What's new

Reliance to enter homeland security, hires Lall from Boeing

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Reliance to enter homeland security, hires Lall from Boeing

Mukesh Ambani-controlled Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) may be looking at major forays into homeland security and aerospace sectors. In the first firm indication of the group's intention, it has hired Vivek Lall, a former NASA scientist who aggressively led Boeing's military and commercial division in India for several years.

Lall is joining RIL as president for a new venture which would be focused on homeland security and aerospace, sources said. A RIL spokesperson declined to comment.

According to market sources, Lall could be leading the new RIL venture with cutting-edge homeland security solutions. There is also speculation that the group could go further down and enter aerospace arena at an appropriate time, one source said.

Reliance sources said Lall's appointment to pursue opportunities in the homeland security space is synergistic with the group's plans for broadband wireless access services. The group is expected to roll out the next generation technology services soon. RIL is looking to develop safe and secure smart cities as well as systems for disaster management preparedness.

When Lall headed the Boeing commercial arm it won over $25 billion worth of commercial aircraft business in three years, and during the past four years when he headed defence, space and security the company scooped up almost $10 billion worth of business in India.

RIL's foray into the security sector could have significant impact on the entire industry, given the over-dependence of India on foreign suppliers for security solutions. Homeland security is a major growth sector, with national security agencies and state police forces on an unprecedented modernization drive. There is also a major demand for homeland security solutions from the private sector -- RIL itself is among the biggest consumers of security solutions in the country.

RIL's entry into homeland and aerospace security could have a far bigger impact than the entry of Indian groups such as Tata, L&T and Mahindra.

Lall is among the new breed of professionals to join RIL from other companies. A few years ago, the group had hired R Ravimohan as executive to transform business processes from Standard & Poor's. A few months into his new assignment, Ravimohan had died of a heart attack.

Other professionals who have joined the group in the recent past include ex-Citibanker V Srikanth and Gwyn Sundagul from Tesco Thailand. Srikanth was appointed as deputy CFO in July 2010 while Sundagul heads the Reliance Value retail format since December 2009.

RIL to enter homeland security, hires Lall from Boeing - The Times of India

RELIANCE entering Indian defence?

we might as well surrender all our arms and ammunition to Pakistan today, save some money

that is a good news if we consider competition for government entities but i smell bribing fiesta for our babus too :)

I didnt get this line frm source - RILs entry will have much bigger impact than Tata, L&T , mahindra .

Wht's so special in RIL ? :huh:

I didnt get this line frm source - RILs entry will have much bigger impact than Tata, L&T , mahindra .

Dude, do you remember what reliance did to the telecom industry when they entered the market. They have petro-money.

Reliance has the influence, money and the will to be the best in whatever they do.

I seriously hope that they enter the defence sector in a big way.

but the problem is that reliance is not one of those companies which r known to follow ethics,for them profit matters the most,this Indian private comapnies need to be under a tight check from the authorities especially when they r in the defense market.

Reliance as an entity has a poor image in the country when it comes to ethics. This is not to say that Tata, Mahindra and L&T will do a better job - it is just that Reliance's image sucks

reliance has much more influence than others......and what ever sector they entre in india they make it gold.........i think they can do much fast r&d than others.......what an ideal defence sector it would be when....tata will make armour vehicles..........l&t will delop defense infrastructure.....mahindra will develop transprt aircraft and armour vehicles .........reliance will change communication between solgers

Good to see some private companies into defense like LM & Boeing

Dude, do you remember what reliance did to the telecom industry when they entered the market. They have petro-money.

Lolz telecom industry .
Reliance is one of the worst companies tht I have seen .
When reliance entered the telecom market , my mom had bought their sim card .
It was postpaid , my mom got a bill of 4k in 1st month and even after complaining bill was around 3k the 2nd month.
The same problem was faced by mom's friends .
Then shifted to Idea and bill was 800 only

Above all they are the most corrupt organisation coupled with the usage of unethical business tactics . It could be a nightmare for defence sector if they are not watched

Back
Top Bottom