What's new

'Revolts to spread to 40 US cities'

Not really chengbhai, over the next 5 to 10 years we will reach a tipping point when the reserve currency will fall, its then we have to worry. everytime the batton is switched between empires there is a war. Last time brits got away cos of german war, its at that time we have to worry and this american regime has to decide whether to accept the new order gracefully or nuke the world and kill everyone

It will happen

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I am sure that will not happen, but then, I do respect the difference of opinion that we have.

im sure if we have a meeting i will be able to convince you. my typings not that hot and I get bored ,lol

Movement Spreads To DC:

WASHINGTON -- Around 35 OccupyDC protesters huddled in a cluster of trees in McPherson Square on Saturday morning during on-and-off rain showers, the beginning of what they said could be a several month-long occupation of the park in the nation's capital.

The protesters, inspired by the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City, are asking for the "repeal [of] corporate personhood," according to the group's website. Thee group is focusing particularly on Citizens United, the landmark 2010 U.S. Supreme Court case that struck down campaign-finance laws applying to corporations and unions, freeing these groups to spend money on independent political ads.

That decision expanded the First Amendment rights for corporations under the legal doctrine called corporate personhood, a theory that gives some legal rights and duties to corporations as if they were people.

Which parts of corporate personhood does OccupyDC want to repeal -- the parts that allow corporations to enter into contracts, or just the Citizens United-related parts that focus on campaign finance law?

Jeffrey Light, a D.C.-based activist lawyer associated with OccupyDC, told The Huffington Post in an interview Friday that Occupy DC doesn't yet have a unified vision of what it means to repeal corporate personhood, but said the protest group would like to start by getting corporation-related campaign finance laws back in place. "We're most concerned with the power of corporations to amass huge amounts of wealth and then to use that to distort the political system. We're also concerned about corporations looking to the First Amendment to overturn legislation enacted by democratically enacted government."

Light said that the group would support some First Amendment rights for non-persons -- OccupyDC would not support the government being able to tell nonprofits that they have to carry anti-gay messages, for example.

"But when we're talking about regulations in the public interest, things like forcing corporations to abide by environmental standards, or campaign finance limits, then it's unreasonable for corporations to be able to override the public interest," he said. "Our concern is about basic democratic principles. Rather than just making theoretical statements about what we'd like the role of corporations to be in an ideal world, we're trying to create actual reforms right now. People aren't coming out in the street because they all have a fixed and agreed-upon idea of exactly where this line should be drawn. People are just really fed up with the status quo right now, and want to see some real changes."

But Light said the group has no current plans to change Citizens United with another lawsuit or by pushing for a constitutional amendment.

"We don't have a consensus yet on what the next step is," Light said. "Unlike some other protests, we're not a nonprofit with already articulated goals. It's kind of a fluid thing right now: just individuals coming together and trying to figure out what kind of actions we should take. So we haven't necessarily articulated our long-term strategy yet.

"And there are of course a lot of different solutions, everything from another Supreme Court case to a constitutional amendment," he added. "We're not necessarily all on the same page as to what the solution would be, but any of those things would be a step in the right direction."

In the meantime, the small contingent of protesters remained in the square Saturday afternoon. Some held protest signs on the K Street NW sidewalk, getting occasional honks from passing traffic. Assuming the rain doesn't drive them away, the protesters have awhile to work out a unified vision.

OccupyDC Protest: Group Pushes Repeal Of Citizens United, Corporate Personhood

Could you please explain a plausible scenario for that to happen.

I could but I dont like typing. but for you... Ok if you look at the world govts holding of dollars over the last 10 years they are reduced from 70% to 60%. the likes of china can not kick the dollar overnight cos they would suffer themselves. The americans in desparation at the systemic failure have had two bouts of quantitive easing with no success. They are considering third. You simply cannot keep this going. Ok enough typing I only like one limers lol

I could but I dont like typing. but for you... Ok if you look at the world govts holding of dollars over the last 10 years they are reduced from 70% to 60%. the likes of china can not kick the dollar overnight cos they would suffer themselves. The americans in desparation at the systemic failure have had two bouts of quantitive easing with no success. They are considering third. You simply cannot keep this going. Ok enough typing I only like one limers lol

I appreciate your effort in typing, but that is not a very plausible scenario I would submit to you.

Movement Spreads To LA:

LOS ANGELES -- The Occupy Wall Street protests have migrated across the country, landing in Los Angeles.

On Saturday morning, hundreds of protestors gathered in Downtown LA for a peaceful march and, for some, the beginning of an overnight occupation. Like the protesters in New York, who have occupied Wall Street since mid-September, or the protesters in San Francisco, who surrounded a Bank of America, Angelenos gathered around the most visible symbol of power they could find -- City Hall.

The crowd, which one protester's sign said represented the "other 99%" of America, was a mix of families with young children, self-described members of the working class, white-collar professionals, the jobless, students and boomers.

Scroll down for photos of the protest.

Andrew Prediletto, a member of National Nurses United who came with his wife and four children, told The Huffington Post, "It's time for Wall Street to pay for the damage that they've done to main street." His 10 year old son Hunter chimed in: "I heard from my Dad about how Wall Street takes money away from poor people, and that's really messed up."

Jeff Moore, who dressed up as the Grim Reaper, said simply, "We've got to take back America from the corporatocracy."

Matt Hollingsworth, who held a sign about belonging to the "top 10%" income bracket, explained, "what the bottom 25% doesn't realize is that most in the top 10 percent agree with them. His friend Francis Della Vecchia agreed with his message, saying, "I invite everybody to join us, even the Tea Party. Because their interests are aligned with ours," not with the nation's wealthiest.

"Thank you Arab Spring," Della Vecchia added. "Welcome American Autumn."

Barring an obvious financial district, and perhaps not wanting to direct the protests at just one bank, Occupy LA explained the reasons for gathering at City Hall in a blog published earlier this week:

City Hall and the surrounding Civic Center are strategic locations for many reasons, we are on the front doorstep of government, albeit city government, it is located in the heart of the city and it is within a few short blocks of an area downtown know as Banker's Hill where several large banks have either corporate headquarters of [sic] regional branches.
The organizers' demands include the "separation of corporations and state" and "a government that actually works for the people," as well as solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street protesters. But despite their stated goal, the action was also made up of groups of disparate causes and organizations, much like the other protests across the country.

People across the City Hall lawn called for everything from the reenactment of the Glass-Steagall Act to Ron Paul for president to the abolishment of the United Nations, a "fascist, one-world government." But despite the variety of pet projects, the crowd seemed absolutely united against the villains of the moment -- those who got richer after the recent worldwide recession.

The scene resembled a summertime street festival. Families with young children brought picnic blankets and snacks. Enterprising vendors rolled their carts down to Spring Street and 2nd Avenue, selling ice-cold water bottles and bacon-wrapped hotdogs. A huge truck across the street blared soul music out of speakers on the roof of the vehicle, and artists were setting up their easels to paint their interpretations of the protest.

Organizers didn't apply for a permit for a march, but none was needed as long as protesters stuck to the sidewalks and left space for other pedestrians. Emilio Arreola, one of the protest organizers, was in charge of security for the day and spent the morning shooing people off the streets and off the steps of City Hall once police put up some yellow caution tape. "I'm really proud of everyone that came down here today. This has gone off without a hitch, which is phenomenal," said Arreola. "The police have been absolutely awesome... They've been 100 percent behind us -- and the fire department too." Arreola also said the march had been so orderly, a couple of police units were pulled off duty from the event.

Louis Esparza, a sociologist professor at Cal State Los Angeles, was there to take notes on the nascent occupation. "The seems more like an event than like a movement," observed Esparza, "but we shall see."

Photos by The Huffington Post.

'Occupy LA' Protest Underway At City Hall (PHOTOS)

I appreciate your effort in typing, but that is not a very plausible scenario I would submit to you.

ok am a bit busy at the moment in a biz deal. But in the not too distant future its my intention to do a scholarly article on democracy ill do one on us dollar as well. I promise you will be impressed I predicted the systemic failure. You can talk to my bank manager if you wish and he will tell you that I made money from predicting it 2 years befor it happend.

ok am a bit busy at the moment in a biz deal. But in the not too distant future its my intention to do a scholarly article on democracy ill do one on us dollar as well. I promise you will be impressed I predicted the systemic failure. You can talk to my bank manager if you wish and he will tell you that I made money from predicting it 2 years befor it happend.

I'll be waiting to read your article.

LOL..speak about American propaganda!

Yes lets forget wikileaks ever existed, lets forget about Bradley Mannings and Julian Assange :lol:
Take from the later sources too, let us also pretend what we saw on the internet doesn't exist and lets pretend what we hear about media blacking out in America to be totally untrue and is the work of great Russian and Chinese propaganda! :lol:
Look up how of copies Assange's bio that actually SOLD. Laughable, ain't it? Manning? He is already forgotten and Assange will soon follow. People will still remember the Chinese government's slaughter of Tiananmen Square long after they have discard Assange and Manning. And it is funny that you would mention the Internet considering how many of you Chinese boys denied that such a slaughter occurred in Tiananmen Square, or that Mao caused one of the greatest famine in history, and that the media is supposedly 'blacking out' these events when anyone with Internet access can find them easily enough.

If you want to speak of denial, look at China with literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of violent protests PER YEAR. Got so bad that the Chinese government no long publish that report. Not only that, there are villages with no women, giving the country epidemic Sperm Retention Headaches (SRH). Guess who is more in danger of collapse?
Sir! Are you guyz are jealous of the peace and economic development in China?

My Heros :) the police.

My god that's horrible why are they randomly arresting people? The people are so nicely behaved. If they had to deal with Jamaat-e-Islaami they would know.

Shameful indeed! This police does not deserve such a nice crowd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gambit, why exactly are you being defensive? Your nation's people are doing the right thing and fighting injustice, inequality and corporate greed! I mean does the notion that all is well in America needs to be defended by pointing out "Oh there are protests in China too". So what? This is a peaceful, organized protest and the government is going to get sued.

I remember a protest a friend of mine got arrested in just like these guys have been back in 2002, 2003. He sued the government and all the protesters there with him got a settlement for like USD 20,000 each. Not bad eh? Why don't you go join in and hope to get arrested :D

Clearly from the videos it seems like the police is randomly arresting people and hoping that the rest of them would scare away. Instead its galvanizing the people even more to fight the evil arm of corporate America.

Gambit, why exactly are you being defensive? Your nation's people are doing the right thing and fighting injustice, inequality and corporate greed! I mean does the notion that all is well in America needs to be defended by pointing out "Oh there are protests in China too". So what? This is a peaceful, organized protest and the government is going to get sued.

I remember a protest a friend of mine got arrested in just like these guys have been back in 2002, 2003. He sued the government and all the protesters there with him got a settlement for like USD 20,000 each. Not bad eh? Why don't you go join in and hope to get arrested :D

Clearly from the videos it seems like the police is randomly arresting people and hoping that the rest of them would scare away. Instead its galvanizing the people even more to fight the evil arm of corporate America.
You mean all governments are just, fair, and benevolent? No, am not being defensive and am not using the mess that is China to justify my criticisms of this 'discussion'. Am only using the mess that is China to give comparable contexts to what is going on here in the US.

You mean all governments are just, fair, and benevolent? No, am not being defensive and am not using the mess that is China to justify my criticisms of this 'discussion'. Am only using the mess that is China to give comparable contexts to what is going on here in the US.

It is unnecessary especially given that its a good thing that your people won't take this nonsense. You think anyone looks down to Arab revolutions? I'm hoping for one in Pakistan!

In a democracy the power must remain with the people. Unfortunately in all of them society is structured in such a way that power is skewed to a handful of them. Which is why in the Muslim world the power of democracy is never given any weight, people keep hoping for a benevolent dictator. Power of the people falls flat against the power of the money in the way the society is structured.

Pakistan is no different. Richest man = President. Second richest man, leader of the opposition to the President.

It is unnecessary especially given that its a good thing that your people won't take this nonsense. You think anyone looks down to Arab revolutions? I'm hoping for one in Pakistan!

In a democracy the power must remain with the people. Unfortunately in all of them society is structured in such a way that power is skewed to a handful of them. Which is why in the Muslim world the power of democracy is never given any weight, people keep hoping for a benevolent dictator. Power of the people falls flat against the power of the money in the way the society is structured.

Pakistan is no different. Richest man = President. Second richest man, leader of the opposition to the President.
This kind of platitude sounds good as a campaign slogan but problematic in practice. Did not the communist experiment where such 'power to the people' sloganeering ended up with mass murders, gulags, oppression, and economic doldrums wherever it was imposed? It is precisely the American abandonment of the search for a benevolent dictator that gave the country and its people the freedoms and economic prosperity that we enjoy today. No...!!! Am not saying the US is perfect. But as far as we are from perfection, as if anyone can even imagine what perfection look like, the US is equally ahead from most of the world in that same distance. The idea that each man should be master of his castle and captain of his own fate is exactly 'power to the people'.

Back
Top Bottom