What's new

Slumdog Millionaire wins 8 Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read what I wrote in the first post. "As it turns out, India's the best Manufacturer for that in the world right now" which basically means my silly friends, that the spotlight is on INDIA right now. Where exactly did I deny the poverty problems found in the rest of the world? Seriously, get some education.

Mr Educated bezerk, i understand that u didnt deny the poverty problems found in the rest of the world, but tried to derive maximum self pleasure from the fact that there is huge problem of poverty in india.

I want to deny u that self congratulatory pleasure while ur own backyards are littered with slums filled with slumdogs.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're summing it all up by YOUR standards and definition. My point was regarding the trolls who're bad mouthing a Movie JUST because it shows some negative aspects of their country. Almost ALL the "Indian" folks who're discussing this Movie on the Internet, seem to forget the fact that it'll bring about some "Attention" to these slums and would in the end, would work out for THEIR benefit. It's this pathetic thinking that pushes me to make puns about a society who're too worked up about masking their problems instead of criticizing the system that keeps a blind eye towards the issue.

Its not abt " my" standards but more to do with how we have become & how we behave.

Next, the movie does not show negative aspects of India but realities as they are in any Asian / 3rd world / developing country. Attention and " benefit " is not brought about by the Oscars & the like.

It is a prob that needed resoloution with or without awards.

If poverty is what he wanted to show it was better danny boyle could have taken his camera to somalia..!!!!
Dude the movie is awarded the Oscars not for its poverty but for its spirit..!!! Ok.. and that spirit is the spirit of every indian..!!!!

The real india have poverty, richness, powerful economy, diverse cultures, religions and respectful place in the world map. Your one dimensional definition of the real side of india lacks or shows your lack of knowledge about india my dear...!!! Jai ho.!!!!:D

Some of you folks are really out of touch with the rest of the world. Let me break it down for you all ... I didn't say that the Movie won it's awards because of poverty. You're OWN PEOPLE are saying that by using terms "Poverty Sells". What's the matter with all of you?

Secondly, I wouldn't celebrate too hard on the whole "Spirit of India" thing. The Movie is Directed by a Britisher and his perspective was surely to mix REALISM with a certain amount of Spirit.

As far as my knowledge on India goes, trust me, I know enough. The "Real Side" of India is once again, NOT being understood by you people. I'd suggest that you all try to understand that with a "Little" less emotion and about -this- much of intellect. The rest of the world have ALWAYS pictured India by the means available to them. Bollywood. The "Different" view that is shown in that movie, is what's got people talking about the "Real" side of India. Once again, these aren't my words. A little bit of research from your side on this issue would be HIGHLY appreciated.

I didn't say that the Movie won it's awards because of poverty. You're OWN PEOPLE are saying that by using terms "Poverty Sells"

Hmm.........

As it turns out, Poverty sells, and India's the best manufacturer for that in the world right now!

Its not abt " my" standards but more to do with how we have become & how we behave.

Next, the movie does not show negative aspects of India but realities as they are in any Asian / 3rd world / developing country. Attention and " benefit " is not brought about by the Oscars & the like.

It is a prob that needed resoloution with or without awards.

First of all, Reality comes in two forms. "Positive" and "Negative" reality. Would you say that the "Reality" of the slums in India are a "Positive" aspect for India? Please, give some time to my posts. If they're not getting through you, I'm right here.

Secondly, Attention and "Benefits" DID came along with the success of SM. Did you not hear about the "Slum Tours" that are being arranged now in India for all the fans of SM who've learned about the dark side of India? Do you know where the money from all those tours are going to go? That's right. To the removal and development of those slums.

Here's a couple of Examples.

Slum tours get Slumdog Millionaire boost - Worldnews.com

Film spurs tourism in Mumbai's slums

Some of you folks are really out of touch with the rest of the world. Let me break it down for you all ... I didn't say that the Movie won it's awards because of poverty. You're OWN PEOPLE are saying that by using terms "Poverty Sells". What's the matter with all of you?

Secondly, I wouldn't celebrate too hard on the whole "Spirit of India" thing. The Movie is Directed by a Britisher and his perspective was surely to mix REALISM with a certain amount of Spirit.

As far as my knowledge on India goes, trust me, I know enough. The "Real Side" of India is once again, NOT being understood by you people. I'd suggest that you all try to understand that with a "Little" less emotion and about -this- much of intellect. The rest of the world have ALWAYS pictured India by the means available to them. Bollywood. The "Different" view that is shown in that movie, is what's got people talking about the "Real" side of India. Once again, these aren't my words. A little bit of research from your side on this issue would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Obvoiusly these are difference in perceptions..!!! Well thanks for clearing our thoughts that you don't think poverty sells and india is the worlds largest manufacters of poverty..!!! And thank you also for saying that what you meant by REAL india was the OTHER side of india..!!! Coz real india is not only about poverty but also of triumph and sucess..!!!:)
Sorry we took your comments little but seriously based on your past track record you know ;)
And one more thing, it has got a message which is universelly acceptable, the filim didnt succeed because they gotta see a different india, but because it had a good story..!!! So all the detractors of the movie i would say you and me are enitled for each others opinion.. for as there are still reasonable people who dont judge india by your opinion alone..!!!;)

And congragulations to all the cast and crew of the movie..!!! Especially resul pookty and A.R rahman..!!!:)

Doesn't address the sentence in question at all.

In any case, congrats to Beaufoy - a great writer, Danny Boyle - great director and fantastic human being, A R Rahman - genius as usual, and all the other cast and crew. :wave:

*Sigh*

Let's break it down ONE Last time.

My post said ... "As it turns out, Poverty sells, and India's the best manufacturer for that in the world right now! "

The poverty sells part. Do a little bit of research. A LOT of negative reviews started coming out of India regarding SM saying that it's a "Poverty ****" and that "Poverty Sells" and that's the REAL reason for the success of SM.

Once again, I'M NOT saying that, Indian bloggers, Indian Members of IMDB, and The India media are saying that. Do you understand the Pun NOW?

Now, the part "And India's the best manufacturer for that in the world right now". I explained that in the post I linked you with .. But anyway, for the sake of argument, Here it is again.

"As it turns out, India's the best Manufacturer for that in the world right now" which basically means my silly friends, that the spotlight is on INDIA right now. Where exactly did I deny the poverty problems found in the rest of the world? Seriously, get some education."

Hope this helps.

Obvoiusly these are difference in perceptions..!!! Well thanks for clearing our thoughts that you don't think poverty sells and india is the worlds largest manufacters of poverty..!!! And thank you also for saying that what you meant by REAL india was the OTHER side of india..!!! Coz real india is not only about poverty but also of triumph and sucess..!!!:)
Sorry we took your comments little but seriously based on your past track record you know ;)
And one more thing, it has got a message which is universelly acceptable, the filim didnt succeed because they gotta see a different india, but because it had a good story..!!! So all the detractors of the movie i would say you and me are enitled for each others opinion.. for as there are still reasonable people who dont judge india by your opinion alone..!!!;)

And congragulations to all the cast and crew of the movie..!!! Especially resul pookty and A.R rahman..!!!:)

Well, I'm glad at least SOMEONE got the hang of it. If only the rest of the lot stopped acting like sheer "Drama Queens" and "Manned" up a little bit, they'd realize what I was trying to say here. Seriously, would it hurt some of the members here to give a "Proper" read to some of the posts before acting like complete Imbeciles? *Sigh*

Frankly speaking, this whole thread has had "Less" of my personal views and more facts from reality. As I said, there's TONS of material out there which could be dug up in this case. Feel free to do so!

And by the way, Most of the Indian people in general and on IMDB seem to be congratulating the "Indian" cast more than the Director. Let's not forget that If it wasn't for Danny boyle, people from all over the world would never have known about the Indian "Celebrities" who can now be easily identified by most of the people from all parts of the world. So basically, Props to him!

In this " I am right " cross talk, we lost an important event that took place at LA today.

I feel the Oscar given to " Smile Pinki" a documentary shot near Varanasi in UP is worth commending as well... may be more than slum dog.

Doesn't address the sentence in question at all.

In any case, congrats to Beaufoy - a great writer, Danny Boyle - great director and fantastic human being, A R Rahman - genius as usual, and all the other cast and crew. :wave:

JAI HO!

:)

Hope sells, openness sells, great music sells :)

India is proud of AR Rahman and Resul Pookutty :)

Last edited:
a.r RAHMAN , well i can tell you its not even his average work of art. But still got the Oscar, This guy is genius , super cool ,
Well as for poverty issue. cant hide it, but the movie teaches you how the war of life can be won even when every thing is up against you. Way to go . . . . things look better for indian cinema here after.

Before even bothering to go through most of the rant in the thread I can say you have not seen the movie.
Its obvious and a known fact that when pople cant achieve something, they complain. And thats what Pakistanis are doing right now. If they are so concerned about Indian poverty, they should know that all the money colleceted by the film is being donated to charity, so much for selling poverty.
Good intellects will look at it "beyond selling poverty". Which is doubtful and not surprising from what I have read above.

Yes their is poverty in India, and also in Pakistan and in America and in Europe. But unlike the rest of the world, poor in India are not waiting for the last breath. ON the contrary, there is immense resilience, and a desire for existence. Every poor person, is trying to do something to make a difference to their lives, with much assistance from their state.
The movie reflects that strongly.

Last edited:
Before even bothering to go through most of the rant in the thread I can say you have not seen the movie.

I'm pretty sure that's directed towards me. If that's the case, then I must tell you that I've seen the Movie. Which basically means that rest of your post doesn't matter since you lost your credibility in the first line. Don't make such an Imbecilic assumption next time.

Oh and by the way, This thread isn't a rant. Give "Reading" A try before you make yourself sound like a complete Moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom