What's new

Featured SSK Agosta 90B Class Attack Submarine Information Pool

I read somewhere that french sanctioned the upgrades for Agosta Submarines. Does anyone have info about it? What kind of sanctions they imposed?
Not true, the original maker of the submarines were themselves in the running for the contract to upgrade these submarines but STM won. None of the upgrades are being sourced from France. Turkeys ASELAN and HAVELSAN are providing them. These are very major upgrades too, will keep these submarines relevant for decades to come.

Not true, the original maker of the submarines were themselves in the running for the contract to upgrade these submarines but STM won. None of the upgrades are being sourced from France. Turkeys ASELAN and HAVELSAN are providing them. These are very major upgrades too, will keep these submarines relevant for decades to come.
I was refering to this article on previous page which quotes STM general manager as the source.
E5F8DEB7-0B66-4564-BC8C-EC89B4804E4D.jpeg

When were the Agosta-70 upgraded and are they still relevant for this decade and those to come ?

When were the Agosta-70 upgraded and are they still relevant for this decade and those to come ?
Agosta 70 were not upgraded and will likely be retired when Hangor class enter service. Agosta 90B are all being modernized.
I was refering to this article on previous page which quotes STM general manager as the source.
View attachment 794031
i believe he’s talking about the French restrictions placed on Turkey, but depending on when this interview took place, he could be talking about Pakistan as well. Because when the contract was signed back in 2016, France and Pakistan didn’t have issues with each other, they did however develop later due to the rise of islamophobia in France as well as their increased weapon sales to India.

Why the 3rd one has not been signed up for modernization?

Cost is certainly not the issue considering Pakistan has so many parallel naval programs running simultaneously. It is a matter of operational presence. Only one 90B sub was available during operation swift retort. It was also tge one which kept Indian naval forces from making any aggressive move. I wouldnt bore you with details bcz story is well known now. In short once first upgraded 90B is inducted last 90B will also undergo the upgrade. It is also possible that they might wait for second to become operational as well.

The agreement, which includes the modernisation of three definite submarines

Agosta 70 were not upgraded and will likely be retired when Hangor class enter service. Agosta 90B are all being modernized.

i believe he’s talking about the French restrictions placed on Turkey, but depending on when this interview took place, he could be talking about Pakistan as well. Because when the contract was signed back in 2016, France and Pakistan didn’t have issues with each other, they did however develop later due to the rise of islamophobia in France as well as their increased weapon sales to India.

I thought there was minor upgrade with SUBTICS but I can see retiring these old subs soon. Given their age not sure about them being used for serious offensive ops.

Back
Top Bottom