What's new

Sunil Gavaskar criticises BCCI's decision to resume ties with Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar on Monday criticised the BCCI's decision to revive the Indo-Pak bilateral cricket ties as he felt Pakistan was not cooperating in the Mumbai terror attacks probe.

The bilateral cricketing ties had been snapped after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and there have been several attempts by the Pakistan Cricket Board in recent months to convince the BCCI to resume it. "Being a Mumbaikar I feel what is the urgency when there is no co-operation from the other side," said Gavaskar.

Gavaskar also felt that India are playing a lot of cricket in the upcoming season and any other series would only put pressure on the cricketers. England are scheduled to arrive in India for a four-match Test series followed by two Twenty20 internationals before going home on Christmas. They would be back to play five one-day internationals, scheduled to take place from January 11.

"Well, my first reaction is that the time the players have between the England series, it is not going to be there. They are playing England in November-December but now they are not going to get the breather," Gavaskar said.

"Players need the time to look after their injuries and get better," he added. Meanwhile, former Pakistan player, Zaheer Abbas expressed happiness at the resumption of ties, saying that it will be good for the Indo-Pak relationship.

"The best remedy is to play. At least the country will be busy watching cricket. It will be good for cricket and Indo-Pak relationship. Both the countries should be playing cricket every year. It is a very good sign," said Abbas. "People in Pakistan are very happy. India are becoming a great power in cricket. Playing with India we can improve our cricket also," he said.

Another former captain Bishan Singh Bedi, however, welcomed the proposed series and said that it was a step in the right direction.

"It will be interesting Pakistan is playing their home series in India. It will mean a lot in the two nations. And the amount of interest and the goodwill it will generate will be huge. Lots of positives will come out of it and it is a step in the right direction," Bedi said.

"I am not interested much in a Pakistan team being invited in the Champions League Twenty20. I am more interested in the two countries playing against each other," he added.

Bedi felt that the Indian cricketers could be a tiring lot against Pakistan as they were also to play against Australia and England before the Indo-Pak series.

"India-Pakistan matches are much more intense than Australia playing England. My only apprehension is that the Indian boys may be a bit taxing. England and Australia are coming and to take out another series, though short, against arch-rivals Pakistan could be taxing on the Indian players," said the spin great.

Sunil Gavaskar criticises BCCI's decision to resume ties with Pakistan - The Times of India

Happy to hear this... If there is any hope of improvement in the two country's relation with each other, i believe, will come initially through undiplomatic measures between the two countries.The viewing of the other Nation and its citizens as 'enemies' should be removed from peoples' heart.I think the best example was set during the Cricket series of 2004 when the Indian Team visited Pakistan after 15 years.The change within the people was visible across the borders.The Love for Game of cricket turned in to Admiration and love for the cricketers of both sides.Cricketers representing our Nation were welcomed and admired at many parts of Pakistan,likes of colleges etc. Remember words of then Indian PM Sri Vajpayee Khel hi nahi, dil bhi jitye" (Win not only the matches, but the hearts as well. My best wishes are with you)”

We shud keep politics out of cricket. Good move:tup:

NEW DELHI: Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar on Monday criticised the BCCI's decision to revive the Indo-Pak bilateral cricket ties as he felt Pakistan was not cooperating in the Mumbai terror attacks probe.

The bilateral cricketing ties had been snapped after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and there have been several attempts by the Pakistan Cricket Board in recent months to convince the BCCI to resume it. "Being a Mumbaikar I feel what is the urgency when there is no co-operation from the other side," said Gavaskar.

Gavaskar also felt that India are playing a lot of cricket in the upcoming season and any other series would only put pressure on the cricketers. England are scheduled to arrive in India for a four-match Test series followed by two Twenty20 internationals before going home on Christmas. They would be back to play five one-day internationals, scheduled to take place from January 11.

"Well, my first reaction is that the time the players have between the England series, it is not going to be there. They are playing England in November-December but now they are not going to get the breather," Gavaskar said.

"Players need the time to look after their injuries and get better," he added. Meanwhile, former Pakistan player, Zaheer Abbas expressed happiness at the resumption of ties, saying that it will be good for the Indo-Pak relationship.

"The best remedy is to play. At least the country will be busy watching cricket. It will be good for cricket and Indo-Pak relationship. Both the countries should be playing cricket every year. It is a very good sign," said Abbas. "People in Pakistan are very happy. India are becoming a great power in cricket. Playing with India we can improve our cricket also," he said.

Another former captain Bishan Singh Bedi, however, welcomed the proposed series and said that it was a step in the right direction.

"It will be interesting Pakistan is playing their home series in India. It will mean a lot in the two nations. And the amount of interest and the goodwill it will generate will be huge. Lots of positives will come out of it and it is a step in the right direction," Bedi said.

"I am not interested much in a Pakistan team being invited in the Champions League Twenty20. I am more interested in the two countries playing against each other," he added.

Bedi felt that the Indian cricketers could be a tiring lot against Pakistan as they were also to play against Australia and England before the Indo-Pak series.

"India-Pakistan matches are much more intense than Australia playing England. My only apprehension is that the Indian boys may be a bit taxing. England and Australia are coming and to take out another series, though short, against arch-rivals Pakistan could be taxing on the Indian players," said the spin great.

Sunil Gavaskar criticises BCCI's decision to resume ties with Pakistan - The Times of India

before this i had some respect to gavasker even though i thought he was highly biased commentator, but now he has tried to bring politics in the game

even many pakistani cricketers praised gavasker and appreciated his remarkable career

so all respect i had for any indian is long gone

now i believe pakistan shouldnt even bother to play india, too much humiliation of pakistan, should withdraw from CLT20, i was never in its favour in the first place

mr sunil should better know about the facts about fake lists and fake proof before openly his idiot mouth

pakistan can entertain someone just because they claimed something illogical

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3189759 said:
before this i had some respect to gavasker even though i thought he was highly biased commentator, but now he has tried to bring politics in the game

even many pakistani cricketers praised gavasker and appreciated his remarkable career

so all respect i had for any indian is long gone

now i believe pakistan shouldnt even bother to play india, too much humiliation of pakistan, should withdraw from CLT20, i was never in its favour in the first place
It was his personal view, not entire cricket lovers of india. Most of us will love to see u playing here.

I think it would be better for mr gavaskar to remain a cricket analyst rather than poking his nose into political and security matters , What cricket has to do with mumbai attacks, if anything can bring back the relations to normal its sports , not involving in bilateral events will further increase the gap and sickening attitude towards eachother which in return will result into more horrible consequences

Interesting isnt it that every other person loves to include politics in his writings and speeches when it comes to Pakistan and india to perfectly exploit for himself the opportunity of coming under lime light

BCCI decision is final..others are free to give analysis.

I think it would be better for mr gavaskar to remain a cricket analyst rather than poking his nose into political and security matters , What cricket has to do with mumbai attacks, if anything can bring back the relations to normal its sports , not involving in bilateral events will further increase the gap and sickening attitude towards eachother which in return will result into more horrible consequences

Interesting isnt it that every other person loves to include politics in his writings and speeches when it comes to Pakistan and india to perfectly exploit for himself the opportunity of coming under lime light

why he should remain just a cricket analyst ? He is an Indian and has all the rights to react on the situation.

I think Apart from sanjay majrekar all indian commentators are biased specially when it come to Pakistan and india match , sunil gavaskar and ravi shastri are the extreme examples , while its sad to know that manjrekar also has started to follow the lines of the former ones , Last time when he commentated in an Pakistan india match his views were lot different than what they were used to be when he last appeared to the scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom