What's new

Featured Russia Teases 'Fundamentally New' Military Aircraft to Be Unveiled

Iran maybe a good customer for this plane, if it can get the hard currency together. 200-300 of these planes would totally make over their Air Force. $7-11 Billion for the initial planes and probably a further $7-11 Billion over the lifecycle of 30-40 years. $1 Billion a year towards this project would not be an inconceivable amount for them to spend on such a capability.

Last edited:
Iran maybe a good customer for this plane, if it can get the hard currency together. 200-300 of these planes would totally make over their Air Force. $7-11 Billion for the initial planes and probably a further $7-11 Billion over the lifecycle of 30-40 years. $1 Billion a year towards this project would not be an inconceivable amount for them to spend on such a capability.

I picked them also to be the recipient of the main bulk of aircraft that Sukhoi has already gotten some kind of interest from. Then there is this article which quotes Borisov who's the famous general and his famous desk that had the model of the Checkmate on that famous desk which a photographer took and only captured the front of the fuselage which we've been staring at for the last year or so. So the quote comes from about as reliable a source deep within this Russian program.

The Russian Federation already has an anchor customer for a new light fighter "Checkmate" - Deputy Prime Minister Borisov

We are talking about the foreign air force, he explained to

Zhukovsky. July 20. INTERFAX - Russia has an anchor customer for the new Checkmate light fighter, which was presented to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov told Interfax.

We already have it, we are doing it for him,” Borisov said at the MAKS-2021 air show.

He explained that we are talking about a foreign air force.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=553511&lang=RU

Hard to believe it's the UAE simply because they just tried inking a $23 Billion deal for 20 F-35s and Growlers and Reapers and simulators and missiles etc. etc. The anticipation has geared up again.

In the meantime, nice photoshop.

1626916551593.png

I picked them also to be the recipient of the main bulk of aircraft that Sukhoi has already gotten some kind of interest from. Then there is this article which quotes Borisov who's the famous general and his famous desk that had the model of the Checkmate on that famous desk which a photographer took and only captured the front of the fuselage which we've been staring at for the last year or so. So the quote comes from about as reliable a source deep within this Russian program.

The Russian Federation already has an anchor customer for a new light fighter "Checkmate" - Deputy Prime Minister Borisov

Zhukovsky. July 20. INTERFAX - Russia has an anchor customer for the new Checkmate light fighter, which was presented to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov told Interfax.

We already have it, we are doing it for him,” Borisov said at the MAKS-2021 air show.

Hard to believe it's the UAE simply because they just tried inking a $23 Billion deal for 20 F-35s and Growlers and Reapers and simulators and missiles etc. etc. The anticipation has geared up again.

View attachment 764254

Iran fits the Bill, not only because of its need (to counter GCC F-35s) but it is probably the nation/export customer that cares the least about CAATSA considering it maybe about to get sanctions relief under a potentially renewed JCPOA.

BTW, a decent analysis of this aircraft by a trained aerospace engineer. (Not sure if this has been posted yet, my apologies if it has). After watching this video, I hope, if it is confirmed Pakistan is get to the J-10CE, it gets a modification to apply either RAM paint or use the radar absorptive rubber panels in key places to minimize some of the RCS. This along with ECM may make it a similar platform (minus the external weapons) to this Russian Checkmate fighter.

1626923171526.png

If the above photoshop is accurate (and I'm inclined to believe so), then we can easily see that many Su-57 components were used in Checkmate...

- Canopy / Nose / Cockpit (and likely the avionics and perhaps the radar)
- Wings (excl. LERX part)
- Vertical stabilizers (or stabilators ?)
- Engines
- Landing gears

Practically the only major physical difference is the mid fuselage and the air intake part.. this will definitely reduce a lot of the development and manufacturing cost of the new fighter as it can leverage on the existing production facilities of the Su-57... Also in the case that the Checkmate is not adopted by the RuAF (which would be a pity), the many commonality of parts with Su-57 can help ensure prospective customers of the continuing availability of spare parts for it...

Last edited:
Im not impressed. This is like mig21 of 5th generation fighters. Poor man's 5th gen fighter.

bilaterally approached reliable partners like China, Pakistan & maybe even ksA.
Why china will invest in there 5th gen jet when they have there own two 5th gen jets and also working on 6th gen program .

On other hand Pakistan cant imvest , we all know our financial conditions..

Only possible investors can be from middle east ..

Someone mentioned those little ends on the bases of the canted stabilators as "elevators" that can act in place of H-stabs, but honestly, there is nothing -- so far at least -- that would suggest those things even move, let alone act as somewhat substitutes for H-tabs and give the aircraft pitch and roll ability. They also have radiation emblems on them (if I'm not mistaken on the part) and so that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a rear-facing radar like the Russian typically do with their aircraft and certainly on the Su-57 and now this one and then have it in a movable surface? Doesn't make sense TBH.
The picture that I specifically quoted shows a very obvious break in the surface, suggesting that it is a moving surface. Also, I see no radiation symbols on that surface.

20210722_123909.jpg

Green: No radiation symbols
Red: Clear indication of a moving surface.

If this plan is materialized eventually and still managed to keep its fly away price below $50m, it will be a major competitor to what China can offer in the export market.

The picture that I specifically quoted shows a very obvious break in the surface, suggesting that it is a moving surface. Also, I see no radiation symbols on that surface.

View attachment 764297
Green: No radiation symbols
Red: Clear indication of a moving surface.
A interesting Airframe design for 5th gen and surely not a copy cat of F35 like others

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom