What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

It’s such a bad idea as we are not living in Middle Ages or time of independence of Pakistan where we have to decide which language we should use URDU or ENGLISH or PERSIAN.

ہم اتنی دیرکاانتظارکیوں کریں ہمیں توآج سےہی اپنی زبان کی حفاظت شروع کردینی چاہیےاوراپنے سوشل میڈیا کے پیغامات میں بھی اردوکااستعمال کرناچاہیے۔ویسےبھی کس کوکل کی خبر
ھے۔
اورجوچین کی مثال دی ہےکہ ترقی یافتہ ممالک اپنی زبان بولتےہیں تو یہ بھی یادرکھیںں کہ چین میں تو سوشل میڈیا کے اپنے ذرائع ہیں۔ ذرا اس بات کو بھی غور میں لایا جائے۔

سرسید نےفضول میں ہی1859 میں مرادآباد اور1862 میں غازی پورمیں مدرسےقائم نہیں کیےتھےکہ وہاں فارسی کےساتھ ساتھ انگریزی علوم پڑھانےکابندوبست کیاگیاتھا۔یہ اس لیےتھاکہ ہم انگریزوں کی سوچ کوجان سکیں۔مگرافسوس کہ آج کہ پاکستانی حکمران ایک چھوٹےبچےکی طرح فیصلہ کرتے ہیں جس کانہ تو کوئی سر ہوتا ہےاور نہ ہی کوئی پاؤں۔

قائداعظم نےبھی انگریزی سیکھی اورخوبصورت طریقےسےانگریزوں کامقابلہ کیا۔ہمیں انگریزی کو ایک بری زبان کےطور پر نہیں لینا چاہیے بلکہ سکولوں اورکالجوں میں تعلیم یافتہ اساتذہ کا چناؤ کرنا چاہیےاورانگریزی کو پرائمری سطح سےشروع کرنا چاہیےورنہ یہ بچےنہ تو آنےوالےخوفناک مسائل کامقابلہ کرسکیں گےاور نہ ہی کوئی نوکری حاصل کرسکیں گے۔

ویسےبھی بندےکو دورکی سوچنی چاہیےکہ ایک حکومت صرف پانچ سال کیلےآتی ہےاورجوفیصلےیہ حکومت کرے امکان ہےکہ آنےوالی حکومت ان کومسترد کر دےاور اس میں نقصان عوام کاہی ہو۔جیسےکہ اب لاہورکےایک بڑےمنصوبےکاحال ہے۔

آگر اردو پڑھانی ہی ہےتوحکمرانوں کوچاہیےکہ اپنےبچوں سےشروع کریں کیونکہ عوام میں تواکثریت اردو بولتی اور پڑھتی بھی ہےاور سارےحکمرانوں اور وزراء کو بین الاقوامی سطح پربھی اس کا استعمال کرناچاہیےکیونکہ ان کےلحاظ سےتب ہی ہم ترقی یافتہ ہو سکتے ہیں۔

شکریہ

اللہ آپ کو آباد رکھے ۔

I have lived in Lahore and there I used to speak in Urdu but in my area I always speak in Punjabi don't know what is harsh but your Punjabi is closer to Urdu
And a lot of different dialects are spoken in Pakistani Punjab

People speak in Punjab if they are from same area or speak same type of Punjabi
No one starts speaking in Punjabi with some stranger from some other part of Punjab otherwise it's better to speak in Urdu

That is the ultimate reality, I tend to speak punjabi only with people of Gujranwala/Gujrat because I know that people from this region speak the form of punjabi/slangs that I speak and have the same "mindset" like me, it is not just the language but also the the "mindset" of the speaker of that language that matters.

I give you an example, the standard word for verb "to say" in Gujranwala/Gujrat area is "Akhna", so we say "oh anda ay" (he says) etc. but in Lahore I never use this word and always use "oh Kehnda ay" because that is the standard there. Similarly we use "oh kam karan diya ay" or "oh kam karda ay paya" (He is doing work), but in Lahore I always used "Oh kam kar riya ay" again because that is the standard there. Similarly in Gujranwla I can use both "Assi kal bazar jana si" but also "Asan kal bazar jana si" but in Lahore I always used "Assi kal bazar jana si" because that is the standard there. These examples can tell you that Lahori punjabi has absorbed too much influence from Urdu language compared to us in Gujranwala/Gujrat GT road area.

I also remeber from my universities days in Lahore (20 years ago) that in hostel I used to have a friend from Sharaqpur (Sheikhupura) and I once said that "Mein barra jillah wan yaar" (I am very lazy) or "Mein ajj lauday alay gujrawala tur jaan ga" (I will go to Gujranwala this afternoon). He advised me that don't use words like "Jillah" (lazy) or "Lauday wela" (afternoon) because "Lahori bachaz" don't get these "thaith punjabi" words. After that I became conscious of this fact and always used the punjabi/urdu words that were popular in Lahore.

Really this is very interesting. Maybe indians face so many diff languages daily they don't mind diff dialects. For eg, when we go rajasthan or other states if they see sardar than they usually use 1-2 words of Punjabi just to get more friendly.And in our punjab also there are dialect but we never avoid to speak punjabi with each other.
Just tell a sardar you know punjabi and he would be so happy and start taking in punjabi no matter how bad or diff your punjabi is.
I'm talking about 90% of cases there are also those sardar who only speak hindi or english.

Stephen Hawking once said, "......................................................
.....................................................". The converter couldn't convert it into understandable language. So it'll remain a mystery that what did Stephen Hawking say.

The point is, if knowledge is not in understandable language it has no value.

Now the question is, what do you want to give to your kid in first five years of schooling, knowledge or proficiency in a language. If you want to give him knowledge then it is best to convert the knowledge into most understandable language. That would be mother tongue or common language of that area.

Like a kid's digestive system is very delicate in initial months and years. You give him soft food like cerelac and mashed bananas. As his digestive system gets stronger he takes harder food and digests it easily. Same is the case with knowledge. You can't give him knowledge in language that he can't absorb easily.

And if the aim is to make the kid proficient in a language, make him read the text of that language more and more. Like in madrassah, kids keep reciting the holy Quran again and again. They become so proficient that they finish two Paras in thirty minutes. Later they add translation, grammar and all that. Same with English.

We have been confusing gaining knowledge and attaining proficiency in a language together. The fact is keep the two separate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom