What's new

If you find a missing F-35, please call 843-963-3600

Why fly without it, in the CONUS, especially when the risk of civilian traffic is ever present and it’s not on the way to combat deployment?
Probably training. It's not uncommon for it to happen. In virtually all air to air and SEAD training they don't have those equipped

What I wonder is - why did the pilot jump?
Controls were not working?

Clearly he wasn't about to crash anytime soon if it flew for so long.
Exactly, and the pilot wasn’t hurt (reportedly in stable condition at the hospital) much so he probably wasn’t hurt in any major way that he needed on bail. Guess we wait for the report in an about a year.

Maybe it was a runaway AI System, as we will fin out in a sequel to the 2005 film Stealth.

Nightly News Full Broadcast - Sept. 18​

Debris field located by team looking for missing F-35 fighter jet in South Carolina; Five Americans imprisoned for years in Iran finally free; Hunter Biden suing IRS, alleging agency sought to damage his reputation; and more on tonight’s broadcast.

Anyone seen my F-35? US searches for fighter jet after mishap​

Mon, September 18, 2023 at 10:41 AM PDT·

maxresdefault.jpg

WASHINGTON, Sept 18 (Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Monday it was still searching for an F-35 fighter jet after a mishap on Sunday near an air base in South Carolina and has asked for the public's help locating it.

The pilot of the F-35B Lightning II jet ejected safely from the aircraft, according to a statement from Joint Base Charleston.

"If you have any information that may help our recovery teams locate the F-35, please call the Base Defense Operations Center at 843-963-3600," the base said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

The fighter jet's main advantages, according to its manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, are that it is nearly impossible to track with radar and is packed with advanced sensors and other gear.

Based on the jet's last known position, the base said search efforts were focused north of the base around Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion. That could suggest the plane may have crashed in water, which would make it difficult to locate.

The FAA referred queries on the issue to the U.S. military.

So stealthy, even US itself can not find them now, this is whole new level of being stealthy.

Seems they found a great place to lose stuff

I bet that even in such remote areas, there's bound to be someone who sees a plume of smoke or the thing flying overhead etc. Hard to believe it would go unnoticed for any length of time TBH, unless it crashes in deep waters.

Plus, all the resources the Marine Corps and military in general has for SAR and other types of aerial recon, probably the reason why they found it quickly.

This new breed of fighter pilots is trained to bail out sooner than later. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the crazy amount of internal fuel this thing carries, even if the B has less than the A because of the internal lift fan and certainly less than the larger of the three in the C model, it still carries a lot of fuel. Pilot is worth more than the aircraft.

Never seen any known aircrafts boast such a high crash rate.

Ah come on lol. Out of a current 3,334 operational F-35s out there (give or take since I'm not sure all the orders have been completed) and only 7 have had mishaps (of which some of those were repairable and not total losses) is a pretty good success rate. Especially considering how technologically advanced and different it is compared to conventional fighters. It doesn't even have a HUD like the J-20 & F-22 and all others do. So training is specific with no other comparable platforms.

Does China report any military accidents? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to flame bait or anything like that. Many countries hide their losses for obvious reasons.

Does China report any military accidents? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to flame bait or anything like that. Many countries hide their losses for obvious reasons.
Come on man, in an age that everyone has a camera phone which basically turns everyone into a reporter, no crashes can be hidden from public eyes, you've been brainwashed too much thinking that China hides everything, just like some people believe Chinese police just randomly execute people on the street when almost no police in China even carry guns.

Come on man, in an age that everyone has a camera phone which basically turns everyone into a reporter, no crashes can be hidden from public eyes, you've been brainwashed too much thinking that China hides everything, just like some people believe Chinese police just randomly execute people on the street when almost no police in China even carry guns.

Come on, maaaan. None of the sshhhtuuff you said about me personally is true. I am as objective as can be about everything. I praise and criticize equally.

If the authorities didn't come out and claim debris has been found and no one took any pics, think of how easy it would've been to isolate that remote area and hide any info about this. The US military most likely does that quite a bit with certain things, we just don't know about them.

And with China's vast, mountainous & unpopulated remote areas (not to mention its tight control of info) could easily do the same. Same thing in the ol' country; Egypt is notorious for hiding things like this, especially crashes. That's why I was asking.

Ah come on lol. Out of a current 3,334 operational F-35s out there (give or take since I'm not sure all the orders have been completed) and only 7 have had mishaps (of which some of those were repairable and not total losses) is a pretty good success rate. Especially considering how technologically advanced and different it is compared to conventional fighters. It doesn't even have a HUD like the J-20 & F-22 and all others do. So training is specific with no other comparable platforms.

In fact, 965 aircraft have been delivered so far. According to the annual production plan given by Lockheed Martin, it will take about 20 years to complete the delivery of a total of 3,334 aircraft.

What's the difference?
A joke for someone who thinks it's funny
Fake news for someone that doesn't
You've a small d*ck.

^This is a joke but not necessarily fake news. There's a fine line, you should know.

Come on, maaaan. None of the sshhhtuuff you said about me personally is true. I am as objective as can be about everything. I praise and criticize equally.

If the authorities didn't come out and claim debris has been found and no one took any pics, think of how easy it would've been to isolate that remote area and hide any info about this. The US military most likely does that quite a bit with certain things, we just don't know about them.

And with China's vast, mountainous & unpopulated remote areas (not to mention its tight control of info) could easily do the same. Same thing in the ol' country; Egypt is notorious for hiding things like this, especially crashes. That's why I was asking.
Actually the most high profile crash in China was this one, the girl was the first female J-10 pilot, was on Chinese TV numerous times and was already a household name in China. After the accident many on the Chinese social media argue that a high profile celebrity like her should've never been tasked with flying missions again, she could have just solely served as a national role model for the young.

I believe this crash should really be kept under the wraps, so demoralizing to the nation.

Almost a decade passed since the crash, Chinese fans still pay tribute to her on the Chinese social media on her anniversary every year.

Back
Top Bottom