What's new

Featured Russia Teases 'Fundamentally New' Military Aircraft to Be Unveiled

According to the press service of the state corporation Rostec: It belongs to the fifth generation and includes support for the pilot's work by means of artificial intelligence. In addition, the fighter has a low footprint and high flight performance. Supercomputer technologies were widely used in the work on the LTS Checkmate project. The list of orders for the new light fighter can reach 300 fighters..

It won't exceed $40 million..The Mig-35 with two engines is around $45 million..
Mig 35 is 4.5 gen and it will be 5th gen jet

I think its is look like more combination of X 32/YF 23, i am not saying that it is based on those 2 designs but in my point of you CheckMate has a wings like YF 23 and tails/ intake like X 32, but its nosecone is more conventional than any other 5th gen jets
second design by the MIG is looks like it is based upon MIG 1.44 design of 80s by Soviet/Russians

Last edited:
Also, the lack of horizontal stabilizers was a little perplexing to me at first since I'm sure others who watch a lot of fighters flying as well can notice how much the H-stabs are used to control pitch, even rolls and banking turns etc. The H-stabs are super valuable and play a huge role in an aircraft's maneuverability. Just on takeoffs alone, once the aircraft reaches rotating speed, the ever so slight pull back of the stick lifts the H-stabs just a tad bit and that's enough to raise the nose, bring more airspeed under the wing and immediately creates lift allowing the plane to instantaneously take off.

Suddenly we have an aircraft with essentially the same wing pattern as the Su-57 but sans the H-stabs which is conflicting TBH.

View attachment 763940

View attachment 763941

But then I thought of mostly delta aircraft (not delta/canards, just delta) like Mirages or Delta Dagger etc. They had no issues whatsoever essentially using their ailerons only on their delta wings to substitute for the function of the H-stabs and they did them very well. Looking at the two pics above, one can't help but think the Checkmate is missing something without the H-stabs and will take a while to get used to even when we saw the YF-23 perform incredibly well with essentially the same layout. However, in the YF-23, the canted stabilators were set at a much steeper angle than what we see here on the Checkmate. It was almost like they took the flat 180 degree of a standard H-stab and a standard pitched or canted vertical stabilizer (like what it would be on the F-18 or Su-57) and then split the difference and set them right in the middle middle angle of those two to compensate for the most of both angles. But it doesn't look like we see that here on the Checkmate and that the angle of the V-stabs is that of a normally pitched or canted vertical stabilizer. Strange that they didn't pitch those stabs a bit more but they should work just fine if the ailerons are large enough to compensate for the lack of H-stabs and the current angle of the V-stabs.
It's not conventional but you can see the elevator between the vertical tails.

I don't know about the J-20, but I'm sure you know the Su-57 that is specifically being displayed at MAKS 2021 is designated the Su-57E? E as for Export and they've been touting this marketing plan to export a version of it for many years, now.

I'm sure there will be at least 2 countries, if not 3 that would be very interested and well capable of purchasing that aircraft. The only question remains is if it's $85 mill per AC or $100 mill.
EXactly, plus CHina has already built over 150 J-20s, so China doesnt IMO have an issue producing them, China just doesnt want to sell them to foreigners, at least not yet, but US and EU dont do that easily either,:
1626895133233.png

EXactly, plus CHina has already built over 150 J-20s, so China doesnt IMO have an issue producing them, China just doesnt want to sell them to foreigners, at least not yet, but US and EU dont do that easily either,:
View attachment 764177
lol wiki is unreliable source, according to Chinese defense sections various Chinese senior and professional members there are 50+ J20 in PLAAF

Lol..! Hopefully this is not to imply that the Russians has successfully stolen a tabletop plastic display model of a non-existent US fighter jet and turn it into reality...! 😆

That said this Northrop model looks a lot like a scaled down single engine version of their YF-23...

The Mig models looks soo outdated though... no way it will ever turn into something more than this display models.. *sigh* how the once mighty Mig bureau has fallen... sad..

Northrop was interested in pitching single engine YF-23 design based fighter but they were late and LM won with their X-35.

Let's worry about it when it flies...frankly I think this was a stupid idea on part of the Russians to release the idea before it even materializes, they've alerted the europeans and the pentagoonians to their plans. If they wanted to attract investments from development partners then they should've bilaterally approached reliable partners like China, Pakistan & maybe even ksA.

It's not conventional but you can see the elevator between the vertical tails.

Someone mentioned those little ends on the bases of the canted stabilators as "elevators" that can act in place of H-stabs, but honestly, there is nothing -- so far at least -- that would suggest those things even move, let alone act as somewhat substitutes for H-tabs and give the aircraft pitch and roll ability. They also have radiation emblems on them (if I'm not mistaken on the part) and so that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a rear-facing radar like the Russian typically do with their aircraft and certainly on the Su-57 and now this one and then have it in a movable surface? Doesn't make sense TBH.

Wow, 150 J-20s have been built already? I know the Chinese have been unbelievable at the pace they've been moving at with that incredible aircraft, but I'm not sure about that number, to be perfectly honest with you. That is A LOT of J-20s and I would be surprised if they were even around 50 so far. Either way, great for them and this is what we like to see, great, worldwide competition between the big-dogs out there.

This thing just has all the great looks of that Russian innovation we've all been looking for and never really got from the Su-57 because of the impact the F-22 left behind. In this case, the F-35 hasn't influenced the looks of this aircraft to the same degree that we had with the PAK-FA.

1626906726521.png

Wow, 150 J-20s have been built already? I know the Chinese have been unbelievable at the pace they've been moving at with that incredible aircraft, but I'm not sure about that number, to be perfectly honest with you. That is A LOT of J-20s and I would be surprised if they were even around 50 so far. Either way, great for them and this is what we like to see, great, worldwide competition between the big-dogs out there.
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 3.36.50 PM.png

Someone mentioned those little ends on the bases of the canted stabilators as "elevators" that can act in place of H-stabs, but honestly, there is nothing -- so far at least -- that would suggest those things even move, let alone act as somewhat substitutes for H-tabs and give the aircraft pitch and roll ability. They also have radiation emblems on them (if I'm not mistaken on the part) and so that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a rear-facing radar like the Russian typically do with their aircraft and certainly on the Su-57 and now this one and then have it in a movable surface? Doesn't make sense TBH.

This thing just has all the great looks of that Russian innovation we've all been looking for and never really got from the Su-57 because of the impact the F-22 left behind. In this case, the F-35 hasn't influenced the looks of this aircraft to the same degree that we had with the PAK-FA.

View attachment 764231

A 21st Century Mig-21. Not bad if it can form the basis of Loyal Wingman drones.

I feel that Algeria is going to buy a huge number of them.

Last edited:

I suppose "military analysts" can estimate whatever number works for them and no one can really question them! Too bad China itself doesn't divulge that kind of info so we get it straight from the horse's mouth! lol

A 21st Century Mig-21. Not bad if it can form the basis of Loyal Wingman drones.

Well the presentation claimed it can be a manned and unmanned aircraft and with AI and in the latter role, can be quite the loyal wingman. I like the 21st century MiG-21, not the first time I've heard that since the inception of this thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom