What's new

Russia ready to sell RD-93 engine directly to Islamabad

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A recently concluded defence co-operation agreement between Russia and Pakistan will be followed up by the latter purchasing the Klimov RD-93 aircraft engines directly from Russia, Pakistan's defence minister has told IHS Jane's .

Speaking at the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS) 2014 in Karachi, Defence Minister Khawaja Mohammad Asif said: "We are now looking to purchase aircraft engines like the RD-93 from Russia. This is important for us."

The Sino-Pakistani-produced JF-17 Thunder fighter is powered by the Klimov RD-93, but previous engines were purchased by China from Russia and supplied to the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex at Kamra, where the JF-17s are manufactured.

IDEAS 2014: Pakistani defence minister says Russia ready to sell RD-93 engine directly to Islamabad - IHS Jane's 360

Good news but we need to make sure we also get maintenance depot from Russians so we handle these engines in country.

Though I don't think its a necessary move in light of current arrangements for RD-93 with China specially after Russia-China agreement for upgraded RD-93 series, but would appreciate it as the cooperation in this field would eventually open new horizon of opportunities for us, further this move will also discount some risk related to the future engine of JF-17 program.

I hope overhauling facility of RD-93 will also be negotiated in coming days, if not till now.

Though I don't think its a necessary move in light of current arrangements for RD-93 with China specially after Russia-China agreement for upgraded RD-93 series, but would appreciate it as the cooperation in this field would eventually open new horizon of opportunities for us, further this move will also discount some risk related to the future engine of JF-17 program.

I hope overhauling facility of RD-93 will also be negotiated in coming days, if not till now.

this will be a huge achievement ..

RD 93 engine deal is a great achievement in future we will make it's derivative.

We welcome this step. Next step is to have a full overhaul facility at PAC for we are buying them in numbers.

Although it is a good move but I think real power lies in the brains and not these engines. By that, I mean, a multidimensional collaboration between Russia, Pakistan and possibly China to develop "next" of everything they work on.

I mean...a small project can be initiated by research teams of these countries...as a test case!

A lab somewhere in Pakistan or China or Russia...

If Europe/America are not willing to accept "partners" for R&D...If their elite has huge ego...

Others are not apes...They can think too...

Don't understand a word you say, pal.

Rather than getting engaged with only final product...Levarage Russia with more and more R&D engagements...Russians are very famous for their R&D actvities...So use this oppertunity to diversify for investement in your reserch, scientific education as well as collaboration of the defence production..It will be benifit you more..

Welcoming decision , it would be awesome if we can have both Russian / Chinese variations available for Projects

Overhaul facility for engine would be a tremendous boost to Pakistani Airforce and good move towards Russian - Pakistan friendship

Of course I also don't mind getting engines thru China as well they are our brotherly country as well

Not to gloat, I said this would eventually happen, a long time ago, but everyone laughed at me; Now who's laughing? Not me, because it doesn't really change much.

Hi,

Thank for your comments. For those of us who have been saying that RD93 is an extremely competent power plant---we have been vindicated.
The Chinese engine would still be a consideration---but not until it really matures a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom