What's new

SD-10 vs AIM-120 (Latest versions)

All BVR does that to increase their range, in boost-glide phase, this glide phase means BVR goes ballistic @The Accountant
No brother, Only Meteor is capable of doing that or may be some russian missiles using Ramjet engines as they have variable thorrttle ... The AIM 120 C5s have a solid fuel rocket motor which do not have variable thrust and hence cannot increase or decrease thrust like Meteor ... so its useless to go upside and then attack on ballistic trajectory for a missile which has consistent thrust ...

Meteor on the contrary uses this approach as it has a variable thrust .. Initially it combines to a hight by using more thrust and then keep on gliding to get close to the target and than increase the thrust with the dive ... Thats how it can increase its range and save fuel while gliding... AIM 120 cannot save fuel while gliding therefore why would it waste fuel and time in going upwards? May be the attack trajectory would have been designed upside down but it cant be ballistic as ballistic means free falling which AIM 120 cant do as its motor once start cant be slowed whereas meteor's motor can be slowed as its ramjet engine ...

it does, please check again!

No brother, Only Meteor is capable of doing that or may be some russian missiles using Ramjet engines as they have variable thorrttle ... The AIM 120 C5s have a solid fuel rocket motor which do not have variable thrust and hence cannot increase or decrease thrust like Meteor ... so its useless to go upside and then attack on ballistic trajectory for a missile which has consistent thrust ...

Meteor on the contrary uses this approach as it has a variable thrust .. Initially it combines to a hight by using more thrust and then keep on gliding to get close to the target and than increase the thrust with the dive ... Thats how it can increase its range and save fuel while gliding... AIM 120 cannot save fuel while gliding therefore why would it waste fuel and time in going upwards? May be the attack trajectory would have been designed upside down but it cant be ballistic as ballistic means free falling which AIM 120 cant do as its motor once start cant be slowed whereas meteor's motor can be slowed as its ramjet engine ...
No you're all wrong, opposite are right, Ramjet has fixed thrust not has variable thrust and Ramjet stated at Mach-1 not in zero speed, Variable ducked Ramjet doesn't means Ram jet reduce it thrust in cruise and technically there is no glide phase on Meteor flight, because its Ram jet can produce thrust throughout flight, SIMPLE MEANING OF GLIDING IN AVIATION TERMS IS THAT AIRCRAFT OR MISSILES CAN GO TO DISTANT DISTANCE WITHOUT PROPULSIVE/ENGINE POWER (LIKE SPACE SHULTTLE upon reentering in earth atmosphere)

AMRAAM and other rocket powered BVR have dual thrust rocket motors, First after
launch first rocket motor works only for 5 seconds (boost phase) then second motor kicks in for 22 seconds to take BVR into its extreme altitude (after that second motor stop working and BVR enter into
glide mode) to extend it range (50,000 to 70,000 feet) because thinner atmosphere (low drag) and also increase its seeker range
And Meteor has similar procedure first rocket motor fire to take Meteor at Mach-1 than Ramjet takes over for rest of the flight So technically Meteor hasn't a glide Phase because of RAMJET,

I am sorry to say bro you no basic information aviation terms and technical aspects of BVRAAM
@The Accountant :angel:

No you're all wrong, opposite are right, Ramjet has fixed thrust not has variable thrust and Ramjet stated at Mach-1 not in zero speed, Variable ducked Ramjet doesn't means Ram jet reduce it thrust in cruise and technically there is no glide phase on Meteor flight, because its Ram jet can produce thrust throughout flight, SIMPLE MEANING OF GLIDING IN AVIATION TERMS IS THAT AIRCRAFT OR MISSILES CAN GO TO DISTANT DISTANCE WITHOUT PROPULSIVE/ENGINE POWER (LIKE SPACE SHULTTLE upon reentering in earth atmosphere)

launch first rocket motor works only for 5 seconds (boost phase) then second motor kicks in for 22 seconds to take BVR into its extreme altitude (after that second motor stop working and BVR enter into
glide mode) to extend it range (50,000 to 70,000 feet) because thinner atmosphere (low drag) and also increase its seeker range
And Meteor has similar procedure first rocket motor fire to take Meteor at Mach-1 than Ramjet takes over for rest of the flight So technically Meteor hasn't a glide Phase because of RAMJET,

I am sorry to say bro you no basic information aviation terms and technical aspects of BVRAAM

By increasing the fonts, changing the color your argument will not get value ...

I might or might not know about missile technology but you for sure don't understand the basics of physics ... You are interchangeably using the concepts of glide and ballistic which is nothing but stupid .... A ballistic trajectory is curved in nature and generally is a close to free fall in its terminal phase ... Gliding is, on the contrary, is to travel using wings and air ... There are reasons that glide bombs are different than ballistic missiles ...

I never argue that BVR missiles do not glide ... You should read the discussion from start rather than jumping into the conclusion in the middle without reading the start ... THe discussion with the guy quoting that AIM 120 speed is Mach 6 to which I disagree that a solid fuel motor cannot produce enough thrust to go for Mach 6 then he came with an argument that AIM 120 goes to Mach 6 as it goes ballistics whereas you are saying that it glides ...
Now you should decide first whether AIM 120 gets glide or follow ballistic trajectory between the switching of the pulses , furthermore, kindly also tell me even if it has ballistic trajectory (which i don't agree) how the hell it can gain 50% acceleration in just 25 to 30 seconds?

Last edited:
Hi,

"SD 10 will indeed grow up to become an aim 120 in maybe the next 10 years---but today---it has to endure many a growing pains that only a missile can bear".

I believe that Chogy made it very clear in his post what it is all about---over here we put a post on the board---and all the kids dig up the specs from different web-sites----and strut around their posts as they have found their own new god.

Truthfully---there is hardly any comparison between an SD 10 and an AIM 120---.

SD 10 is a first true bvr by the chinese---aim 120 has a pedigree a sheet long---. It is not saying bad about the missile---but seems like it is becoming a habbit of my pak colleagues of MAKING A MONSTER OUT OF A MONKEY.

SD 10 will indeed grow up to become an aim 120 in maybe the next 10 years---but today---it has to endure many a growing pains that only a missile can bear.

Hi,

10 years indeed---the chinese missile has proven itself---.

By increasing the fonts, changing the color your argument will not get value ...

I might or might not know about missile technology but you for sure don't understand the basics of physics ... You are interchangeably using the concepts of glide and ballistic which is nothing but stupid .... A ballistic trajectory is curved in nature and generally is a close to free fall in its terminal phase ... Gliding is, on the contrary, is to travel using wings and air ... There are reasons that glide bombs are different than ballistic missiles ...

I never argue that BVR missiles do not glide ... You should read the discussion from start rather than jumping into the conclusion in the middle without reading the start ... THe discussion with the guy quoting that AIM 120 speed is Mach 6 to which I disagree that a solid fuel motor cannot produce enough thrust to go for Mach 6 then he came with an argument that AIM 120 goes to Mach 6 as it goes ballistics whereas you are saying that it glides ...
Now you should decide first whether AIM 120 gets glide or follow ballistic trajectory between the switching of the pulses , furthermore, kindly also tell me even if it has ballistic trajectory (which i don't agree) how the hell it can gain 50% acceleration in just 25 to 30 seconds?
I was answering to your that statement that you say Meteor can glide which is wrong, Meteor can't glide because its powered by Ramjet only AMRAAM class missile can glide because its second duel pulse rocket motor stop working from initial boost, and it has a semi ballistic flight trajectories at certain cases, but its speed is not hyper-sonic but high supersonic (Mach-4+) only few BVRAAM reported to have hyper-sonic speed like US (retired) AIM-154 Phonix, Russian extreme range BVR like R-37 Arrow and Chinese VLRAAM @The Accountant

I was answering to your that statement that you say Meteor can glide which is wrong, Meteor can't glide because its powered by Ramjet only AMRAAM class missile can glide because its second duel pulse rocket motor stop working from initial boost, and it has a semi ballistic flight trajectories at certain cases, but its speed is not hyper-sonic but high supersonic (Mach-4+) only few BVRAAM reported to have hyper-sonic speed like US (retired) AIM-154 Phonix, Russian extreme range BVR like R-37 Arrow and Chinese VLRAAM @The Accountant
First of all there is nothing known as semi ballistic trajectory ... a trajectory can be ballistic or not ballostic there is no concept of semi ballistic trajectory ... dont create new concept just to prove your point ?

Again u r using your own definition of glide ... glide does not necessary means that a missile has to switch off the engine ... for example sometime an aircraft keep on gliding to lower the altitude without switching off the engine ... meteor use different type of flight profile depending on target and its distance ... theoratically it can glide but actual configuration is confidential ...

Last but not the least u were wrongly answering a statement without a context therefore it was all wrong ...

First of all there is nothing known as semi ballistic trajectory ... a trajectory can be ballistic or not ballostic there is no concept of semi ballistic trajectory ... dont create new concept just to prove your point ?

Again u r using your own definition of glide ... glide does not necessary means that a missile has to switch off the engine ... for example sometime an aircraft keep on gliding to lower the altitude without switching off the engine ... meteor use different type of flight profile depending on target and its distance ... theoratically it can glide but actual configuration is confidential ...

Last but not the least u were wrongly answering a statement without a context therefore it was all wrong ...
Bro bro, i have sorry to say you know nothing about missile trajectories knowledge, GLIDE MEANS WITHOUT ENGINE POWER (thrust) like BM warheads (reentry vehicles)
Although the human application of gliding flight usually refers to aircraft designed for this purpose, most powered aircraft are capable of gliding without engine power.

to evade ABM there are a tech called BOOST GLIDE VEHICLES (WARHEADS OF ICBMs),
real term is for Semi Ballistic Trajectories is (quasi Ballistic Trajectories)

Depressed trajectory[edit]
Throw-weight is normally calculated using an optimal ballistic trajectory from one point on the surface of the Earth to another. An optimal trajectory maximizes the total payload (throw-weight) using the available impulse of the missile. By reducing the payload weight, different trajectories can be selected which either extends the nominal range, or decreases the total time in flight. A depressed trajectory is a non-optimal, lower and flatter trajectory which takes less time between launch and impact, but with a lower throw-weight. The primary reasons to choose a depressed trajectory are either to evade anti-ballistic missile systems by reducing the time available to shoot down the attacking vehicle (especially during the vulnerable burn-phase against space-based ABM systems), or in a nuclear first-strike scenario.[9] An alternate, non-military, purpose for a depressed trajectory is in conjunction with the space plane concept with use of air-breathing engines, which requires the ballistic missile to remain sufficiently low inside the atmosphere for air-breathing engines to function.

you are confused with cruise mode and glide @The Accountant

Bro bro, i have sorry to say you know nothing about missile trajectories knowledge, GLIDE MEANS WITHOUT ENGINE POWER (thrust) like BM warheads (reentry vehicles)
Although the human application of gliding flight usually refers to aircraft designed for this purpose, most powered aircraft are capable of gliding without engine power.

to evade ABM there are a tech called BOOST GLIDE VEHICLES (WARHEADS OF ICBMs),
real term is for Semi Ballistic Trajectories is (quasi Ballistic Trajectories)

Depressed trajectory[edit]
Throw-weight is normally calculated using an optimal ballistic trajectory from one point on the surface of the Earth to another. An optimal trajectory maximizes the total payload (throw-weight) using the available impulse of the missile. By reducing the payload weight, different trajectories can be selected which either extends the nominal range, or decreases the total time in flight. A depressed trajectory is a non-optimal, lower and flatter trajectory which takes less time between launch and impact, but with a lower throw-weight. The primary reasons to choose a depressed trajectory are either to evade anti-ballistic missile systems by reducing the time available to shoot down the attacking vehicle (especially during the vulnerable burn-phase against space-based ABM systems), or in a nuclear first-strike scenario.[9] An alternate, non-military, purpose for a depressed trajectory is in conjunction with the space plane concept with use of air-breathing engines, which requires the ballistic missile to remain sufficiently low inside the atmosphere for air-breathing engines to function.

you are confused with cruise mode and glide @The Accountant
Now Ballistic missiles also glides ... Good thumps up ...

I really dont know this physics ... I give up as nobody can wins when you can change the definition of basic concepts of physics that suits your arguments ...

Now Ballistic missiles also glides ... Good thumps up ...

I really dont know this physics ... I give up as nobody can wins when you can change the definition of basic concepts of physics that suits your arguments ...
you're not trying to understand, Warhead section (reentry vehicle) can glide, specially to avoid ABM systems, ever heard of MANEUVERABLE WARHEAD, BOOST GLIDE VEHICLE are you have a comprehension problem @The Accountant o_O

you're not trying to understand, Warhead section (reentry vehicle) can glide, specially to avoid ABM systems, ever heard of MANEUVERABLE WARHEAD, BOOST GLIDE VEHICLE are you have a comprehension problem @The Accountant o_O
Bro u need to check that ... booast glide vehicles are not balliatic missiles they r a different category ...

Anyways i m not interested in carrying on this conversation as you r adding new points just to make your point i was referring to gliding of ballistic missiles and now u r including a totally new missile type (glide behicles) in ballistic missile category just to prove me wrong ...

Lets close this useless discussion

Bro u need to check that ... booast glide vehicles are not balliatic missiles they r a different category ...

Anyways i m not interested in carrying on this conversation as you r adding new points just to make your point i was referring to gliding of ballistic missiles and now u r including a totally new missile type (glide behicles) in ballistic missile category just to prove me wrong ...

Lets close this useless discussion
From my first post to explain the subject i always tell you Ballistic Missile's Warhead that can glide, where did i say Ballistic Missile can glide, that you are not understanding, and boost glide vehicle can also glide, its warhead section of Ballistic missiles and have no engine @The Accountant :crazy::crazy::crazy:

From my first post to explain the subject i always tell you Ballistic Missile's Warhead that can glide, where did i say Ballistic Missile can glide, that you are not understanding, and boost glide vehicle can also glide, its warhead section of Ballistic missiles and have no engine @The Accountant :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I dont know whats your problem and why u keep quoting me uselessly ...

You are raping basic concepts of physics ... if a warhead of a ballistic missile can glide than it will not remain a ballistic missile as ballistic missile is supposed to follow a ballistic trajectory with only small adjustments or course corrections ... if u are insisting on calling a glide vehicle a ballistic missile than be happy and call whatever u want ...

I m done arguing u ...

I dont know whats your problem and why u keep quoting me uselessly ...

You are raping basic concepts of physics ... if a warhead of a ballistic missile can glide than it will not remain a ballistic missile as ballistic missile is supposed to follow a ballistic trajectory with only small adjustments or course corrections ... if u are insisting on calling a glide vehicle a ballistic missile than be happy and call whatever u want ...

I m done arguing u ...
I just gave example Reentry vehicle, Space shuttle boost glide vehicle can glide For AMRAAM can also glide but Meteor can't glide because of Ramjet powers meteor throughout flight, and where i say that i telling you that i consider Vehicle as WHOLE BALLISTIC MISSILES, you FALSELY assume that i consider Vehicle as a WHOLE BALLISTIC MISSILES, that shows you you know nothing basic component of BALLISTIC MISSILES, i Used term REENTRY VEHICLE to only WARHEAD SECTION of BALLISTIC MISSILE, which separate from BALLISTIC MISSILE at TERMINAL phase and GLIDE, are you trolling me @The Accountant :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::crazy::crazy::crazy:o_O

I just gave example Reentry vehicle, Space shuttle boost glide vehicle can glide For AMRAAM can also glide but Meteor can't glide because of Ramjet powers meteor throughout flight, and where i say that i telling you that i consider Vehicle as WHOLE BALLISTIC MISSILES, you FALSELY assume that i consider Vehicle as a WHOLE BALLISTIC MISSILES, that shows you you know nothing basic component of BALLISTIC MISSILES, i Used term REENTRY VEHICLE to only WARHEAD SECTION of BALLISTIC MISSILE, which separate from BALLISTIC MISSILE at TERMINAL phase and GLIDE, are you trolling me @The Accountant :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::crazy::crazy::crazy:o_O
Stop quoting me otherwise i will have no choice to block u ... i m done arguing with u

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom