Quaid e Azam address Arab leaders in 1946

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
EPXqzcqVAAUMbfw

75_thumb%255B2%255D.jpg

Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah (bottom row, third from left) with Grand Mufti of Palestine in Cairo [1946]

Last edited:
Direct Action Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Direct Action Day.............................1946 Calcutta Killings

Dead and wounded after the Direct Action Day which developed into pitched battles as Muslim and Hindu mobs rioted across Calcutta in 1946, the year before independence
Date August 1946
Location... Calcutta, Bengal, British India
Background[edit]

In 1946, the Indian independence movement against the British Raj had reached a pivotal stage. British Prime Minister Clement Attlee sent a three-member Cabinet Mission to India aimed at discussing and finalizing plans for the transfer of power from the British Raj to the Indian leadership.[11] After holding talks with the representatives of the Indian National Congress and the All India Muslim League—the two largest political parties in the Constituent Assembly of India—on 16 May 1946, the Mission proposed a plan of composition of the new Dominion of India and its government.[4][12] The Muslim League demand for 'autonomous and sovereign' states in the northwest and the east was accommodated by creating a new tier of 'groups of provinces' between the provincial layer and the central government. The central government was expected to handle the subjects of defence, external affairs and communications. All other powers would be relegated to the 'groups'.[7]

Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the one time Congressman and Indian Nationalist, and now the leader of the Muslim League, had accepted the Cabinet Mission Plan of 16 June, as had the central presidium of the Congress.[4][13] On 10 July, however, Jawaharlal Nehru, the Congress President, held a press conference in Bombay declaring that although the Congress had agreed to participate in the Constituent Assembly, it reserved the right to modify the Cabinet Mission Plan as it saw fit.[13] Fearing Hindu domination[14] in the Constituent Assembly, Jinnah rejected the British Cabinet Mission plan for transfer of power to an interim government which would combine both the Muslim League and the Indian National Congress, and decided to boycott the Constituent Assembly. In July 1946, Jinnah held a press conference at his home in Bombay. He proclaimed that the Muslim league was "preparing to launch a struggle" and that they "have chalked out a plan".[9] He said that if the Muslims were not granted a separate Pakistan then they would launch "direct action". When asked to be specific, Jinnah retorted: "Go to the Congress and ask them their plans. When they take you into their confidence I will take you into mine. Why do you expect me alone to sit with folded hands? I also am going to make trouble."[9]

The next day, Jinnah announced 16 August 1946 would be "Direct Action Day" and warned Congress, "We do not want war. If you want war we accept your offer unhesitatingly. We will either have a divided India divided or a destroyed India." [9]

In his book The Great Divide, H V Hodson recounted, "The Working Committee followed up by calling on Muslims throughout India to observe 16th August as 'Direct Action Day'. On that day, meetings would be held all over the country to explain the League's resolution. These meetings and processions passed off–as was manifestly the central League leaders' intention–without more than commonplace and limited disturbances, with one vast and tragic exception ... What happened was more than anyone could have foreseen."[15]

In Muslim Societies: Historical and Comparative Aspects, edited by Sato Tsugitaka, Nakazato Nariaki writes:

From the viewpoint of institutional politics, the Calcutta disturbances possessed a distinguishing feature in that they broke out in a transitional period which was marked by the power vacuum and systemic breakdown. It is also important to note that they constituted part of a political struggle in which the Congress and the Muslim League competed with each other for the initiative in establishing the new nation-state(s), while the British made an all-out attempt to carry out decolonization at the lowest possible political cost for them. The political rivalry among the major nationalist parties in Bengal took a form different from that in New Delhi, mainly because of the broad mass base those organizations enjoyed and the tradition of flexible political dealing in which they excelled. At the initial stage of the riots, the Congress and the Muslim League appeared to be confident that they could draw on this tradition even if a difficult situation arose out of political showdown. Most probably, Direct Action Day in Calcutta was planned to be a large-scale hartal and mass rally (which is an accepted part of political culture in Calcutta) which they knew very well how to control. However, the response from the masses far exceeded any expectations. The political leaders seriously miscalculated the strong emotional response that the word 'nation', as interpreted under the new situation, had evoked. In August 1946 the 'nation' was no longer a mere political slogan. It was rapidly turning into 'reality' both in realpolitik and in people's imaginations. The system to which Bengal political leaders had grown accustomed for decades could not cope with this dynamic change. As we have seen, it quickly and easily broke down on the first day of the disturbances.[8]

Bihar and rest of India[edit]
A devastating riot rocked Bihar towards the end of 1946. Between 30 October and 7 November, a large-scale massacre of Muslims in Bihar brought Partition closer to inevitability. Severe violence broke out in Chhapra and Saran district, between 25 and 28 October. Very soon Patna, Munger and Bhagalpur also became the sites of serious violence. Begun as a reprisal for the Noakhali riot, whose death toll had been greatly overstated in immediate reports, it was difficult for authorities to deal with because it was spread out over a large area of scattered villages, and the number of casualties was impossible to establish accurately: "According to a subsequent statement in the British Parliament, the death-toll amounted to 5,000. The Statesman's estimate was between 7,500 and 10,000; the Congress party admitted to 2,000; Jinnah claimed about 30,000."[51] However, By 3 November, the official estimate put the figure of death at only 445.[4][44]

According to some independent sources of today, the death toll was around 8,000 human lives.[52]

Some of the worst rioting also took place in Garhmukteshwar in United Provinces where a massacre occurred in November 1946, in which "Hindu pilgrims, at the annual religious fair, set upon and exterminated Muslims, not only on the festival grounds but in the adjacent town" while the police did little or nothing; the deaths were estimated at between 1,000 and 2,000.[53] Rioting also took place in Punjab and Northwest Frontier Province in late 1946 and early 1947.

Seems like Arabs and entire middle east forgot his advice.

Egyptians are the audience here not Arabs. I can only assume British English is a little different than American English but still the entire quote does not have the word Arab in it.

Quaid’s deep concerns over plight of Muslim world

South Asian Muslims struggled under the dynamic leadership of Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, a distinguished political strategist, constitutionalist and parliamentarian, to have a separate sovereign State of their own where they could lead their lives according to Islamic tenets, ensure their advancement, preserve their safety, religion and way of life. Therefore, the fundamental principle on which Pakistan's foreign policy was determined is based on Islamic ideology beside economic and defence considerations.

The Father of the Nation and one of the great nation-builders of modern times, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, will go down in history as one of world's greatest men as despite his physical condition and periodic illness, he worked not only for betterment of South Asian Muslims but also for the Muslim world throughout his political life, The Quaid remained deeply concerned over the deplorable plight of the world Muslims, strongly and eloquently advocating their genuine cause as well as independence and freedom of their areas. He wanted to establish a strong bloc, consisting of all Muslim States, to see that they were united under the banner of Islam as an efficient bulwark against the aggressive and evil designs of their enemies.

The guide of our nation had declared that "Pakistan's foreign policy is one of friendliness and goodwill towards all world nations, and we would gladly make our full contribution to the peace and prosperity of the world". The Founder of the Nation and our first Governor-General had declared that Pakistan would never be found lacking in extending its material and moral support to the oppressed peoples of world and upholding principles of United Nations Charter. He emerged as a leader whose opinion Muslims respected and towards whom they looked for help and guidance.

In an Eid message to Muslim States on 7th August 1948, Quaid-i-Azam said "my message to our brethren Muslim States is one of friendship and goodwill. We are all passing through perilous times. The drama of power politics that is being staged in Palestine, India and Kashmir should serve an eye opener to us. It is only by putting up a United Front that we can make our voice felt in the Councils of the world."

He vehemently opposed Partition of Palestine and condemned establishment of Israel as a dagger in heart of the Arab world. He said "I do still hope that Partition plan will be rejected, otherwise there is bound to be the gravest disaster and unprecedented conflict. The entire Muslim World will revolt against such a decision. Pakistan will have no other course left but to give its fullest support to the Arabs".

In his Presidential address to the Muslim League session in 1937, he stated that the question of Palestine has moved the Musalmans all over India most deeply. Great Britain has dishonoured her proclamation to the Arabs. "May I point out to Britain that this question of Palestine, if not fairly and squarely met, and boldly and courageously decided, is going to be the turning point in the history of the British Empire. The Muslims of India will stand solidly and help the Arabs in every way they can in the brave and just struggle that they are carrying on against all odds".

Speaking at the League's 26th session at Patna in 1938, he stated "Among the immediate issues we have to grapple with is question of Palestine. I know Muslims will not shirk from any sacrifice if required to help the Arabs, engaged in the fight for their national freedom. Men, who are fighting for the freedom of their country, have been subjected to all forms of repression. All our sympathies are with those valiant people who are fighting the battle of freedom against usurpers".

In the course of his Presidential address to the historic session of the All India Muslim League in Lahore on March 23, 1940, Quaid-i-Azam said the Muslims wanted "that the British Government should in fact and actually meet the demands of the Arabs in Palestine".

Addressing an Eid gathering at Bombay on November 2, 1940, he impressed upon the Muslims to give all the assistance they can to Muslim countries. He said "it is our duty to help our Muslim brethren wherever there are, from China to Peru, because Islam enjoins that it is our duty to go to the rescue of our Muslim brethren."

The Quaid in his address to Aligarh Muslim University Union on 9th March, 1944, warned that "if President Roosevelt, under the pressure of the powerful World Jewry, commits the blunder of forcing the British Government to do injustice to the Arabs in Palestine, this would set the whole Muslim World ablaze from one end to another". He hoped that "the US will revise their attitude toward Palestine."

Quaid-i-Azam in a telegram to Prime Minister Attlee in 1945, said "President Truman's reported Palestine immigration proposal is unwarranted, encroaching upon another country, monstrous and highly unjust. It is my duty to inform you that any surrender to appease Jewry at the sacrifice of Arabs would be deeply resented and vehemently resisted by Muslim world and Muslim India and its consequences will be most disastrous."

The Arabs had gratefully acknowledged Quaid-i-Azam's pledges of Indian Muslims' unstinted support to the Palestinian people for their just cause. Mufti of Palestine Muhammad Aminel-Husseni in his letter to M.A. Jinnah on 12th October, 1945, commended his services for the cause of Islam and Muslims. He said" I would affirm to you that the whole of the Islamic world values your and the Muslim League's stand and admires your continuous blessed efforts in the services of Muslims". Again in his letter on 16th October 1946, the Mufti of Palestine highly appreciated the comments of Quaid-i-Azam on the recommendations of the Inquiry Committee on Palestine.

Replying to the telegram from King Imam Yahya of Yemen on 24th December, 1947, Mr Jinnah assured the Arab brethren that Pakistan will do all that is possible to support them in their opposition to UN decision in respect of Palestine which is inherently unjust and outrageous.

The Quaid on 4th of March 1948 said Turkey and Pakistan both as free, sovereign and independent countries could strengthen their ties more and more for the good of both. The Father of the nation while replying to speech of Special Representative to King of Afghanistan on the 3rd of December 1947 said Afghanistan is our closest neighbour with whom for many centuries and many generations, people of Pakistan have had countless religious, cultural and social ties.

When Egypt achieved independence and Britain decided to withdraw its troops, Quaid-i-Azam in a statement on 8th of May 1946 said "I am glad to hear the news that the British Government has decided to withdraw troops from Egypt, and I am sure, the Muslim world will rejoice to hear the news". He visited Cairo in December 1946, and met Egyptian leaders.

In an interview with a B.B.C. correspondent on 19 December 1947, he said "Our sense of justice obliges us to help the Arab cause in Palestine in every way that is open to us." In reply to the speech by Muhammad Pasha el Shuraiki, Jordanian Minister Plenipotentiary, the Quaid emphatically stated "Islam is to us the source of our very life and existence and it has linked our cultural and traditional past so closely with the Arab world that...."

Quaid-i-Azam gave open support to North African Arabs in their struggle to throw off the French yoke. He, therefore, provided all possible diplomatic and material assistance to the liberation movement in Indonesia, Malaya, Sudan, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Nigeria and Algeria. When the Netherlands landed fresh troops in Indonesia, the Quaid in a Press statement in April 1946 condemned the Dutch imperialist hold on Indonesia and said Britain had not played an honourable part in the situation.

The writer is a Senior Journalist, Broadcaster and Ex-Editor, Quaid-i-Azam Papers Project.

Email: makhtarsaeed@hotmail.com

Seems like Arabs and entire middle east forgot his advice.

Even more sinister, Gulf Arabs and Iran are ok with Hindu empire and the mass extermination of Indian, BD, Pakistani/Kashmiri Muslims as it means one less rival in the Muslim world to deal with (namely Pakistan.)

This is also why they jumped aboard the US invasion of Afghanistan (and Iraq) so readily.

Their mindset is not about protecting and defending Islam, but breaking Muslims into pieces to divide up the spoils.

In this case, I vastly prefer Turks, IndoMalay, Somali, Balkans, North African, and West African Muslim brothers to the rotten festering sectarian core which has become the bane of the Islamic world.

Seeing Husseini with Jinnah made my heart warm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom