What's new

Should Pak-Afghan border be fenced?

Nasir

Reaction score
Afghanistan opposes fencing border with Pakistan

Afghanistan Tuesday repeated its firm opposition to fencing border with Pakistan.

"We are against fencing or erecting barriers on the Durand Line and would not accept it," Afghan Presidential spokesman Mohammad Karim Rahimi told newsmen at a press briefing.

He made these remarks just days after suggesting fencing border with Afghanistan by Pakistani Foreign Minister Khurshid Mahmoud Kasuri.

Khurshid Kasuri, according to media reports at a joint press conference with his Dutch counterpart Bernhard Bot on Sunday, stressed the need to seal the border with Afghanistan saying it could be fenced and jointly monitored in order to check terrorist activities.

Spokesperson of Pakistan's Foreign Ministry Tasneem Aslam, according to media report, also said Monday that Islamabad had proposed fencing and selectively mining the 2,500 km porous border with Afghanistan.

"Fencing the Durand Line or erecting barriers cannot curb terrorism except dividing the inhabitants of the people living on the both side of the line," Rahimi emphasized.

Demarcated in 1893 by the erstwhile British Empire, the Durand Line divides the Pashtun tribe which used to live on the both sides of the line over the past centuries.

Afghanistan's successive governments have not recognized the line as international border with the neighboring Pakistan.

Karimi also stressed that eliminating terrorism requires joint and coordinated struggle among Afghanistan, Pakistan and international community to target the root cause and breeding centers of terrorism but declined to name any specific country as the breeding center of terrorism.

Afghanistan officials often say that Taliban militants usually cross the Durand line and after conducting subversive activities go back to Pakistan, and such claim is rejected by Islamabad as groundless allegation.

h..ttp://english.people.com.cn/200611/07/eng20061107_319192.html

Hypocrisy knows no end on the Afghan side. They want end to the so-called 'infiltration' of Taliban sympathizers and in their words, the 'actual combatants' but when Pakistan proposes to fence the border so that it does not happen; they have issues with that also.

I'd say, 'dont complain then please'!

India has had a tough time fencing the LoC; the Durrand Line is way longer, is such a fencing even possible?

Hell yes, we'll mine the damn thing. Pakistan is looking to stop the flow of Afghanis into our country, not to stop few particular individuals. And unlike Pakistan in the case of the LOC, what the hell will the bloody Afghanis do.

I think its going to be a hell of a job .Fencing and Mining is going to time consuming,tedious and a costly job.

But well if Pakistan is committed it neednt or shouldnt wait or be bothered abt Afghanistan's views.

Yeh fencing is realy a difficult thing to maintain as in the case of LOC we had seen that despite heavy spending by India on the fence it destroyed in the quake.

but than i think minning is the option although costly. on the one hand Karzai is crying out and on the other not willing to fencing. it showes clearly they are having a lot of benefits from the open border.

And unlike Pakistan in the case of the LOC, what the hell will the bloody Afghanis do.
FYI the Pakistanis did nothing on the LOC too.

in the case of LOC we had seen that despite heavy spending by India on the fence it destroyed in the quake.
Minor damage repaired within weeks. :)

Well Sri dont have the data now buit when it happened also i had read somewhere that the some people opposed the idea of fencing LOC on the point that it was sheer wastage of money and they had faced losses in this regard heavly.

Of course some people are gonna oppose it. The press makes a living out of such people. So does it mean the Govt. will abandon policy decisions?

but than i think minning is the option although costly. on the one hand Karzai is crying out and on the other not willing to fencing. it showes clearly they are having a lot of benefits from the open border.

Why are u bothered abt what afhanistan says?its your land ,u do whatever u want.

India fenced its borders even after pak protested.

Mining the border would be more expensive but a very effictive solution as it would keep insurgencies away from either side so its a win-win situation for both.

Fences indeed can be repaired easily but detecting a mine is more difficult task.
We should go for it and kill every P I G that crosses the border illegally.

Do we produce mines btw?

Go easy on the mines, you'll end up attracting a lot of those NGO's who keep yapping all around the year.. :-S

They can go f**k themselves. Or they can agree to take the 6 million Afghanis.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom