What's new

The Pothohar Plateau

I would be lying if I said we don't look different from Punjabis in general. Pakistani central punjabis look just like Sikh punjabis. We Potoharis look a bit different. Sanjay Dutt for example has a very Potohari look. I don't think he looks Punjabi. As for Himachal and Jammu, we do have distant links to them. The Chibs of Mirpur and Jhelum region came from Kangra, Himachal. The Mair Minhas of Chakwal, and Minhas Rajas from Pindi are descendants of Jammu Manhas clan. Raja Pervez Ashraf from Gujar Khan is a Minhas.

And Potohari language sounds a bit like Dogri(I saw some video). In Potohar Hindko like dialects are often spoken too, but this is the standard Potohari:

What does it sound like?
it sound a bit different from standard Punjabi but is Punjabi for sure. sounds beutifull and seems like influenced fom dogri

it sound a bit different from standard Punjabi but is Punjabi for sure. sounds beutifull and seems like influenced fom dogri

Check my previous posts on this thread about the Dhanni dialect of Chakwal. It is a hindko influenced dialect. Please watch those videos and tell me what they sound like.

Couple? They all look punjabis to me. What they look like? Watch another video from Gujrat, you will also get to know accent/dialect central punjabis speak which is little different then sikh punjabi and potohari.

dude who is singing look like Sikh Punjabi and some other dudes look like hindu Punjabi.. yep I would say majority in this video look familier although the language sound a bit different ... bit like mirassi.. take no offence just coincidence

Last edited:
And Potohari and Hindko influenced dialects of Potohar are said to be very "sweet sounding". There's a stereotype associated with Potoharis in Punjab that we are "khushaamdi" or "a*** lickers" as our language sounds way too sweet. I have heard this from many people, including a person from my village. He said people of central Punjab thought he was being a khushamdi when he tried talking to them. And here is another video of Dhanni dialect of Chakwal:

PS: I love this song. Sounds very sweet. I'm a standard Potohari speaker btw.

:D
dude who is singing look like Sikh Punjabi and some other dudes look like hindu Punjabi.. yep I would say majority in this video look familier although the language look a bit different ... bit like mirassi.. take no offence just coincidence

The guy singing is jatt and have taken mirasi profession. I also see many jat sikhs being in kanjar profession now days. Anyway central punjabi is known as ''standard punjabi'', like for exemple heer warish shah was in standard punjabi and its different then sikhi punjabi. Previous video i posted were also punjabis. If you say anyother place i may break your nose through virtual screen.....

J/k

@ghoul
that dhanni sounds just another Punjabi dialect to me... I can understand it well

It sounds quite similar to Hindko. You'd like to hear hindko too. And did Dhanni sound like Potohari?

Couple? They all look punjabis to me. What they look like? Watch another video from Gujrat, you will also get to know accent/dialect central punjabis speak which is little different then sikh punjabi and potohari.

The type of music that those guys are playing is very stereotypical "Punjabi". This music type would be very alien as soon as you cross river Jhelum.

:D

The guy singing is jatt and have taken mirasi profession. I also see many jat sikhs being in kanjar profession now days. Anyway central punjabi is known as ''standard punjabi'', like for exemple heer warish shah was in standard punjabi and its different then sikhi punjabi. Previous video i posted were also punjabis. If you say anyother place i may break your nose through virtual screen.....

J/k
are all singers in Pakistan mirassis. by the way there are lot of singers who are actually mirassis in indian Punjab... example kuldeep manak, Punjabi raj gayak hans raj hans and many others.. they sing about jatts doest mean they are jatts

The group singing, like Chakwal group in coke studio, is a very common pan-Potohari style. This song "nai aya" is a very common Potohari folk song sung all over. Start at 2:39 for group singing:

Here's another singer singing that:

It sounds quite similar to Hindko. You'd like to hear hindko too. And did Dhanni sound like Potohari?

The type of music that those guys are playing is very stereotypical "Punjabi". This music type would be very alien as soon as you cross river Jhelum.
sounds bit similar to patohari to me..but I can decipher what they were singings.. they sound ok not alien

And Potohari and Hindko influenced dialects of Potohar are said to be very "sweet sounding". There's a stereotype associated with Potoharis in Punjab that we are "khushaamdi" or "a*** lickers" as our language sounds way too sweet. I have heard this from many people, including a person from my village. He said people of central Punjab thought he was being a khushamdi when he tried talking to them. And here is another video of Dhanni dialect of Chakwal:

PS: I love this song. Sounds very sweet. I'm a standard Potohari speaker btw.

You are 100% right about stereotype about Potohari language. Its indeed sweet language compared to somewhat rude punjabi spoken in our villages. My father friend is from Jhelum and he is indeed famous for talking sweet or khushaamdi (a** licker?) among us lol

You are 100% right about stereotype about Potohari language. Its indeed sweet language compared to somewhat rude punjabi spoken in our villages. My father friend is from Jhelum and he is indeed famous for talking sweet or khushaamdi (a** licker?) among us lol

Some Potoharis really mind it. I find it rather amusing. But in general, Potoharis are the exact opposite of khushamdi types. It's only our accent haha.

And btw Potohar has a pashtun like concept of revenge. Talagang, Fateh Jhang, Pindi Gheb and Chakwal are very notorious for murders, mostly caused by revenge and land disputes. The problem was much more widespread in colonial era, and Britishers wrote about it too.

are all singers in Pakistan mirassis. by the way there are lot of singers who are actually mirassis in indian Punjab... example kuldeep manak, Punjabi raj gayak hans raj hans and many others.. they sing about jatts doest mean they are jatts

Most of singers in Indian punjab have jatt surnames.

Some Potoharis really mind it. I find it rather amusing. But in general, Potoharis are the exact opposite of khushamdi types. It's only our accent haha.

And btw Potohar has a pashtun like concept of revenge. Talagang, Fateh Jhang, Pindi Gheb and Chakwal are very notorious for murders, mostly caused by revenge and land disputes. The problem was much more widespread in colonial era, and Britishers wrote about it too.

Killing over land disputes used to be normal in Gujrawala division. But after industrilization of Gujrat, Sialkot and Gujrawala otherwise known as golden export triangle of Pakistan plus huge remitances from abroad have reduced importances of land somewhat and with it killings also. Also people over the years have become more civilized.

GoldenExportTriangle-SialkotAirport.jpg

Back
Top Bottom