What's new

Shahed-136 - Tracking usage & expanding understanding.

This post is not about the main title/subject of this thread but it can be considered as a consequnce of it. :D

Here is what I found..will add here for info:undecided::undecided:
A study of downed Iranian drones (the Russians wrote "Geran-2" on their boards) showed that they had many foreign components despite Iran's sanctions.

For example, the Shahed-131 UAV is the predecessor of the Shahed-136 version, and the two have similar working principles and the most unified main components.

Iranian drones used by Russia are equipped with U.S. components, and the guidance system is difficult to suppress with electronic warfare

Iranian drones used by Russia are equipped with U.S. components, and the guidance system is difficult to suppress with electronic warfare

The flight control unit of the Shahed-131 drone contains five custom printed circuit boards (PCBs) with Texas Instruments TMS320 F28335 processors, a set of highly integrated and efficient microcircuits for demanding control procedures.

The Engine Control Unit (ECU) contains a single circuit board with a Texas Instruments processor that monitors all engine characteristics during flight.

The electronic systems inside the drone are connected by wires with special markings, all markings in the UAS (production system) are written in English.

The electronic components of the drone are all civilian. From the point of view of the guidance system, there is only a civilian-grade GPS receiver, which allows the drone to specifically deal with stationary objects.

A system has been added to the GPS guidance system to prevent GPS signals from being jammed by electronic warfare (EW). A primitive inertial system is installed on the drone, which can maintain approximate heading and altitude if GPS navigation is disabled.

Therefore, the GPS guidance system of this UAV is difficult to suppress using electronic warfare.

https://inf.news/en/military/92ce2368d61455bcbd741c5bc15f7874.html

Here is what I found..will add here for info:undecided::undecided:
A study of downed Iranian drones (the Russians wrote "Geran-2" on their boards) showed that they had many foreign components despite Iran's sanctions.

For example, the Shahed-131 UAV is the predecessor of the Shahed-136 version, and the two have similar working principles and the most unified main components.

The flight control unit of the Shahed-131 drone contains five custom printed circuit boards (PCBs) with Texas Instruments TMS320 F28335 processors, a set of highly integrated and efficient microcircuits for demanding control procedures.

The Engine Control Unit (ECU) contains a single circuit board with a Texas Instruments processor that monitors all engine characteristics during flight.

The electronic systems inside the drone are connected by wires with special markings, all markings in the UAS (production system) are written in English.

The electronic components of the drone are all civilian. From the point of view of the guidance system, there is only a civilian-grade GPS receiver, which allows the drone to specifically deal with stationary objects.

A system has been added to the GPS guidance system to prevent GPS signals from being jammed by electronic warfare (EW). A primitive inertial system is installed on the drone, which can maintain approximate heading and altitude if GPS navigation is disabled.

Therefore, the GPS guidance system of this UAV is difficult to suppress using electronic warfare.

https://inf.news/en/military/92ce2368d61455bcbd741c5bc15f7874.html
it possible they also got some Shahed-131's as well

As far as I've seen, I've only see Shahed-136 components photographed in Ukraine, but maybe Geran-1 is supposed to be these more simple units.

Interesting morning in Ukraine. Missile strikes occurring all around Ukraine. I think they will probably use Geran-2's in unexpected places.

One of the main purposes of acquiring tech-transfer deal with Iran for Geran-2's is to reduce the burden on their missiles stockpile for this exact day. Russia does not want to wake up one day and find out that its military long arm is out of inventory.

Interesting morning in Ukraine. Missile strikes occurring all around Ukraine. I think they will probably use Geran-2's in unexpected places.

One of the main purposes of acquiring tech-transfer deal with Iran for Geran-2's is to reduce the burden on their missiles stockpile for this exact day. Russia does not want to wake up one day and find out that its military long arm is out of inventory.
In addition, Luments Airfield in Belarus is being upgraded, new shelters and systems have been transferred there, along with the claims that control points are being setup there for Geran-2's. The distance from this airbase to Kiev city is about 330km, Also to the western most border point in Ukraine is around 330km. If this is true, Russia will likely use these UAVs in conjunctions with recon UAVs acting as relay UAVs to guide these systems to their targets.

1665384220416.png

Russian Telegram channels saying that Geran-2's / Shahed-136s are being launched... video evidence will be easy to find if true as expected.

In addition, Luments Airfield in Belarus is being upgraded, new shelters and systems have been transferred there, along with the claims that control points are being setup there for Geran-2's. The distance from this airbase to Kiev city is about 330km, Also to the western most border point in Ukraine is around 330km. If this is true, Russia will likely use these UAVs in conjunctions with recon UAVs acting as relay UAVs to guide these systems to their targets.

View attachment 885999
Belarus claimed that Ukraine is preparing for an assault against the country using western supplied weapons.

Most probably Russia on the other side is already preparing to defend Belarus and avoid Ukrainian missiles from hitting Belarus and Russian bases in the country. Given the proximity of Ukraine to Belarus geographically, HIMARS launchers recently transferred to Ukrainian armed forces can pose a serious threat to Russian ally.

Loitering munitions such as Shahed/Geran are a must to hunt a mobile system like HIMARS. Therefore your post can be mentioned as a logical reaction of Russians.

Loitering munitions such as Shahed/Geran are a must to hunt a mobile system like HIMARS. Therefore your post can be mentioned as a logical reaction of Russians.
Understood your point, but Belarus is also a good launching point to use them for attack and interception of supply routes. Ukrainian media is reporting them being heard in Villages around Kiev!

these drones highlight how effective Iranian military doctrine is.

They cost around 20k a pop. That is peanuts for a pgm. Bang for the buck, they are the best pgms on earth right now. They have taken out 100s of million dollars worth of equipment. And virtually any air defense system that can take it out costs more then the actual shahed

And they saturate air defenses, and force them to expose their positions.

This is the perfect cheap PGM the Russian miliatry was lacking. This is a huge gamechanger

I imagine Iranian shahed factories have recieved 2 blank cheques from moscow.

1st one to upgrade anything they need to maxamize production, the second to buy any and all inventory they can make. The technicians better be lulling double and triple shifts to keep 24/7 production

This is going to help Irans defense industry. Not only will Iran be gaining strategic help in certain military tech, but also recieve Russian financial injections. Win win win for everybody

Understood your point, but Belarus is also a good launching point to use them for attack and interception of supply routes. Ukrainian media is reporting them being heard in Villages around Kiev!
Belarus has geographical advantages for Russia in this war, and so conveniently for RUssia that Belarus's integration into the Russian federation via the "union state " agreement between Russia and Belarus is in effect already.

And with how serious and high stakes this war is, i think its only a matter of time before Belarus enters the war, and Belarus is a large territory on its own IMO despite it looking small compared to Russia, so I think a Belarus involved in the war will mean NATO troops might be needed, if not Ukraine will get beaten into negotiations it will agree to.

They cost around 20k a pop. That is peanuts for a pgm. Bang for the buck, they are the best pgms on earth right now. They have taken out 100s of million dollars worth of equipment. And virtually any air defense system that can take it out costs more then the actual shahed

This is the perfect cheap PGM the Russian miliatry was lacking. This is a huge gamechanger

1st one to upgrade anything they need to maxamize production, the second to buy any and all inventory they can make. The technicians better be lulling double and triple shifts to keep 24/7 production

This is going to help Irans defense industry. Not only will Iran be gaining strategic help in certain military tech, but also recieve Russian financial injections. Win win win for everybody
Brother, its always a pleasure to read your posts, this is another nice one, i and i fully agree.

Talking about Iran's benefit from this relationship with Russia, let us call it what it is - This Ukraine war will FULLY INTEGRATED Russia and Iran at all strategic levels, and nothing else has been able to achieve this up until now (in modern times that is). I have never seen anything like it- Just announced today on telegram too is Russia investing $44bn in Iranian oil and gas infrastructure - Russia is investing in Iranian oil and gas today LIKE IT NEVER HAS before...that's critical, because Russia is a big energy player in the world that wasnt fully opening up to Iran in oil and gas up UNTIL NOW.

Ukraine is going to regret this war- Russia has China and Iran as backers?/ WHAAAT???????? only blockheads on PDF's ukraine war thread will deny the power of the Russia-Iran combination, then you factor in China???Smh, lets leave that for another episode..

Just announced today on telegram too is Russia investing $44bn in Iranian oil and gas infrastructure - Russia is investing in Iranian oil and gas today LIKE IT NEVER HAS before...that's critical, because Russia is a big energy player in the world that wasnt fully opening up to Iran in oil and gas up UNTIL NOW.
I thought only a MoU has been signed? Don't get me wrong - I'd be delighted if it was so but I'd be happy to see an official source confirm the beginning of this investment.

Only issue is engine domestically built copy or imported.

If imported than west will try to make it hard for Iran to procure more engines.

Moscow needs thousands of S-136 and that means thousands of drone prop engines.

I thought only a MoU has been signed? Don't get me wrong - I'd be delighted if it was so but I'd be happy to see an official source confirm the beginning of this investment.
this is the 2nd MOU, so total Russian investment amount is basically $80 - $100bn in Iranian energy...something must happen from that, especially when we understand the global power and energy dynamics situation currently and in the near future.

With EU being a downer market for Russian energy, it is natural for Russia to expand its energy footprint and infrastructure in other parts of the world...so here comes Iran...the real hydrocarbon juggernaut with LOTS of big potential in energy. But countries only invest in Iran when they are serious, India played games too and got kicked out of Farzad B oil field, that was dumb of India- shortsighted move for how much energy they will keep needing (unless they are ready in future to go to war for it, lol).

Back
Top Bottom