What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

One thing I have noticed that "indian punjabi"
I have read this thing few times that Punjabi is not spoken in Pakistani Punjab maybe Indians are spreading these lies
I personally believe after listening Punjabi from other areas and have read at Google that the jaangli dialect is the oldest and purest dialect of Punjabi
And these Indians think they are speaking Punjabi and we have forgotten it

I have read this thing few times that Punjabi is not spoken in Pakistani Punjab maybe Indians are spreading these lies
I personally believe after listening Punjabi from other areas and have read at Google that the jaangli dialect is the oldest and purest dialect of Punjabi
And these Indians think they are speaking Punjabi and we have forgotten it

It is all about hype, indian "punjabi" sikhs and hindus tend to be a hyper mouthy people, they just have the ability to talk too much BS on internet and electronic media. Sometimes they appear to be some kind of trivial jokers. We Pakistani Punjabis on the other hand are more sophisticated people who tend to keep low profile. That is such a contrasting difference between them and us.

Last edited:
Instead of making government schools English medium private schools can be made Urdu medium
And then end up with entire generations unable to absorb worldwide information and grow further ignorant.

Urdu needs family support and inclusion in teaching certain subjects, but not replacement of key ideas.

Instead of making government schools English medium private schools can be made Urdu medium

That is the actual elephant in the room, why so much "focus" on the language being used for textbooks/exams/medium of instruction in Government school, why no one talks about the need for reforms in the "private" schools. Government should have the ability to make uniform laws in Punjab that are "strictly" implemented both on government owned and private owned schools.

And then end up with entire generations unable to absorb worldwide information and grow further ignorant.
English is being taught as a compulsory subject anyone who has attended school is not completely illiterate in English

Yeah lets destroy the tiny shred of good education we have in the country in the name of "unification"

English is being taught as a compulsory subject anyone who has attended school is not completely illiterate in English
We all know how it goes...... students learn the bare minimum required to pass classes and struggle to even hold a simple 2 minute conversation in English without needing the aid of their mother tongue. Don't believe me stop some kid on the street who goes to Urdu medium school and strike up an English conversation with him.

Yeah lets destroy the tiny shred of good education we have in the country in the name of "unification"
And how you do know English medium schools are better than Urdu medium

Don't believe me stop some kid on the street who goes to Urdu medium school and strike up an English conversation with him.

I can't do this because I myself can't speak English despite studying in English medium no one can speak only by studying in school

And how you do know English medium schools are better than Urdu medium

I can't do this because I myself can't speak English despite studying in English medium no one can speak only by studying in school

I went to school in Pak and I know which education system is better.

Because your Punjabi is different real Punjabi is spoken in Pakistani Punjab
And we speak it all the time
They were not talking to me but with driving instructor. I didn't say your punjabi is not real lol. Actually it's kinda on the softer side as compared to Indian side which is a little harsher side. But saying you're punjabi is real and so you avoid speaking punjabi to other side is just laughable.

But saying you're punjabi is real and so you avoid speaking punjabi to other side is just laughable.
I have lived in Lahore and there I used to speak in Urdu but in my area I always speak in Punjabi don't know what is harsh but your Punjabi is closer to Urdu
And a lot of different dialects are spoken in Pakistani Punjab

I have lived in Lahore and there I used to speak in Urdu but in my area I always speak in Punjabi don't know what is harsh but your Punjabi is closer to Urdu
And a lot of different dialects are spoken in Pakistani Punjab
I'm not saying you don't speak punjabi in Punjab. I meant those guy who were avoiding speaking punjabi were doing so cause they may have found punjabi to be less cultured which is also case this side, here they start speaking hindi/eng when at office etc .
So it's the job of parents to instill confidence /love for mother tongue. Making urdu medium in schools will make professional career difficult. But each to it's own.
Here government is turning all schools eng medium. So students have option to use eng or punjabi medium in same school/coll

I meant those guy who were avoiding speaking punjabi were doing so cause they may have found punjabi to be less cultured

People speak in Punjab if they are from same area or speak same type of Punjabi
No one starts speaking in Punjabi with some stranger from some other part of Punjab otherwise it's better to speak in Urdu

People speak in Punjab if they are from same area or speak same type of Punjabi
No one starts speaking in Punjabi with some stranger from some other part of Punjab otherwise it's better to speak in Urdu

That is the ultimate reality, I tend to speak punjabi only with people of Gujranwala/Gujrat because I know that people from this region speak the form of punjabi/slangs that I speak and have the same "mindset" like me, it is not just the language but also the the "mindset" of the speaker of that language that matters.

I give you an example, the standard word for verb "to say" in Gujranwala/Gujrat area is "Akhna", so we say "oh anda ay" (he says) etc. but in Lahore I never use this word and always use "oh Kehnda ay" because that is the standard there. Similarly we use "oh kam karan diya ay" or "oh kam karda ay paya" (He is doing work), but in Lahore I always used "Oh kam kar riya ay" again because that is the standard there. Similarly in Gujranwla I can use both "Assi kal bazar jana si" but also "Asan kal bazar jana si" but in Lahore I always used "Assi kal bazar jana si" because that is the standard there. These examples can tell you that Lahori punjabi has absorbed too much influence from Urdu language compared to us in Gujranwala/Gujrat GT road area.

I also remeber from my universities days in Lahore (20 years ago) that in hostel I used to have a friend from Sharaqpur (Sheikhupura) and I once said that "Mein barra jillah wan yaar" (I am very lazy) or "Mein ajj lauday alay gujrawala tur jaan ga" (I will go to Gujranwala this afternoon). He advised me that don't use words like "Jillah" (lazy) or "Lauday wela" (afternoon) because "Lahori bachaz" don't get these "thaith punjabi" words. After that I became conscious of this fact and always used the punjabi/urdu words that were popular in Lahore.

Last edited:
ISLAMABAD: Punjab government plans to say goodbye to English at primary school level and introduce national language, Urdu, as medium of instruction from next academic year i.e. March 2020.

This was announced by provincial Chief Minister Sardar Usman Khan Buzdar on Saturday in a social media post.

Buzdar took to Twitter to explain learning in Urdu language would save the time of teachers as well as students as earlier teachers used to translate various topics from English to Urdu.

Much of their time was thus wasted in translation instead of comprehension as the current medium of instruction is English.

As a result, the pupils fail to learn anything new, he added.

Buzdar further revealed that a survey was conducted by school education department of the province in 22 districts of Punjab.

A large number of teachers, parents and students were asked what in their view should be the medium of learning at schools.

Over 85 per cent were of the opinion that Urdu should be medium of instruction instead of English at schools.

So he said that from next March the medium of instruction in primary schools of Punjab will be Urdu. But English will still be taught as a language.

In the past, Pakistan has seen debates over medium of instruction at schools, colleges and university level.

Two months ago, Senate of Pakistan also passed a resolution recommending the candidates appearing for the country’s Central Superior Services (CSS) exams be allowed to attempt questions in Urdu as well.

On May 14, 2019, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Amir Sirajul Haq moved the resolution in the Upper House, demanding that the CSS exams be taken in Urdu.

He said that China, Japan and other countries developed because of the use of their national language in exams. “We can also progress by holding the CSS exams in Urdu,” he opined.

Sirajul Haq said only five per cent of candidates could pass compulsory subjects.

[iframe height="250" width="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" allowtransparency="" scrolling="no" class="i-amphtml-fill-content" referrerpolicy="unsafe-url" id="google_ads_iframe_3" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: auto; display: block; height: 250px; max-height: 100%; max-width: 100%; min-height: 0px; min-width: 0px; width: 300px; transform: translate(-50%, -50%); top: 0px; left: 0px; position: absolute; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; border-width: 0px !important; border-style: initial !important; padding: 0px !important;"]
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Khan said the CSS exam consisted of six compulsory subjects and 45 optional, and added that all compulsory subjects were taught in English language at universities.

He supported Siraj’s resolution and said the CSS aspirants should be allowed to take their exams in the language of their choice.

Towards the end of the debate, the Senate adopted a resolution with an amendment that Urdu be added as an optional language in the exams alongside English.
It’s such a bad idea as we are not living in Middle Ages or time of independence of Pakistan where we have to decide which language we should use URDU or ENGLISH or PERSIAN.

ہم اتنی دیرکاانتظارکیوں کریں ہمیں توآج سےہی اپنی زبان کی حفاظت شروع کردینی چاہیےاوراپنے سوشل میڈیا کے پیغامات میں بھی اردوکااستعمال کرناچاہیے۔ویسےبھی کس کوکل کی خبر
ھے۔
اورجوچین کی مثال دی ہےکہ ترقی یافتہ ممالک اپنی زبان بولتےہیں تو یہ بھی یادرکھیںں کہ چین میں تو سوشل میڈیا کے اپنے ذرائع ہیں۔ ذرا اس بات کو بھی غور میں لایا جائے۔

سرسید نےفضول میں ہی1859 میں مرادآباد اور1862 میں غازی پورمیں مدرسےقائم نہیں کیےتھےکہ وہاں فارسی کےساتھ ساتھ انگریزی علوم پڑھانےکابندوبست کیاگیاتھا۔یہ اس لیےتھاکہ ہم انگریزوں کی سوچ کوجان سکیں۔مگرافسوس کہ آج کہ پاکستانی حکمران ایک چھوٹےبچےکی طرح فیصلہ کرتے ہیں جس کانہ تو کوئی سر ہوتا ہےاور نہ ہی کوئی پاؤں۔

قائداعظم نےبھی انگریزی سیکھی اورخوبصورت طریقےسےانگریزوں کامقابلہ کیا۔ہمیں انگریزی کو ایک بری زبان کےطور پر نہیں لینا چاہیے بلکہ سکولوں اورکالجوں میں تعلیم یافتہ اساتذہ کا چناؤ کرنا چاہیےاورانگریزی کو پرائمری سطح سےشروع کرنا چاہیےورنہ یہ بچےنہ تو آنےوالےخوفناک مسائل کامقابلہ کرسکیں گےاور نہ ہی کوئی نوکری حاصل کرسکیں گے۔

ویسےبھی بندےکو دورکی سوچنی چاہیےکہ ایک حکومت صرف پانچ سال کیلےآتی ہےاورجوفیصلےیہ حکومت کرے امکان ہےکہ آنےوالی حکومت ان کومسترد کر دےاور اس میں نقصان عوام کاہی ہو۔جیسےکہ اب لاہورکےایک بڑےمنصوبےکاحال ہے۔

آگر اردو پڑھانی ہی ہےتوحکمرانوں کوچاہیےکہ اپنےبچوں سےشروع کریں کیونکہ عوام میں تواکثریت اردو بولتی اور پڑھتی بھی ہےاور سارےحکمرانوں اور وزراء کو بین الاقوامی سطح پربھی اس کا استعمال کرناچاہیےکیونکہ ان کےلحاظ سےتب ہی ہم ترقی یافتہ ہو سکتے ہیں۔

شکریہ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom