What's new

Sukhoi Su-30 MKI - waltz in the sky

On the basis of what? Its claims. The French would disagree with you, the British, the Italians, and many, many more. You have never flown in exercises against the Typhoon, similarly you have never gone up against the Rafale.

SU-30 MKI has flown against both Rafale and Typhoon. Su 30 MKI flew against typhoon during 2007 Indo - UK excersise - Indhradhanush. There is a awesome photograph of MKI , Typhoon & Tornado together over british skies. Su 30 MKI flew against Rafale during Red flag 2008 , however it has never conducted missions with just 'Rafale' if i remember correct.

SU-30 MKI has flown against both Rafale and Typhoon. Su 30 MKI flew against typhoon during 2007 Indo - UK excersise - Indhradhanush. There is a awesome photograph of MKI , Typhoon & Tornado together over british skies. Su 30 MKI flew against Rafale during Red flag 2008 , however it has never conducted missions with just 'Rafale' if i remember correct.

Trust me on this. You did not fly *against* the Typhoon or the Rafale. You flew with the Typhoon on a photo opp and with the Rafale in a LFE alongside.

Last edited:
Trust me on this. You did not fly *against* the Typhoon or the Rafale. You flew with the Typhoon on a photo opp and with the Rafale in a LFE alongside.

Affirmative. It was noted that Typhoon did not join tests and was only for picture moment...

Affirmative. It was noted that Typhoon did not join tests and was only for picture moment...

Sukhoi-30s square off with RAF Typhoons
Much was at stake of its reputation when for the first-time, the Royal Air Force's (RAF) Eurofighter Typhoon, developed by a consortium of European manufacturers and recently inducted into the RAF, was to engage in any kind of an aerial combat with any non-RAF/NATO fighter.
The Indian Air Force's (IAF) Sukhoi-30 MKI 'air superiority fighter', here for the bilateral air exercise at Waddington for 'Exercise Indradhanush-2007', had an opponent for a befitting duel.
:bounce:The operational part of the 'Exercise Indradhanush-2007' began with a series of 1 vs 1 air combat sorties.:bounce: Both the variants landed with their much-touted reputations intact as each side tested their potential with their adversary in the air to their limits. These sorties were premised not entirely on having winners or losers – but more for their evaluator and training values as encapsulated in the objectives. And both sides ended-up sharing an enhanced respect for each other's capabilities – both in terms of training values, and combat potentials of the diverse aerial platforms.
While the RAF fielded some of their most-experienced and highly-qualified pilots, some of them being very senior performance evaluators in active service, the IAF pilots were a mix of 'young to middle-level pilots' from the 'Rhinos' squadron. The RAF pilots were candid in their admission of the Su-30 MKI's observed superior manouevring in the air, just as they had studied, prepared and anticipated. The IAF pilots on their part were also visibly impressed by the Typhoon's agility in the air.
While it does not imply to say that the air combat sorties were meant for backslapping each other, it may be understood that in today's aerial combat scenarios of 'beyond visual range' (BVR) capabilities of air platforms, it is highly unlikely that any of the modern-day fighters will ever get into a situation that warrants extreme close air combat, as in the situations simulated in the 'one-versus-one' sorties. With a 'kill' criterion of front-gun ranges during 'one-versus-one' being mostly under 1000 metres and a visual tracking envelope behind the target for only up to a 60-degree cone for most fighter aircraft of the world, the unlikely scenario gets further exemplified.
But the irony also lies in the fact that while there is a number of counter and counter-counter measures to make the modern missiles with claims of inescapable parameters redundant by using 'chaff' and other active/passive measures, a 'gun kill' is invariably a most certain kill. The fighter pilots begin honing their tracking and combat skills under such close combat situations.
The exercise that nearly runs into midway by the weekend constitutes mostly mixed missions where RAF F3 Tornados, Hawks and Typhoons that are packed together with IAF Su-30 MKIs. The sorties include combat situations of 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and upward combinations. The raiders are tasked with 'High Value Asset' (HVA) busting on the ground and the 'High Value Airborne Asset' (HVAA) busting in the air, while the defensive elements designated to counter their ambitions.

source BRF
12ed37047642d93b6469212e20d82e1f.jpg

it was a proper exercise Blain 2 what makes you think we did not?
Typhoon vs. SU-30MKI: The 2007 Indra Dhanush Exercise
I quote...
"The operational part of the ‘Exercise Indradhanush-2007’ began with a series of 1 vs 1 air combat sorties… The RAF pilots were candid in their admission of the Su-30 MKI’s observed superior manouevring in the air, just as they had studied, prepared and anticipated. [emphasis DID’s] The IAF pilots on their part were also visibly impressed by the Typhoon’s agility in the air."
so we do have the experience of flying along side the typhoon.

Why do you feel that away about Typhoon blain ?

As far as Rafale is concerened , you are correct & thats the reason i mentioned we have never flown with just 'Rafale' on a mission.

Why do you feel that away about Typhoon blain ?

As far as Rafale is concerened , you are correct & thats the reason i mentioned we have never flown with just 'Rafale' on a mission.

Because the RAF AVM who coordinated the exercise went on the record to clarify that at no point were the Typhoon and MKI allowed to mix it up due to all of the restrictions the IAF had put on the MKI's use. This was in addition to all the negative PR that had been done about the RAF Tornadoes after the previous exercise (given the fact that RAF had no qualms about acknowledging that Tornado is not an air superiority fighter, yet the Indian press claimed "splashing RAF" without understanding the role of the Tornado).

During Ex. Indradhanush, the Indian side was told that if the Typhoon becomes a serious contender for the MMRCA, then RAF would allow it to be evaluated by the IAF by flying it against the MKI but not before.

Last edited:
it was a proper exercise Blain 2 what makes you think we did not?
Typhoon vs. SU-30MKI: The 2007 Indra Dhanush Exercise
I quote...
"The operational part of the ‘Exercise Indradhanush-2007’ began with a series of 1 vs 1 air combat sorties… The RAF pilots were candid in their admission of the Su-30 MKI’s observed superior manouevring in the air, just as they had studied, prepared and anticipated. [emphasis DID’s] The IAF pilots on their part were also visibly impressed by the Typhoon’s agility in the air."
so we do have the experience of flying along side the typhoon.

You folks can spin it any way you want to given the fact that there is a massive propensity to do so. I stand by the point and its a fact that RAF Typhoons and the IAF MKIs have not mixed it up in the air.

The Typhoon only flew during the Ex. for photo ops. and all of the observation of the Typhoon was done by flying in formation or from the ground.

The RAF observed the MKI's agility while flying their Tornadoes which took BVR shots for the MKIs because the MKIs would not use their radars.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Sukhoi-30s square off with RAF Typhoons
Much was at stake of its reputation when for the first-time, the Royal Air Force's (RAF) Eurofighter Typhoon, developed by a consortium of European manufacturers and recently inducted into the RAF, was to engage in any kind of an aerial combat with any non-RAF/NATO fighter.
The Indian Air Force's (IAF) Sukhoi-30 MKI 'air superiority fighter', here for the bilateral air exercise at Waddington for 'Exercise Indradhanush-2007', had an opponent for a befitting duel.
:bounce:The operational part of the 'Exercise Indradhanush-2007' began with a series of 1 vs 1 air combat sorties.:bounce: Both the variants landed with their much-touted reputations intact as each side tested their potential with their adversary in the air to their limits. These sorties were premised not entirely on having winners or losers – but more for their evaluator and training values as encapsulated in the objectives. And both sides ended-up sharing an enhanced respect for each other's capabilities – both in terms of training values, and combat potentials of the diverse aerial platforms.
While the RAF fielded some of their most-experienced and highly-qualified pilots, some of them being very senior performance evaluators in active service, the IAF pilots were a mix of 'young to middle-level pilots' from the 'Rhinos' squadron. The RAF pilots were candid in their admission of the Su-30 MKI's observed superior manouevring in the air, just as they had studied, prepared and anticipated. The IAF pilots on their part were also visibly impressed by the Typhoon's agility in the air.
While it does not imply to say that the air combat sorties were meant for backslapping each other, it may be understood that in today's aerial combat scenarios of 'beyond visual range' (BVR) capabilities of air platforms, it is highly unlikely that any of the modern-day fighters will ever get into a situation that warrants extreme close air combat, as in the situations simulated in the 'one-versus-one' sorties. With a 'kill' criterion of front-gun ranges during 'one-versus-one' being mostly under 1000 metres and a visual tracking envelope behind the target for only up to a 60-degree cone for most fighter aircraft of the world, the unlikely scenario gets further exemplified.
But the irony also lies in the fact that while there is a number of counter and counter-counter measures to make the modern missiles with claims of inescapable parameters redundant by using 'chaff' and other active/passive measures, a 'gun kill' is invariably a most certain kill. The fighter pilots begin honing their tracking and combat skills under such close combat situations.
The exercise that nearly runs into midway by the weekend constitutes mostly mixed missions where RAF F3 Tornados, Hawks and Typhoons that are packed together with IAF Su-30 MKIs. The sorties include combat situations of 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and upward combinations. The raiders are tasked with 'High Value Asset' (HVA) busting on the ground and the 'High Value Airborne Asset' (HVAA) busting in the air, while the defensive elements designated to counter their ambitions.

source BRF
12ed37047642d93b6469212e20d82e1f.jpg

The above is how you misconstrue the facts. I will shortly share what the RAF side, represented by no less than a RAF AVM who coordinated the Ex., had to say about the participation of their Typhoon. Suffice it to say Typhoon simply came in to pay courtesy and get some pictures taken alongside the other aircraft participating in the Ex.

Cost of MKI is $40-45mn,
and cost of Rafale is $100mn - 120mn,

and indian still have plans to buy rafale,
Thats mean that indian airforce is biggest foolish force of world who want to buy less capable aircraft on more than double price!
So decide who is fool, u or ur govt and airforce!

Cost of MKI is $40-45mn,

Thats mean that indian airforce is biggest foolish force of world who want to buy less capable aircraft on more than double price!
hmm lets see .....
you must be fooling your self - because you are comparing carrot to pizza here.

India dont want - Rafael to replace our - mk1 , Rafael is to replace tha aging fleet of mig-21. for the numbers.
india will surely mk1ize its - fighters once we get the,
i think even mirage -2000 are costlier than basic - su-30
rafaele and typhoon is expensive because of their european origin , if you been in this forum for that long i think you know a little about that fact.

and why are we going for european fighter or american fighter in mrca ( if that ever happen ). because never depend on one supplier . its been said a million times i guess. :cheers:

And here we go again.

Correct. Even a paper plane made from Indian trees can shoot down all of PAF from beyond beyond beyond visual range.

hahaha bro you are funny and i can't stop laughing on your comment to him.:yahoo::bunny::rofl:

@Blain 2
I don't understand what the purpose of the exercise Indradhanush might be...the RAF brought their most advanced fighter,the IAF took the SU-30MKI...both the aricrafts were present and it was a combat exercise...why wouldn't they engage in a one-on-one?
does it make any sense?wouldn't the two airforces want to scale up against the other?

Lca haha where did u make that up from ? :lol::flame:

His dream hahahah, Funny part is that how some members talk to chines friends that first get your tech close to USA russia France and yet when it comes to their brag they will declare Indian processing jets Number 2 in the world :rofl::bounce::bunny::hitwall:

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 AM ----------

Cost of MKI is $40-45mn,

You just took my words out of my mouth. I totally agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom