri dialect). Potohari dialects are called pahari in AJK.

I just doubted if local people called their language hindko.

no they dont, those areas where hinko is spoken were so isolated untill 60s that they didnt know about anything some 100 miles away from them. My father told me they used to walk 2 days to get a bus for Pindi, I know people in my father's village would refer to their language as punjabi but when they met someone they didnt know and who spoke hindko they will refer to him as "addi boli bolna" meaning he spoke our language, so they considered it different than punjabi but didnt know what to call it.

One thing that I found common among Hinko speakers is they all eat black halwa (some call it sabooni halwa) and drink daal with it, they eat halwa till they cant eat anymore then they drink a bowl of daal to make more appetite for halwa. they f'ing eat it so much that some people died from over eating.

it depends how you perceive a particular language.. urduish Punjabi we in indian Punjab consider it bhapa language...Urdu itself is considerd bhaiya language. Pakistani are different mentality people so they think always ulta opposite to the norm.

I know, i was just joking. Anyway the video you posted of Indian punjabis didn't look like punjabis to me. I have seen khalistani sikhs videos and they do resemble Pakistani punjabis somewhat but not the one you posted.
Dunno what has happened to Punjabis in your side.. probably difference in diet and religion as islam considers it haram to show too much happiness could have changed your side looks since 1947. your side people seem to have less refined features and thiner bones and small body frame. what could be the reason. n u know what khalistan Lehar was mostly in the Amritsar district of Punjab and I posted the video from khalsa college amritsar

Last edited:
it depends how you perceive a particular language.. urduish Punjabi we in indian Punjab consider it bhapa language...Urdu itself is considerd bhaiya language. Pakistani are different mentality people so they think always ulta opposite to the norm.

Dunno what has happened to Punjabis in your side.. probably difference in diet and religion as islam considers it haram to show too much happiness could have changed your side looks since 1947. your side people seem to have less refined features and thiner bones and small body frame. what could be the reason. n u know what khalistan Lehar was mostly in the Amritsar district of Punjab and I posted the video from khalsa college amritsar

You are blind men, only sikh jatts with Pakistan roots have good looks among you IMO. Its proven fact. :P Anyway bhaiyas are taking over East Punjab not west punjab :whistle:

Last edited:
You are blind men, only sikh jatts with Pakistan roots have good looks among you IMO. Its proven fact. :P Anyway bhaiyas are taking over East Punjab not west punjab :whistle:
are you for real dude.. your side Punjabi are shorter darker and with less refined features with wide noses .. as you yourself showed in your video. maybe that is definition of good looks in your Pakistan.. lol :omghaha: anyways what could be the reason you guys look so different.. is it because you mingled with bhaiyas.

they don't look Pakistani at all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom