What's new

PK Halder arrested in India, staying with fake name Shibshankar Halder posing as Indian Citizen

The two most fiercely nationalistic group of people in Bangladesh are: Sylhetis and Chittagongians.

And neither has Bangla as mother tongue or identifies themselves as “Bengalis”.

Both have strong regional identities.

And both still follow Sufi version of Islam.

And neither ever indulged in left wing politics that thrives in districts bordering West Bengal!
Never heard a Chittagongnian say they are not Bengalis. I have plenty of Chittagonnians in my extended family and friend circle and have even lived in Chittagong for some time. This "not being Bengali" BS comes almost exclusively from older generation Sylhetis. Even younger generation Sylhetis are mostly not buying this BS.

Of course one should be proud of their culture - Sylhetis, Chittagonians, Noakhaillas or Borishaillas. This can be done without denying reality.

Actually the accent of Bengalis from certain parts of West Bengal, Assam, Tripura might have similarities with Bangladeshi accent.
There are two broad groups inside India : Ghoti(west bengal ancestry) and Bangal(east bengal or bangladeshi ancestry), Bangals from these regions might very well have similar accents though keen observers might still discern the differences between Indian Bangals and Bangladeshis.
For your kind information, there are eleven distinct dialects of Bengali, and they correspond very closely to the ancient political sub-divisions that came together to form Bengal.

If you see below, on top is the Rangpur dialect, heavily influenced by its native ethnic component; then follow the two, Malda and Varendra, though many scholars disagree and club them into one; then the big pink patch is Rarhi, that many think is the core of the modern Standard Bengali. There are, again, those who disagree, and believe that the Nadia pandits, who spoke their dialect in the bright red patch below the bright blue of Varendra, imposed their dialect on the rest of the Bengalis, because of their proximity to the Sahibs collating the grammar of the Bengali language.

My own dialect is Dhakaiya, in bright primrose yellow, and my mamabari's dialect was Barisailla, the dour, dark brown patch next to Dhakaiya and Chatgaiya. Between Rarhi and Barisailla are Kolkatti, that is weird: they skip their 'R's! and next to it Jashohori. Sylheti, as always, is up away by itself, that - ah - ochre-coloured patch giving the bird to Dhakaiya.

So if keen observers can discern the difference between Indian Bangals and Bangladeshis, in effect, all they are doing is spotting the difference between my Dhakaiya and Ami Ekti Kharap Phua's dialect (we don't say 'phua', we say 'pola').

1652611023508.png

Please do not confuse Bangladeshi shuddho Bangla (aka Bangladeshi news presenter Bangla) with Kolkata dialect.
What might that be? My guess would be that it's mainly Dhakaiya. Naturally, being based in Dhaka.

If you are a multi-generation Brit of Sylheti origin, I must warn you that there is much more to Bangladeshi culture than what older generation Sylhetis migrants to UK who migrated decades ago would make you believe. They (especially the less educated segment among them) live in an imaginary bubble where Sylhet is a planet on its own with its own unique language - a trait they have acquired from their Assamese cousins on the other side of the fence. I won't be surprised to learn that older gen Sylhetis told you that shuddho Bangla = Kolkata dialect.

I grew up in a part of England that has hardly any ethnic minorities let alone sylhetis.

My family members have married outside sylhet and I travel extensively when I am in BD.

Save your patronising drivel for someone else!
Shanti, shanti. I don't think he meant to be patronising; merely being funny and it didn't quite come off.

Never heard a Chittagongnian say they are not Bengalis. I have plenty of Chittagonnians in my extended family and friend circle and have even lived in Chittagong for some time. This "not being Bengali" BS comes almost exclusively from older generation Sylhetis. Even younger generation Sylhetis are mostly not buying this BS.

Of course one should be proud of their culture - Sylhetis, Chittagonians, Noakhaillas or Borishaillas. This can be done without denying reality.
This obsession with “Bangaliness”is why our senior politicians (including Hasina) are not fluent in English!

And why many Bangladeshis suffer from inferiority complex.

As I said, be like the Americans and be proud of your Bangladeshi identity and stop calling yourself Bengali!

Do Americans identify themselves as English? Despite speaking English!??

PK Halder has embezzled around Tk3,500 crore from ILFSL, Tk2,200 crore from FAS Finance, Tk2,500 crore from Reliance Finance and Tk3,000 crore from People's Leasing. There is almost no mortgage against all these loans, so the chances of recovering the loans are slim, said the ACC.
All this money , he could have just gone to Canada and gotten away with it.

What might that be? My guess would be that it's mainly Dhakaiya. Naturally, being based in Dhaka.
Nah, Dhakaiya is an unique dialect of Bengali just like Sylheti or Chittagongian.
Bangladeshi Shuddho Bangla is a neutral version of Bengali - there are varying theories on where it originated from but one thing is for sure - it has been influenced by many Bangladeshi and West Bengali dialects to arrive where it is today. You would know exactly what I mean next time you pull up a Bangladeshi news clip on YouTube.

This obsession with “Bangaliness”is why our senior politicians (including Hasina) are not fluent in English!

As I said, be like the Americans and be proud of your Bangladeshi identity and stop calling yourself Bengali!

This I agree 10,000 percent with. Learn to speak damn English, people and identify as Bangladeshis. Non-Bengalis like Chakmas are humans too.!

Politicians should never obsess over Bengaliness - it is xenophobic.

There were, in fact, polit

Sure, dear Sir, but you do happen to share your linguistic identity with others who are not Bangladeshi.

There is every reason to build up a Bangladeshi identity, as that is a reality.

It does not conflict, in any way, with a Bengali identity.

For your kind information, there are eleven distinct dialects of Bengali, and they correspond very closely to the ancient political sub-divisions that came together to form Bengal.

If you see below, on top is the Rangpur dialect, heavily influenced by its native ethnic component; then follow the two, Malda and Varendra, though many scholars disagree and club them into one; then the big pink patch is Rarhi, that many think is the core of the modern Standard Bengali. There are, again, those who disagree, and believe that the Nadia pandits, who spoke their dialect in the bright red patch below the bright blue of Varendra, imposed their dialect on the rest of the Bengalis, because of their proximity to the Sahibs collating the grammar of the Bengali language.

My own dialect is Dhakaiya, in bright primrose yellow, and my mamabari's dialect was Barisailla, the dour, dark brown patch next to Dhakaiya and Chatgaiya. Between Rarhi and Barisailla are Kolkatti, that is weird: they skip their 'R's! and next to it Jashohori. Sylheti, as always, is up away by itself, that - ah - ochre-coloured patch giving the bird to Dhakaiya.

So if keen observers can discern the difference between Indian Bangals and Bangladeshis, in effect, all they are doing is spotting the difference between my Dhakaiya and Ami Ekti Kharap Phua's dialect (we don't say 'phua', we say 'pola').

Shanti, shanti. I don't think he meant to be patronising; merely being funny and it didn't quite come off.

In my view the Bengali identity belongs to West Bengal. Same way as the English identity belongs to England.

Bangladeshis should forge their own identity - using our melting pot of Sufi influences - just like the US with their own melting pot of identities.

Nah, Dhakaiya is an unique dialect of Bengali just like Sylheti or Chittagongian.
Bangladeshi Shuddho Bangla is a neutral version of Bengali - there are varying theories on where it originated from but one thing is for sure - it has been influenced by many Bangladeshi and West Bengali dialects to arrive where it is from today. You would know exactly what I mean next time you pull up a Bangladeshi new clip on YouTube.

This I agree 10,000 percent with. Learn to speak damn English, people and identify as Bangladeshis. Non-Bengalis like Chakmas are humans too.!
....and Rajbongshis. They are tribal, too.

In my view the Bengali identity belongs to West Bengal. Same way as the English identity belongs to England.

Bangladeshis should forge their own identity - using our melting pot of Sufi influences - just like the US with their own melting pot of identities.
I hate that thought. Bengali is generally used as a linguistic identifier

The US has gone far beyond using a religious section as a common foundation; that is not a melting pot. That analogy does not hold water.

A Bangladeshi identity is definitely suffused with the Muslim religion. Nobody would object to that. If you use that as a paradigm for submerging differences and evolving something in common, that might be desirable from one point of view, and might not, from others.

Anyway, that is something you, living in Bangladesh and citizens of Bangladesh, will determine for yourselves, whatever we think about it.

Last edited:
There were, in fact, polit

Sure, dear Sir, but you do happen to share your linguistic identity with others who are not Bangladeshi.

There is every reason to build up a Bangladeshi identity, as that is a reality.

It does not conflict, in any way, with a Bengali identity.
Dada! I goto India a lot.

Am always spoilt by the good hospitality.

When people find out I am of Bangladeshi extraction - they go the extra mile.

Once I was served jackfruit on my birthday lol

I didn’t have the heart to say I hated jackfruit.

Of course, as everywhere, there are idiots too.

Very nicely put. I don't like kathal myself.

I didn't mean to say there aren't other dialects Sir though I'm not personally acquainted with most. I believe in India, there is a high degree of intermixing between dialects to the point it gave rize to certain dialects that weren't directly identifiable as being from a erstwhile region. For example in Tripura there will be ethnic Sylhetis or Noakhalis when in reality their accent is more akin to Cummila. Going further south/North you can get some sort of "true" Sylheti/Noakhali but in front of people from the real area they obviously wouldn't sound authentic.

I didn't mean to say there aren't other dialects Sir though I'm not personally acquainted with most. I believe in India, there is a high degree of intermixing between dialects to the point it gave rize to certain dialects that weren't directly identifiable as being from a erstwhile region. For example in Tripura there will be ethnic Sylhetis or Noakhalis when in reality their accent is more akin to Cummila. Going further south/North you can get some sort of "true" Sylheti/Noakhali but in front of people from the real area they obviously wouldn't sound authentic.
You have a point. The mixture of dialects does create confusion.

I'm just happy that (with a mental gear change in the airport lobby), it is possible to become a native of Dhaka, and change back to being a West Bengali at Dum Dum again.

Very nicely put. I don't like kathal myself.
Who the hell decided to make this abomination of a "fruit" to be a cultural symbol in this part of the world?
I find it’s smell and internal texture mindnumbing.

You have a point. The mixture of dialects does create confusion.

I'm just happy that (with a mental gear change in the airport lobby), it is possible to become a native of Dhaka, and change back to being a West Bengali at Dum Dum again.
Who the hell decided to make this abomination of a "fruit" to be a cultural symbol in this part of the world?
I find it’s smell and internal texture mindnumbing.
I don't know. I run from it, always have.

I have never heard a Bangladeshi speak in a Kolkata dialect (except when doing an impression of a WB Bengali).
Please do not confuse Bangladeshi shuddho Bangla (aka Bangladeshi news presenter Bangla) with Kolkata dialect.

That's absurd, I've never heard of a Bangladeshi trying to speak Kolkata accent. It makes no sense. He's definitely confusing the standard (shudho) speech with Kolkata dialect.
(for the nerds: the standard variety evolved from dialect of Nadia region, which currently stands divided between WB and BD).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom