What's new

Pick Your all-time World XI !!!!!

su-47

Reaction score
As some of you might now, Cricinfo is picking an All Time World XI test team. The nominees are chosen from the All Time XI for each test playing nation.

Here are the All-Time XI for each nation:

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - Australia

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - England

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - India

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - New Zealand

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - Pakistan

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - South Africa

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - Sri Lanka

All-time XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com - West Indies

Cricinfo will be releasing their choice on October 12th. But in the meantime, readers are also encouraged to pick an All-Time World XI. Here's the link, where you can pick your own team from the nominees

World All-time Test XI | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

After picking the team, share why you chose each individual players. And we can compare our results to the ones produced by Cricinfo :cheers:

Last edited:
i think there shud be all time 11 from this forum.jana captain and molawchai vice captain.

Difficult. But if we pick up cricketers who disgraced the nation by match-fixing lot of Pakistani cricketers will surely find a place in the World 11.

Forget everyone else, I can't believe you didnt pick Sir Donald Bradman! And hey, explain your choice for your world XI

Anyway, Here's My XI http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/magazine/world_xi/31724.html

I chose 2 openers, 3 Middle order batsmen, 2 all rounders, 1 wicketkeeper and 3 bowlers. And i considered things like team balance and chose the players depending on that.

Openers
Jack Hobbs: The most first class runs, and a career spanning several decades. Consistent and stylish at the top of the order

Virender Sehwag: Perfect balance of consistency (average of above 54) and destructive batting. Can swing the momentum of the game, and turn a draw into a win.

Middle Order
Sir Don Bradman : An Average of 99.94 pretty much makes him the most certain entry in any team.

Sachin Tendulkar: The greatest batsman of the modern era. Most runs, most centuries, most matches played, and still going strong. The numbers speak for themselves

Graeme Pollock: Rated as the best left arm batsman the world has produced. Even Bradman recognised him as a real talent.

All-rounders:
Garfield Sobers: Batting average of over 57, and bowling average of 34. And could bowl either pace or spin effectively. Vastly experienced and devastating to boot.

Sir Richard Hadlee: Almost single-handedly carried New Zealand, and was amongst the greatest fast bowlers of all time. Some say, THE best.

Wicket Keeper:
Adam Gilchrist: The best wicket keeper batsman to play test cricket by a good margin. A great combination of consistency and devastating power lower down the order.

Bowlers:

Malcolm Marshall: An average of less than 21 shows just how incredibly destructive he was. And it might have been even better f he didnt have to share the ball with other legends like Holding, Croft and Garner.

Wasim Akram: One of the most complete bowlers of all time. And a real terror to any batting line up. A deadly combination of pace, bounce, accuracy and swing.

Muttiah Muralitharan: 800 test wickets and the ability to turn the ball with incredible deception. Perhaps even the greatest bowler of all time.

Note: In my line-up, Hadlee should bat AFTER Gilchrist, but the website doesnt allow to line up the batting order like that

Last edited:
This is a bizarre exercise. Stupid I would say. I can just make two choices one is Don bradman and the other Adam Gilchrist. For all the others you can not make up your mind.

anybody opening with Saeed Anwar :P

Anybody in middle order with Inzamam

Anybody bowling alongside Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram

Sorry i think dhoni or sanagakara is better choice for keeping - Rashid Lateef was a great wicketkeeper - perhaps better than both of them....but they are better batsmen which is also a great plus point

anybody opening with Saeed Anwar :P

Anybody in middle order with Inzamam

Anybody bowling alongside Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram

Sorry i think dhoni or sanagakara is better choice for keeping - Rashid Lateef was a great wicketkeeper - perhaps better than both of them....but they are better batsmen which is also a great plus point

Zaki, it is an all-time World XI...not restricted to the 90s and not restricted to Pakistan. Of all your names, only Wasim and Waqar have a chance to be even considered. Wasim is always my pick, but Waqar was less dangerous in my opinion.

Anwar was a great on his day, but has a pretty modest achievement overall. Inzy, well he was the big disappointment in Pakistani cricket. With the kind of talent he had, he should have been at par with Tendulkar at the time of his retirement. And Lateef? Full marks for blowing the whistle maybe, but I am sure even Pakistan had more competent wicket keepers than him.

Zaki, it is an all-time World XI...not restricted to the 90s and not restricted to Pakistan. Of all your names, only Wasim and Waqar have a chance to be even considered. Wasim is always my pick, but Waqar was less dangerous in my opinion.

Anwar was a great on his day, but has a pretty modest achievement overall. Inzy, well he was the big disappointment in Pakistani cricket. With the kind of talent he had, he should have been at par with Tendulkar at the time of his retirement. And Lateef? Full marks for blowing the whistle maybe, but I am sure even Pakistan had more competent wicket keepers than him.

lol i prefered dhoni and sanagakra over rashid :lol:

and waqar is considered more dangerous than wasim by some cricketers

anyway bye for now

Back
Top Bottom