bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Railway to run special mango train on Chapainawabganj-Dhaka route from June 13
Published: June 08, 2022 18:52:40 | Updated: June 09, 2022 08:49:23

Railway to run special mango train from on June 13

A ‘special mango train’ will operate on Chapainawabganj-Dhaka route from June 13 to transport mangoes at lower cost, said authority on Wednesday.

The special train will start its journey from Rahanpur railway station in the afternoon on June 13, said Rajshahi Railway (West) General Manager Asim Kumar Talukder.

The first Mango Special Train was inaugurated on 5 June, 2020 to transport mangoes from Chapainawabganj to Dhaka, reports UNB. The train, which ran till July 21 of that year, transported 167 metric tonnes (MTs) of mangoes. Bangladesh Railway earned revenue of Tk 0.21 million.

The train was launched for the second time on May 27 last year and it transported 236 MTs of mangoes till July 16. The revenue was Tk 1.34 million.

Chapainawabganj Railway Assistant Station Master Obaidullah said the cost of mango transportation this year has not been fixed yet. However, the train has been transporting mangoes at the rate of Tk 1.31 per kg for the last two years.

The train having the capacity of carrying 150 tonnes in its five wagons will depart Chapainawabganj for Dhaka via Rajshahi every day. The train will have stoppage for loading mangoes at 14 stations on the Chapainawabganj-Dhaka rail route.

This is similar to the Tropicana Juice train which carries oranges from Florida to Washington DC, Pennsylvania and beyond to be squeezed and juiced in industrial juicing (and post-juicing fruit concentrate) operations. But they use upwards of 30-50 wagons, instead of the five we use and refrigerated wagons are used unlike Bangladesh. Hopefully operations will grow in Bangladesh.

This Tropicana operation is only carried for the Orange Harvest season in Florida.

iu

Railway to run special mango train on Chapainawabganj-Dhaka route from June 13
Published: June 08, 2022 18:52:40 | Updated: June 09, 2022 08:49:23

Railway to run special mango train from on June 13

A ‘special mango train’ will operate on Chapainawabganj-Dhaka route from June 13 to transport mangoes at lower cost, said authority on Wednesday.

The special train will start its journey from Rahanpur railway station in the afternoon on June 13, said Rajshahi Railway (West) General Manager Asim Kumar Talukder.

The first Mango Special Train was inaugurated on 5 June, 2020 to transport mangoes from Chapainawabganj to Dhaka, reports UNB. The train, which ran till July 21 of that year, transported 167 metric tonnes (MTs) of mangoes. Bangladesh Railway earned revenue of Tk 0.21 million.

The train was launched for the second time on May 27 last year and it transported 236 MTs of mangoes till July 16. The revenue was Tk 1.34 million.

Chapainawabganj Railway Assistant Station Master Obaidullah said the cost of mango transportation this year has not been fixed yet. However, the train has been transporting mangoes at the rate of Tk 1.31 per kg for the last two years.

The train having the capacity of carrying 150 tonnes in its five wagons will depart Chapainawabganj for Dhaka via Rajshahi every day. The train will have stoppage for loading mangoes at 14 stations on the Chapainawabganj-Dhaka rail route.

Don’t use chemicals and export to U.K.

I love mangoes.

Pakistani and Indian varieties very popular in U.K.

Others are cheap and not very nice.

This is similar to the Tropicana Juice train which carries oranges from Florida to Washington DC, Pennsylvania and beyond to be squeezed and juiced in industrial juicing (and post-juicing fruit concentrate) operations. But they use upwards of 30-50 wagons, instead of the five we use and refrigerated wagons are used unlike Bangladesh. Hopefully operations will grow in Bangladesh.

This Tropicana operation is only carried for the Orange Harvest season in Florida.

iu
America is a big country that can feed almost half the world's population. As such, the fruits also grow in too high a quantity. So, they need vast long cargo trains to carry the fruits to the juice companies.

Here in Japan, I sometimes visit COSTCO to see the American fruits or juice. Just like a large American map, very big in number or size.

In the case of the present mango train in BD I think it is a huge improvement from the past. Now, the trains can move over the Jamuna Bridge, it takes a very short time to reach Dhaka.

There will be little waste of this fruit if transported by the goods trains.

America is a big country that can feed almost half the world's population. As such, the fruits also grow in too high a quantity. So, they need vast long cargo trains to carry the fruits to the juice companies.

Here in Japan, I sometimes visit COSTCO to see the American fruits or juice. Just like a large American map, very big in number or size.

In the case of the present mango train in BD I think it is a huge improvement from the past. Now, the trains can move over the Jamuna Bridge, it takes a very short time to reach Dhaka.

There will be little waste of this fruit if transported by the goods trains.

Yes @bluesky bhai, I don't think you even need refrigeration for the wagons in Bangladesh. Mangoes do just fine being transported in the heat for a few days...

However juice and concentrate plants near the growing areas are better to avoid damage to the crop (preserve taste/freshness) once harvested. I believe PRAN has plants nearby to process the juice and they make all sorts of mango based products like mango bar (aamshotto), hard mango candy for kids and of course pasteurize, process and pack mango juice and concentrate in bulk and retail packaging. sometimes for export overseas.

There is a huge market for mango juice concentrate in the US exported from Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam. I don't think Pran has tapped that market yet but I'm sure they eventually will.

iu

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom