What's new

Sargodha Surprise, F-104 Pilot Sunglasses

After much effort and deliberation by some family members, I have managed to acquire a pair of Sunglasses with some history attached to them. My late dear father who served in the Pakistan Army Aviation Wing during 1965 war, operating out of Damial Camp, today known as Qasam Air Base. They often had to fly into various PAF bases mostly Sargodha as back then it was the main hub of operations. It was there, my father got to know some F-104 Starfighter pilots amongst others. One such Starfighter pilot showed his appreciation by gifting my father a pair of his personal Sunglasses that were issued to PAF Aviators and were much sought after by others. Anyways eventually after some search and efforts, I have finally managed to acquire those Glasses.
Although, I understand that the company, American Optics still exists although I have been unable to find any of their products in UK.

View attachment 749281

View attachment 749282
AO still sells aviators, maybe not the same MIL ones. They used to issue a free pair every year to pilots, we've had over 30 pairs at home.........

Quality stuff. And great legacy for you to get a hold onto one of those originals.

AO still sells aviators, maybe not the same MIL ones. They used to issue a free pair every year to pilots, we've had over 30 pairs at home.........

Quality stuff. And great legacy for you to get a hold onto one of those originals.
Not every year, but every 5 years. I have 3 from my dad's collection. He gave away rest to friends n family.

*** I am talking about PAF.
After much effort and deliberation by some family members, I have managed to acquire a pair of Sunglasses with some history attached to them. My late dear father who served in the Pakistan Army Aviation Wing during 1965 war, operating out of Damial Camp, today known as Qasam Air Base. They often had to fly into various PAF bases mostly Sargodha as back then it was the main hub of operations. It was there, my father got to know some F-104 Starfighter pilots amongst others. One such Starfighter pilot showed his appreciation by gifting my father a pair of his personal Sunglasses that were issued to PAF Aviators and were much sought after by others. Anyways eventually after some search and efforts, I have finally managed to acquire those Glasses.
Although, I understand that the company, American Optics still exists although I have been unable to find any of their products in UK.

View attachment 749281

View attachment 749282
Here are mine (or my Father’s).
This is the first pair issued to him Jan 22nd, 1963.

8D2338CC-C063-48BC-8C98-2BDCEE21D3CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom