What's new

Should Pakistan acquire more C-130?

wali87

Reaction score
It is rather odd that the Airforce hasn't made efforts to enhance or increase its tactical lift fleet. I think we have around 18 planes and considering some of them are from the 70s and 80s, its about time we got some new of these C130s. Its a proven aircraft and PAF is well acquainted with it.

Guys whats your take on this issue.?

Well we wont see any transport Aircraft anytime soon in PAF...
1 lack of funds
2 we acquired IL-78 from Ukrain recently
Rockwell Collins to support Pakistani C-130 fleet

clear.gif

clear.gif

Rockwell Collins will deliver 11C-130E model kits and 5 C-130B integrated avionics suites and kits to Pakistan. U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Harry Brexel

WASHINGTON, Jan. 19 (UPI) -- Rockwell Collins has received a $30 million contract to provide manufacturing and technical services for the Pakistan Air Force's fleet of C-130 aircraft.

In addition to technical support, training and installation services, the contract also includes the delivery of 11 C-130E model kits and five C-130B integrated avionics suites and kits. The company will also be tasked with developing a consolidated flight manual for C-130 E and B variants, as well as checklists and maintenance supplements to help the PAF sustain their fleet.

Work on the contract, which comes through a foreign military sale to Pakistan, will be performed at the Nur Khan Base in Islamabad.

C-130 aircraft are designed for transportation of troops, equipment and additional supplies, and are also used for humanitarian and disaster relief missions.

The undefinitized contract action was a sole-source acquisition. The labor will be conducted at Pakistan’s Nur Khan Air Force base, and should be finished by Dec. 31, 2020.

SO In Future
can we move for these :P Antonov Offered An-225 production line to Pakistan we can ask for An-178.

Or we Can move for these

Y-20

Y-30

Y-9

pakistani c130 have just been upgraded which gives them 15 more years life in them, they are doing very well. the only problem is the il-78, its very thristy! and thats it.

LOL dude, as i was reading the news in your post i was actually trying to figure the 'model kits' part. Good sense of humor though hahaha.

Btw I don't think Y20 and Y9 can take off and land in all kinds of terrain that the c130 does. Not sure about AN225.
What PaF needs a plane that can operate on short runaways and with a significant amount of payload. Only plane that comes to my mind in that case is AirbusA400.

image-40376-panoV9-sxzc-40376.jpg

This could be the future.

Xian Y-20 platform is quite appropriate

maxresdefault.jpg

Exceptional design & Jet Engines

2i0wswj.jpg

While not high priority having 10 more transport planes would be good so that the load on C130 can be balanced

Or 3 C130 J would be nice addition its a tried and tested platform
hercules3.jpg

I like the Chinese Transport planes as it has Jet Engines , perhaps newer avionics and technology

C130 J would however would be alternative , since we have not got a Transport plane recently

We need about 10 , to take off the load on the old 70's 80's C130 , perhaps service them fully

2 - Y20
3- C130J
5 - AM400

AM400 doing some good work
1200x-1.jpg

F-WWMT-Airbus-Military-Airbus-A400_PlanespottersNet_125046.jpg

Last edited:
Any aircraft with tanker capability would be most welcome especially if it can refuel our F-16s.

Last edited:
Just surprised that we have not purchased a Tanker for F16 fleet most air-forces have a tanker for their F16 fleet

I would imagine attain 2 Tankers with US program would be ideal they might be retiring 1-2 Tankers

There has been some recent acquisitions
1. 4 Il78s
2. 4 C235s
3. Upgrade of existing 16-18 C130Hs.

I don't see an interest in PAF to acquire new platforms in near short term.
But in medium to long term, its better to start planning now.

In the short-to-medium term the PAF might pursue 1 or 2 boom-capable in-flight refuelling aircraft. It may be more prudent for it to pursue the A330 MRTT. While it is expensive ($250mn+ a unit), it can support the F-16s as well as the JF-17s. Long-term, I think the C-130s and IL-78s could be replaced by Y-30 and Y-20, respectively.

Why is it that the Tanker costs so much we have PIA just get one of its planes convert it from inside to be used as a tanker , after the sale no one will need those extra planes

1e6bc420-c323-11e5-9470-02ccb8a86a3c-1020x512.jpg

Red-Flag-2010-Pakistan-Airforce-PAF-F-16-48.jpg

Quite a difficult technique to refuel F16 , the JF17 thunder has a much simple mechanism to allow pilots to connect to the fuel line

Last edited:
PAF originally wanted the A310 MRTT. That would've been an amazing option considering PIA had experience operating the aircraft and that the conversion kit was cheap (like $20-30mn a unit).

Unfortunately, by the time the PAF asked, Airbus had stopped offering that and instead pushed the A330 MRTT to the PAF. It is expensive ($250mn a unit), but it does include a brand new A330, which could easily be used for multiple key mission roles, such as cargo, humanitarian relief, MEDEVAC, and standard tanker duties.

One alternative, which is going to sound strange, is to ask the U.S. for 3 KC-46 Pegasus. Japan ordered 3 in October 2015 for about $173mn a unit. Since it is a brand new system, the PAF can buy it slowly, e.g. 1 aircraft every 3-5 years.

The PAF can troll Senator Corker by explaining that the Pegasus purchase is to bolster the PAF's humanitarian relief capabilities :) ... as well as to support the PAF's participation in coalition activities, MEDEVAC, general cargo, etc.

LOL dude, as i was reading the news in your post i was actually trying to figure the 'model kits' part. Good sense of humor though hahaha.

Btw I don't think Y20 and Y9 can take off and land in all kinds of terrain that the c130 does. Not sure about AN225.
What PaF needs a plane that can operate on short runaways and with a significant amount of payload. Only plane that comes to my mind in that case is AirbusA400.

image-40376-panoV9-sxzc-40376.jpg

This could be the future.

can you please elaborate the Terrain that you mention for Y-20 and Y-9

Asalam O Alikum

or Pakistan can just get these and save it self from getting new kind of planes with new engines maintenance schedules etc

CARTS_01_1267828237_2969.jpg
CARTS_02_1267828237_9073.jpg
CARTS_03_1267828237_9621.jpg
CARTS_04_1267828237_5725.jpg

Regards

That would work with only our Block-52+ (it needs CFT), no IFR for the MLUs.

Back
Top Bottom